signs
I have several questions... Please help
  • 2004/1/22 4:15

• signs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/19

I have a website called www.ozarkworld.com and I am hoping to list a few photographers there with galleries and pages for the photographer. I would like to be able as well set up a site with forums for our photography club seperate from our forums on the main site. I see how on the side bar here that some links lead to other information links on the side bar over there <---- like features list. and overview go to other pages, I am a real NEWBIE at this , so please forgive me if this is such an easy task for most. as for me I am just use to the WYSIWYG building that I dont know much else. any help in that area would be helpfull ... on to the next question I get an error when I try to upload images to the website via XCgalery.... Like

Warning : getimagesize: Unable to open '/home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/dwtemp_bm.jpg' for reading. in /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/db_input.php on line 162

Then I get this message below that one

The file you have uploaded is not a valid image !

This has been a very daunting task installing the XCGALLERY, that its almost not worth it. but I realy am anxious to get it installedI feel that its the BEST for what I need, without looking so much like a stock art image gallery.... Please help if you can....

kjs222
Re: I have several questions... Please help
  • 2004/1/22 15:31

• kjs222

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/1 1

With the forums... do you just want "private forums"? I guess I'm unclear of what you're interested in. Private forums allow you to specify which groups/members can access them.

I'm not sure what you want to do with the side bar links, but I can tell you they are reffered to as "blocks" and can be modified through the Admin -> System -> Blocks admin area. You can create your own block at the bottom of the blocks admin area.

As for your gallery problem, it smells like a permissions problem; just to make sure, have you followed the instructions on how to install xc, particularly which files to CHMOD? Your album folder (and subfolders and subfiles) likely need chmodded to 777. There might be other files in your module that need chmodded too.

Hope that helps,
Keith

Stewdio
  • 2004/1/22 18:09

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

This post was orignally going to be sent before I had access problems with Xoops. I've since emailed the author and we have worked out most of the problems. I decided to keep the post intact for the benefit of other users.

Hi signs,

I'm going to assume for this post that you are very fresh to the world of Xoops, html, ftp, and other things, if you are more experienced then I am assuming, then ignore all this and just CHMOD albums and userpics to 0777 and use GD 2.0 in your admin prefs (unless you prefer imagemagik or netpbm). That should take care of things for you in a jiffy.

If you need to understand what I just said, read on...

The reason that you are getting this error is because you need to set the proper permissions on 2 of the folders in your xcgal directory. Xcgal and other packages like it, need to write to these directories in order to process your image. This type of module doesn't just upload the image in a way you may be familiar with, it runs software on your webhost (in the background where you can't see) to change it a little bit for various reasons.

You need to set both the /albums directory, "and" the /userpics diretory within that folder to chmod 777. So yo will need to do the next procedure twice to make it work properly.

Using your FTP software, log in and go to /html/modules/xcgal/ and right click /albums and select something that looks either like "attributes" or "chmod". Next you'll get something showing you "read" "write" "execute" three times in a row, or you may see something with numbers showing. No matter what the case, make sure that you change them to 0777. If you have problems finding where and how to chmod a directory with your FTP software, just use it's help files and look for chmod or attributes and it will explain how to achieve this.

This will definately fix your problem. If you encounter other errors, after you have chmod'd your directories, go into the admin of xcgal and look for something that says "Methods for resizing Images" (about 2/3's down) and set it to either GD version 1.0, or GD version 2.0. Most webhosts these days are running GD 2.0, which is the server software that works on your images.

If GD doesn't work, check with your webhost and ask them if they are using netpbm, imagemagik, or GD and ask what the path is. Of course you can always head back here and update us on your progress. I'm moving and packing over the next few days so I may not be able to continue on in this post in a timley manner, but if you have followed these directions and still run into trouble let us know and someone else will try follow up in my place.

The key thing to try first is chmod your directories. After this, try to upload a pictute and you /should/ be good to go!

Good Luck!

signs
  • 2004/1/23 3:25

• signs

• Just popping in

Stew,,, Thanks for all your help, you have been a tremendios part in how far I have come. right now I am having problems just with the actual image resizing, colors, and stuff, it's actualy just posting a blank image, and then errors out when it comes to this. I am sure we will work this out, I have Netpbm in the HTML directory, but as to yet to get it to work I can not. do I need to put this someplace else like in a CGI, or down on root level....

as far as the links mentioned above, I would like to have seperate pages, that are not filled with forums, like I would like a About us page, a page with a seperate forum and information page for the Photography club. a seperate page for each photographer with links to his album in the gallery.

Benji

Stewdio
  • 2004/1/23 4:00

• Stewdio

You are correct in that your netpbm files need to be in the /cgi-bin in order for them to execute properly. This is a failsafe for the webhost in that only files in this directory can actullay execute a command, or in this case run a program. Also, the netpbm files will need to be properly chmod'ed, but you would have to check the netpbm documentation.

As for getting separate pages for your site, it's very easy to do. All you need to do is create your content and save it as a .php file indtead of html. Once you have your custom pages done, just use php includes in your documents to wrap them into Xoops.

To create links for your own pages, use something like multiMenu. Thats a pretty good module for creating exrtra menu items that conform to your theme with very little hassle.

If you can't find the multiMenu Module here on the site, let me know and I will email it to you along with a couple of my files that you can use to figure out how to add the php includes I mentioned earlier.

Everything you want to achieve can be done very easily and I think you'll be quite happy with the results.

signs
  • 2004/1/28 2:50

• signs

• Just popping in

to no avail, I have added the netpbm to CGI and gave the permisions that they needed. still doesnt post the images nor does it do the thumbnails, GD1 doesnt work right either and gd2 isnt not installed... here is the error for xcGallery:

home/virtual/site4/fst/var/cgi/jpegtopnm '/home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/Leaftemp_bm.jpg' | pnmscale -xsize=100 -ysize=65 | pnmtojpeg -quality=80 > '/home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/thumb_Leaftemp_bm.jpg'
Warning : Unable to access /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/thumb_Leaftemp_bm.jpg in /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/include/picmgmt.inc.php on line 252

Warning : chmod failed: No such file or directory in /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/include/picmgmt.inc.php on line 252

Warning : Unable to access /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/thumb_Leaftemp_bm.jpg in /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/include/picmgmt.inc.php on line 255

Warning : getimagesize: Unable to open '/home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/thumb_Leaftemp_bm.jpg' for reading. in /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/modules/xcgal/include/picmgmt.inc.php on line 255

Please advise if I am not seeing what I should in this error..... maybe it needs a new set of eyes...

Benji

Stewdio
  • 2004/1/28 3:02

• Stewdio

Someone feel free to jump in on this at any time, there seems to be something obviously wrong here, but for the life of me I can't see it...

Shouldn't the cgi be your ../../../var/www/cgi-bin/ folder?

It's my understanding that any cgi scripts on any web site need to be run in a separate cgi-bin folder in the root of the site, not outside of the root. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

signs
  • 2004/1/28 4:38

• signs

• Just popping in

Ok ,, I uninstalled the xcgallery thinking I did something wrong. After setting it back up I get the same error. I tried leave the line blank where the NETPBM is , and I get the same result. so is it safe to say its not with netpbm. if I use GD 1 it cant set true color, and errors out as well, displaying a ? box for a picture.
I know the albums and thumbs are correct they give you errors telling you that they couldnt write to the directory....

signs
  • 2004/1/28 4:49

• signs

• Just popping in

well I was thinking maybe by chance if theGD 1 didnt work cause of color error, that I would remove the quality of JPG and see if that works ... well NO ERRORS .,,, except now no image just a ? getting a little closer.... I really appreciate all the help everyone has been giving , ezpecialy Stew there..... thanks...

Benji

UPDATE ---------------------

Ok, after some rest I started looking at the reasons why it wasnt working ,, well it was just as simple as a / being at the begining a location, after fixing this it now works just fine..... I cant for the life of me understand why I didnt see that the first time. anyhow I appreciate all the help everyone gave me...

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits