anurag
Help...Fixed width middle column
  • 2004/2/6 8:51

• anurag

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/2 8

Hi,

I am using the "7dana-Xred" theme and would like to set the width of the middle column to a fixed size so that the width of the overall website doesn't change while the users browse the site. Can anyone pls help me on how to go about doing this.

I would appreciate any help or suggestion. Thank you and have a nice day.

Anurag

Dondick
Re: Help...Fixed width middle column
  • 2004/2/6 11:35

• Dondick

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/8

Hi Anurag

The trick is to edit the css file of the theme.
There you will find a column-width in percentages (%)
Change this in a fixed size like 760Px.
Thats all

Greetz
Don

anurag
  • 2004/2/6 16:38

• anurag

• Just popping in

Hi Dondick,

I tried doing that....the width of the centre column changes (when i edit the CSS file) but it does not remain fixed....it just keeps adjusting itself according to the width of the contents.....would you be kind enough to tell me exactly what changes to make.

Thank you.

Anurag

kahumbu
  • 2004/2/6 22:17

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

A fixed width is not a guarantee your column will not change width. If the content is wider than the column width, e.g. a graphic, it will have to change to accomodate that content. It cannot force its content to shrink.

But, even with a fixed width, the column shrinks even without 'wide' contents, then check your CSS or place your width in the theme.html.

anurag
  • 2004/2/6 23:17

• anurag

• Just popping in

Hi Kahumbu,

Thanks for making that clear for me....I always had that impression that a fixed column width would sort of wrap all the contents within the column without changing the column....

Thank you and have a nice day.

Anurag

DobePhat
  • 2004/2/6 23:19

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Quote:
would like to set the width of the middle column to a fixed size so that the width of the overall website doesn't change while the users browse the site

ive been meaning to do this myself...

However,
you have to be aware that you will have to limit the size of certain objects from now on if you go that way...otherwise it will get funky....

It can be done for sure...and if you don't have a lot of image updates then no problem. If you do however...
a lot of work...initially...but...hmmm
I may do it sometime as well

At any rate you are aware that the table in the theme.html and table class in css or mostly responsible for fixed width right?
So...if you have fixed outer table widths...but your center column is in % you should be ok...

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits