kotis
Advanced Downloads Module
  • 2004/3/25 10:33

• kotis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/23

I search everywhere but it seems that there is no working module that can extend or replace the current download module. I think that in a community portal like xoops, the ability for users to be able to upload files is a must, by at the moment no such functionality exist, not even as a hack.

I tried some older versions (MyDownloadsRC etc... - ALL OF THEM) but they fail to work properly...

If someone is able to extend the downloads module to support user uploads (and maybe permissions like WMDownloads) please let me know...

Regards,
Karasardelis Kostas

cuckston
Re: Advanced Downloads Module
  • 2004/3/25 11:39

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

Doing a quick search around the forums i found that if you download a module called mydownloads => install it=> Go to preferences => then select yes for Allow user uploads? this will allow users to upload files when they go to submit.

domineaux
  • 2004/3/25 14:07

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Just to make sure we're on the same page.

The 2.0.6 version of XOOPS has the module mydownloads, and there is no selector to "Allow User Uploads". The submit screen only shows a URL entry box.

Also, the images used by the users submitting the download cannot be handled without a URL as well.

It would be a nice feature to allow the submitting user to upload a graphic image and the file for download with browse his own PC files and select the files for upload.

I prefer to host files for downloads, because users are annoyed with bad links, permissions, restrictions and other issues. People are constantly changing sites as evidenced right here in our own downloads section. Click a few links in the boxes.

I like to host my own download and associated graphic files. I run virus scans on them immediately and then hold in my ftp. I do not let users directly ftp uploads without great care.

I also would like a little icon added at the bottom of the screen aligned with the present little icons. When the user does a mouseover the little icon a graphic file is shown. I know we can show graphics in download information box, but graphics make the boxes load slower and most users are only interested to see the graphic if they're interested in the file for download.

I used a simple hack in the earlier versions of XOOPS to accomplish the mouseover thing.

Sure would be nice if someone familiar enough with XOOPS mydownloads module would tackle this project.

Sm0ka
  • 2004/3/25 14:54

• Sm0ka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/25

You can install module uploader and use for your users to upload their files, then you scan them and post them on the downloads section.

domineaux
  • 2004/3/25 15:02

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

Sounds OK to me.

Where do you acquire the module uploader?

I found the Uploader in the multi-pak thing from brazil.

I've got it working, but it's a long way from a finished product you'd want to put into the hands of users.

kotis
  • 2004/3/25 18:19

• kotis

• Just popping in

Quote:

Sm0ka wrote:
You can install module uploader and use for your users to upload their files, then you scan them and post them on the downloads section.

Hello... we are talking about integration here... Sure, i can use any php-upload script out there to handle the uploads, but that is not the case. A new download submition should be by registered members, with the description, some picture and any other relevant data. Admins should only check the file for validity and then use the data to approve the submition.

All these need a working downloads module that can also handle user uploads. The only module i found out there is MyDownloadsRC (hidden athttp://www.soundsstudio.co.uk/downloads/) but it's not working as expected. Users may upload files and also upload screenshots. Admins may approve or reject and also give permissions per download or per category. Sounds good, but the bad thing is that users are not able to see any download at all... Only admins have access to download files. If someone can help and fix that old downloads module, maybe then we can have exactly what we want. And i think that alla of us want that functionality. We don't pay so much money each month for a dedicated server, just to host downloads on different places...

domineaux
  • 2004/3/25 19:33

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

The module you linked looks to be XOOPS 1.0+ stuff.

I installed the uploader module, previously mentioned. That module is an open invitation to havoc as it is. Who in his right mind would give a registered user that kind of permissions on a server.

I'm building a site that is going to provide capacity for up and down loading of large numbers of various kinds of files.

Have you looked at CLICK TO 4IMAGES

You might find a way to do a workaround and it's a very competent software.

----------------------
----------------------

kotis
  • 2004/3/25 22:33

• kotis

• Just popping in

Quote:

domineaux wrote:
Have you looked at CLICK TO 4IMAGES. You might find a way to do a workaround and it's a very competent software.

You are completely off-topic here my friend... What does an image gallery like 4images had to do with a descent downloads module for XOOPS that everyone needs? This is completely different stuff we are talking about...

Concerning the uploader module you are mentioning - it's crap, believe me... Not XOOPS integrated, not XOOPS friendly and definetly not XOOPS usable. It's one more module that messes up novice XOOPS users.

Finally, the MyDownloadsRC module that i entioned earlier, is NOT a XOOPS 1.x module because it supports Smarty templates. It should work in XOOPS 2 but it doesn't

Can anyone give some REAL help?

Mithrandir

MyDownloads RC1 IS a 2.x module - as the one in XOOPS 2.0.6, but with some added functionality and, as you have discovered, not working as it should.

Predator has written a heart-breaking story about this little orphaned module, which desperately needs a nice caretaker to turn it into a full-fledged, working module.

But alas, it is hard to find competent people with enough time on their hands to do such a job.

kotis
  • 2004/3/25 22:44

• kotis

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
But alas, it is hard to find competent people with enough time on their hands to do such a job.

I really don't think my friend it should be much of a trouble for an experienced XOOPS developer (like you maybe) to try a little and polish out that abandoned module, to make it work at least. I believe this will give one more push to XOOPS on it's way to the top. A lot of people need this functionality and it's there. It only waits for someone to fix it...

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits