kwerle
No access for anonymous users
  • 2004/4/1 21:00

• kwerle

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/25

I would like to give no access to anonymous users. All I want them to be able to do is log in.

In theory, this should be easy (use the blocks admin menu to only allow access to the login block for anon users). In practice the blocks menu seems to bleed access rights from one group (anon) to other groups (registered and webmaster). This means that when I disable everything for anon users, ALL users get disabled.

This seems like a bug, but I'm not sure - maybe I just don't understand the feature...

Any advice appreciated.

kwerle
Re: No access for anonymous users
  • 2004/4/2 18:58

• kwerle

• Just popping in

Bump

Mithrandir

That should not happen.

If you set all module access to none, set front page to none and only set login block visible to anonymous users as well as the normal contents and access to registered users, they should have access after login.

kwerle
  • 2004/4/2 20:01

• kwerle

• Just popping in

That's what I figure - but like I said, when I turn things off for anon users, it turns them off for other users, too.

ie. Disable all blocks for anon users except login. Click submit (or whatever the button is). It refreshes and shows regular users with everything turned off. Click webmaster and go, and everything is turned off there, too.

The same thing happens in reverse, too (set something for admin and it affects regular and anon).

How can I debug this? I could (I suppose) set up a virgin install for you to witness this behavior on - but I would think any virgin install would be the same.

philou
  • 2004/4/2 21:55

• philou

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/5/6 8

try to close your site. and in the preferences allow only members to access to your closed site

kwerle
  • 2004/4/2 23:38

• kwerle

• Just popping in

Yeah, that's a lame solution that I considered...

Problem is that I want to be able to register new users.

Dave_L
  • 2004/4/3 0:05

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
... like I said, when I turn things off for anon users, it turns them off for other users, too.

Are you sure you're doing it correctly? Are you doing this from the Groups adminstration page, or the Blocks administration page? The former controls group access. The latter controls global visibility.

kwerle
  • 2004/4/3 0:31

• kwerle

• Just popping in

Quote:
Are you sure you're doing it correctly? Are you doing this from the Groups adminstration page, or the Blocks administration page?

No, I'm not sure.

I'm doing this from the Blocks Administration page.

Looks like it should do exactly what I want.

Oh, hey, the groups page does the same kinda thing. I'll try that.

Sure is confusing, though.

That did the trick. Thanks. The UI for the Blocks page is VERY misleading.

davidl2
  • 2004/4/3 8:23

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Yes, I found the same problem.

I normally find it easier to turn on for registered users all the required blocks - and simply to turn off what is not required for unregistered users by group access.

(I also use a message advising people how to log in if they cant - and turn that off for registered users - and on for anonymous... believe me, it has helped drop silly registering enquiries a lot! :))

Login

Who's Online

114 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 114

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits