jeffiam
What is the best way to present the weather?
  • 2004/3/30 16:30

• jeffiam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/11

Hello all... I'm looking for the best way to present weather on my site. I've looked and MS-weather and XP-weather and the Weather Block by npetreley. These are nice but I would like to know how some others out there in XOOPS land are handling this. Thanks!

Stewdio
Re: What is the best way to present the weather?
  • 2004/3/30 17:11

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

This isn't a positive reply to your question, but the best way for me to handle weather is to avoid it in the first place.

Of some 1000 regular vistors that come to my site every month, I would say 2 people are actually in my geographic area. People in Holland or Japan just don't care what the weather is, unless it can be modified by the country of the origniating IP address.

Just my 0.02$

carnuke
  • 2004/3/30 17:33

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I use XP weather and I can allow registered users to change and set locations from a long world list in the DB as part of the mod functions. I think MS weather has a similar option. Stewdio's comment about weather is the same as mine about online games. (yawn) ...Guess that's what makes all sites a bit different. To address the original question though, There are three main contenders that I'm aware of. MSweather, VLweather and XPweather. THe real decider, other than style of display is if there are stations located in the DB for the regions you want to show. They are not all the same source feeds, some can have extra stations added and some are. apparently fixed.

Having said all that, there is also an option to provide a weather feed to your site that is NOT a XOOPS module, displayed in a block as an include or iframe.

So there's my take on it... and just like real weather here in UK ... very variable

Richard

jeffiam
  • 2004/3/30 19:41

• jeffiam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/11

Thanks for the input. Any idea on the differences between XPweather and MSweather?

carnuke
  • 2004/3/30 19:48

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Go to 123rando.com He has both modules running! He can also help you with further enquiries and weather feeds

Richard

Login

Who's Online

743 user(s) are online (330 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 743

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits