scarfie
Install...
  • 2004/3/22 2:53

• scarfie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/22

I'm pulling my hair out on the install. I've read through all posts and can't find an answer. Here goes...

IIS 5
PHP 4.1
MySql 1.4
Xoops 2.0.6

On first check the installer says write permissions are fine on the folders and files that need write permission.

But after entering database info, the installer throws an error stating: (../mainfile.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\xoops\html\install\class\mainfilemanager.php

I've read all about CHMOD however you can't do that on IIS.
Perhaps that's where I'm wrong - maybe I can do it with IIS and am just plain ignernt. I tried it with WS_FTP then downloaded CuteFTP PRO and tried it again. Neither will let me set any permissions.

I did set full write permissions in IIS but am stuck.

I know IIS isn't officially supported but someone out there must have an answer.

I know switching to Apache is one option...but that is an absolute last reort.

Thanks for any and all help!!

Dave_L
Re: Install...
  • 2004/3/22 3:04

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

This probably isn't the problem, but 1.4 doesn't look like the correct MySQL version. It should be 3.x or 4.x.

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/22 3:11

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I've never used IIS for Xoops, or any hosting package for that matter.

If you a run a search on ISS Permissions, you might be able to gain information from others experience, but I suspect you did this already.

All I can suggest is that check for other folders/files that may need special permission via IIS. It has been done before, but the answers are harder to find then your common chmod related questions.

I'm no IIS expert, so bear with me...

Check for access rights on common.php

Make sure that you also give the IUSR account read/write/modify permissions to any modules that have a cache directory or you'll run into more issues....

Set permissions for /template_c directory and cache directories

Check that your mainfile.php is writeable by all during install, then set back to something tighter for just yourself

I'm sure there are others that I am missing, and I sure others will be able to contribute. There are quite a few people that use IIS here.

Lance_
  • 2004/3/22 3:20

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

If you have acces to the windows box, then all you need to do is check off the Read-Only box in properties.

Unfortunately I can't access my server on FTP, so can't help on the permissions from there. However I use Ace-FTP Freeware and it works great, very easy to change permissions.

scarfie
  • 2004/3/22 14:52

• scarfie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/22

Thanks for your quick responses. I have solved the problem and am posting the solution in case anyone else runs into the same.

My install is for test purposes on a local machine running XP and IIS5. If your running on a hosted windows based machine, most likely it will be running Server 2000 or 2003. Both of those are much more comprehensive in their permissions and user settings. Anyway...

Setting the proper folders for write access in IIS wizard setup or folder properties is not enough. Unchecking read only in folder properties from explorer doesn't cut it either. The folders always reset to read only.

The key is to share the folder over the network. When this is done, XP sets the permissions but does not give you any dialog to fine tune. That sucks.

Got XOOPS to install and I'm going to login. Hopefully there are no more hurdles.

Case closed.

brash
  • 2004/3/23 11:08

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Remember to keep group permissions in mind too. Just because you have given a user permission to a directory and files doesn't necessarily mean they'll get access. If that user is member of a group which permissions that are denied, then that user won't be able to use those permission. You also might want to check this Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256614

Login

Who's Online

880 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 880

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits