jmass
Xoops the right platform for directed content?
  • 2004/2/4 15:55

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

First of all let me say that I am very impressed with Xoops! I am a Domino developer, and have been looking for an open source platform to migrate to. Until now, nothing has come close to Domino. XOOPS however seems very well coded, powerful, and has a great user base.

My concern is in the flexability. I code mostly client centric (read user/group specific) web applications. A client logs in an is presented with only their information tailored to them. Like looking at your credit card statements online. You do not get a list of all of their customers na pick your account, you log in and get your info.

Most of XOOPS seems to be more community oriented. This is great if that is what you want to build. But that is not what I want to use it for.

Are there any modules that are more along the line of filtered content and navigation based on loggin? To begin with I know you can limit what modules can be accesses based on user/group. But would I have to create sepetate module sets for each client/user? I think that their must be a much better way. Any thoughts? Or is this a great product for only a community site?

Jason

Mithrandir
Re: Xoops the right platform for directed content?

XOOPS is great. No question about that in my mind.
Content as in modules mainly revolves around knowledge sharing/community information, but it's really just up to the module writers to come up with more personally tailored information.

Basically, what XOOPS core provides is user authentication, classes for data modification and presentation tools. What the content is, that is up to the modules, which could very well be user-specific.

fatman
  • 2004/2/4 18:49

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

Jason, I think it's just a matter of choosing what parts of XOOPS are most useful to you and what parts you don't need to bother with.

Most likely you are going to be writing your own modules. You'll just want to contruct your modules in a way to first check if a user is logged in, who they are logged in as and what groups they are a member of. All easily accessible from XOOPS core class methods.

Then you can use that information to tailor what data you go and fetch from the database for display.

imho, XOOPS provides the best set of bass classes for a modular developer to pretty much construct any skin-able, reusable module to serve whatever purpose they need.

jmass
  • 2004/2/4 19:24

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I do agree. Thinking of XOOPS as only a framework for user authentication and view technology I see that it really is the right platform (in PHP land anyways).

I guess I was just expecting a base of modules to start from. I do get that with XOOPS even if they are not specifically for what I need. They are a lot better than starting from scratch. One one the biggest draws of opensource is the opportunity to leverage others work and give back at the same time. I guess that this may be a great opportunity for me to do just this.

Thanks,

Jason

Mithrandir

Would be awesome.

Most modules are meant for a big audience, either as a company front or as a community site.
More select modules are meant for intranet purposes for knowledge sharing internally in a company.

If you use the group permissions, blocks and user authentication, you can make almost anything and it would really be great with some more modules to show the variety of possibilities in XOOPS.

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

testtest
  • 2004/2/5 6:01

• testtest

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/21

>XOOPS is great. No question about that in my mind.

100% agreed !

>XOOPS core provides is user authentication, classes for data modification and presentation tools.

And don't forget: A great community with lots of friendly, helpful and skilled ppl - IMHO XOOPS is a hammer - simply said i @--/--- love it

sunsnapper

As others have mentioned, I can't think of a module that does what you describe. However, you may want to look at:

blog module (which let's each user create their own blog, and is therefore somewhat user-centric)

friend finder (haven't played with it so I'm not sure if it shows you friends based on criteria [state, category, gender, etc.] unique to each user... if it does, then it is potentially showing each user a custom query result which might serve as the basis for what you are trying to do... instead of friends that match a criteria, why not return data from the database that matches the users criteria + userID for example... I'm only guessing)

xp-weather (I think this returns your weather based on zip code, or "weather code". If that's true, perhaps you can use a similar approach to provide your desired content based on userID or other criteria)

calendar modules (I'm not sure whether any of these allow users to maintain their own unique calendars, but, if they do that might be the basis for approaches that are useful to you)

Again, I've not used these modules... so I'm only imagining what they do. But, I'm trying to narrow your search a little, which I hope is of at least a little help.

You may want to check user.php and userinfo.php (I think userinfo.php does a check to see if you are viewing your own profile... if you are, it gives you the abiltiy to update your info and access non-public account details... if you are not, it only shows info from the public profile. This might be the basis for things you are trying to do)

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits