caramuxo
Module news multi-column?
  • 2004/3/25 8:55

• caramuxo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/7

Does a patch exist to the module 'news' to make it multi - column likehttp://www.adslnet.ws ?

Sorry for my English...

Mithrandir
Re: Module news multi-column?

We (Hervé and I) are currently working on such a feature for next version of News module - but alas, it doesn't exist yet.

hsalazar
  • 2004/3/25 13:51

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

caramuxo:

For the moment, you can obtain the same results tweaking a couple of files. How? In your XOOPS distribution you have a folder called extras, and inside there's a theme_x2t/extras folder. There you have files to replace the original templates for x2t in order to obtain a 2-column layout in your news index page.

Cheers.

Mithrandir

Damn - has everything I do been done before?

Well, I can't find the extras folder on XOOPS CVS... And I have got it to work with more than 2 columns in the "classic" view (the one in the News module now)

hsalazar
  • 2004/3/25 15:12

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

Mithrandir:

Remember Solomon said there's nothing new under the sun... However, I'd like to add that I'd love the News module to feature multicolumn formats controlled from the admin side, instead of fixed in the template.

If you take a look at Spotlight, it includes such an option: you can choose between a "pile" or a "side-by-side" version of the components of the block. Depending on the value of this config item, the template shows a different version of the block.

This makes templates bigger, of course, but not so much that it will affect performance, and there's of course the fact that once loaded the first time, the template will reside in cache.

Cheers.

Mithrandir

As it is now in the version, we work on, things look like this:

There are 2 views: "By Topic" or "Classic"
There can be 1-5 columns
Both preferences set in module preferences.

The Classic view will show the news as now. Columns will show the most recent news item left, the next in the right column and so on until the number of columns is reached. The next item will then be in the left-most column on the second row and so on and so forth.

The By Topic view will list the most recent news item in a Spotlight-like table with the not-so-recent news items listed with title below - and if columns are set, the topics will be shown like news items in the above.

Apart from that, there is no "Submit News" link in main menu for users without submit rights.
Users with approve rights will be presented with the full submit news form with a checkbox for approving news directly from the input form.

Comments link is no longer shown, if there are no comments to show.

That's how far, we have come so far.

hsalazar
  • 2004/3/25 15:27

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

Mithrandir:

This is looking good! If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Cheers.

Mithrandir

There will be a beta soon, where your input is very much appreciated

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits