pwalter
Modifying Module Blocks Administration details
  • 2004/1/26 17:14

• pwalter

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/26

I am a newbie to xoops. I am having a curious problem with Blocks Administration - whenever I try to change the details for a particular Group (webmasters, registered users, etc), then hit the "submit" button, it changes the details for ALL groups!. I tried this with both IE 6.0 and NS 7.1. Perhaps I do not understand the screen. What am I doing wrong?

FroSor
Re: Modifying Module Blocks Administration details
  • 2004/1/27 16:56

• FroSor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/27

I have simmilar problem with the blocks. I want to have a "welcome block", like the "Welcome to XOOPS official website!" on the top page at xoops.org. The problem is when making a custom block it with no exceptions turns up under the blocks for registerd users, and I want this block to be visible for anonymous users and not members. I could not figure out which fields to manually cange in the DB. Anyone any idea?

kahumbu
  • 2004/1/27 17:13

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

To edit group permissions for blocks, go to System Admin -> Groups. From here, you can set group permission per block. You do not need to go to the DB just to change block permissions.

To edit block details, go to System Admin -> Blocks. This will lead you to the Blocks Administration. You cannot set group permissions here. The dropdown menu at the top is used to see which blocks are accessible to which groups and not to set permissions.

pwalter
  • 2004/1/27 18:01

• pwalter

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/26

kahumbu,
Thank you very much for responding. However, if you can not modify the attributes of blocks assigned to a particular group here, then why are the "side", "weight", and "visible" attributes settable, with a "submit" button? What purpose is intended here?

Mithrandir

In blocks admin you set weight and side for the block and whether it should be visible at all.

In Groups admin you set which usergroups can see the block in that position with that weight, provided it is set as visible in blocks admin.

kahumbu
  • 2004/1/27 18:49

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Hi,

I edited my earlier post just to add clarifications (red font).

The dropdown menus in Blocks Admin are for viewing purposes. If you want to work with blocks that are accessible to Webmasters, choose from the dropdown. If you want to just work with blocks that are visible, then choose from that dropdown list.

Sometimes, when you've installed many modules, there can be many blocks in that view. So, you can use the dropdown list to narrow down the view so you can work on the blocks better...well, that's the theory behind those dropdown menus.

Default view is for all blocks accessible to Registered Users.

Hope this helps to clarify things. If you want to restrict access to blocks per group, you have to go to the Group Administration page.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits