mharoun
Backing up the WHOLE site!
  • 2004/3/23 19:53

• mharoun

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/6 1

I need to upgrade my site from XOOPS v2.0.1 > 2.0.6. I got the necessary files to do that.

Before the upgrade, I need to backup EVERY THING. Is copying the root directory to another place will be sufficient? Do I need to people’s access to the site during this process?

Herko
Re: Backing up the WHOLE site!
  • 2004/3/23 20:17

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

best way is to make a copy of all your files (you don't have to close your site during this, serving files is the server's job), and make a dump file of your database (just in case, you probably won't need it as there aren't any database changes in 2.0.1 to 2.0.6 as I recall). The database dump you make with your MySQL management tool, like phpmyadmin.
When you're upgrading your site, ie. overwriting your existing files with the newer ones, it is best to close your site for the public (use the Close Site feature in the general settings page of the system admin). This way, people won't get blank pages, and you have the time to test everything before opening up the site again.

Herko

brash
  • 2004/3/23 21:04

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Good to see someone is thinking about backups before an upgrade, instead of after

mharoun
  • 2004/3/24 2:59

• mharoun

• Just popping in

Thanks for your reply Herko,

In order to close my web site for public, I need to access the System Admin module. Unfortunately, the reason I'm upgrading to 2.0.6 is that I lost access to this section, and I tried all possible ways to get access to it, but unfortunately with no success.
See this thread:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17861&forum=7

Now, is there is a back door to shut down my web site through?

Another question, I was trying to download the web site file to my machine using FTP sw, I got some trouble with files like "mail.cache", for some reason I was not able to download it, I checked the permissions, and I change it to -rwe- but with no luck!

mharoun
  • 2004/3/24 13:08

• mharoun

• Just popping in

Any help?

Bulls
  • 2004/4/11 12:25

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Hi

I have a new test site where i need to make an exact copy of my original XOOPS site. Backing up the database is something i have not yet undertaken. Even so will such a method work? By this i mean backing up my main site database and then using that to create a copy on a new test site? The new test site is on another account under a different domain name. I should think file associations are going to be messed up?

Please advise.

Cheers
Bulls
Sites-4u

carnuke
  • 2004/4/11 16:10

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Hello Bulls,

I have just successfully done the exact same thing as you propose, except with addition that I moved the whole site from a sub-dir to the root on the new server.
I did use cpanel on both old and new server, but this is not essential.
It's less painless than it sounds. Here's my brief;

1- backup database (cpanel backup)otherwise MySQL admin. (GZ format)
2- backup whole XOOPS directory (Iused ftp here as I needed to change some things, but you could use cpanel backup again)
3- create db on new server (I used exact same name and password)
4- restore db in cpanel to the db you just created.
( I think you could go straight to step 4 and miss out 3.)
5-upload XOOPS files via ftp or use the restore feature in cpanel.

6- Here's the important part: You need to reconfigure manually mainfile.php to match all your new conection strings. This is critical and you need to get it right, or else you won't get a connection with your site.

7- Go to your restored site home page and login. Go to admin and update system module and all the other modules you have installed.

8- your site should be mainly working now.

9-If you have any hardcoded site referencing urls in the database, these will still be pointining to the old addresses, so you will need to correct these. Likwise any hardcoded URLs in any html and php pages in the file set.

10- I changed hard-codedURLs by using MySQL admin but also downloading a little program called Win-GZ. It will allow you to decompress your database on your local machine as a flat file that you can edit, either directly or using a find and replace function. Then Win-GZ will recompress the DB back to a .GZ format ready for restoring to the server.

Hope this helps. Take it slow, make backups, keep off the whisky and smile...

Richard. PS This is my one-off experience that was successful. HOWEVER, if I have left any pointers out will others please chip in here!

Bulls
  • 2004/4/11 21:11

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Hello Carnuke

Cheers. No way would i have been able to do this without the info you have provided. I still have to carry out your proposals but well i ain't really bothered cos with a test site i can make **** ups and not be too upset. I tend to learn from mistakes usually.

By the way how did you know i drink whisky? Though running this new site has kind of kept me off the stuff. Bad enough being sober developing a new site.

I am going to be providing file downloads soon. Maybe trial software etc. Not sure this site will benefit if i store XOOPS files but will look into it.

Again thanks for the info.

Bulls

Bulls
  • 2004/4/11 21:12

• Bulls

• Just popping in

Hello Carnuke

Cheers. No way would i have been able to do this without the info you have provided. I still have to carry out your proposals but well i ain't really bothered cos with a test site i can make **** ups and not be too upset. I tend to learn from mistakes usually.

By the way how did you know i drink whisky? Though running this new site has kind of kept me off the stuff. Bad enough being sober developing a new site.

I am going to be providing file downloads soon. Maybe trial software etc. Not sure this site will benefit if i store XOOPS files but will look into it.

Again thanks for the info.

Bulls
Sites-4u

carnuke
  • 2004/4/11 21:46

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Your welcome

It's still fresh in my mind so it was a good practice to write it out. Good luck with the site. Personaly I prefer a LOL

Richard

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits