sunsnapper
Re: Apache mod_rewrite RewriteRule Success

Sorry I missed your post Shivaji.

As long as you are running Apache as your web server, mod_rewrite will work... in this instance it does not matter whether it is Apache for Windows or Apache for Linux.

If you are using Microsoft IIS/ASP, I think you need to look into writing an "ISAPI Filter", though I'm not familiar with it.

In my first post in this thread, you see the following note:
(If your FTP client does not show hidden files like .htaccess check to see if the FTP client has a preference to "show hidden files" or a preference to modify your LIST command to LIST -al instead.)

This will hopefully allow you to see your current .htaccess file so you can download it as a backup before you begin experimenting. This is also an easy way to "create" a file name .htaccess on your windows machine, which you can then edit with any text editor, like Word Pad.

By default, Apache is going to put one of these files in your web root, I believe, so if it is not there your hosting provider may be going out of their way to prevent you from using .htaccess

shivaji
  • 2004/1/25 10:04

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/18

Quote:

sunsnapper wrote:
By default, Apache is going to put one of these files in your web root, I believe, so if it is not there your hosting provider may be going out of their way to prevent you from using .htaccess

Thanks for your reply. Yes, our ISPs prevent us from using .htaccess file directly. Though I have uploaded htaccess file through our ISps but is there any way to verify that (they uploaded the files or not) or the rewrite rule is at all success or not ? Is there any way to check whether it is been converted to friendly URLs or not,if yes how. My website is www.123ecominfo.com.

Thanks !

sunsnapper

I went to your web site and tried www.123ecominfo.com/contact/
and it did not work. I'm not sure which friendly links you tried... but, that was one included in my example.

So FTP into your web server and see if you see a .htaccess file in your web root (other posts in this thread talk about setting your FTP client to show hidden files).

If it is there, and not working, than your ISP is probably preventing its use. You can tell your ISP that if they cannot change this you will need to move to a new provider.

If your ISP allows the use of .htaccess but you have a syntax error, you would know immediately... your server would stop serving pages and give you an internal configuration error. You would remedy this by going back to a backup of your original .htaccess file while you worked to discover the error.

shivaji
  • 2004/1/26 4:58

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

I am again uploading a fresh copy of .htaccess file. I will let you know soon. Thanks again !

shivaji
  • 2004/1/26 16:16

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

sunsnapper wrote:
I went to your web site and tried www.123ecominfo.com/contact/
and it did not work. I'm not sure which friendly links you tried... but, that was one included in my example.

So FTP into your web server and see if you see a .htaccess file in your web root (other posts in this thread talk about setting your FTP client to show hidden files).

If it is there, and not working, than your ISP is probably preventing its use. You can tell your ISP that if they cannot change this you will need to move to a new provider.

If your ISP allows the use of .htaccess but you have a syntax error, you would know immediately... your server would stop serving pages and give you an internal configuration error. You would remedy this by going back to a backup of your original .htaccess file while you worked to discover the error.

Hi:

I uploaded this :

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^signout/$ /user.php?op=logout [L]
RewriteRule ^signout(.*)$ $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^myaccount/$ /user.php [L]
RewriteRule ^myaccount(.*)$ $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^contact(.*)$ /modules/contact$1 [L]
RewriteRule ^discuss(.*)$ /modules/newbb$1 [L]

No, how should I get to know that the friendly URL is working or not?

www.123ecominfo.com

Thanks,

sunsnapper

You see if it is working by simply trying the friendly URL.
Like www.123ecominfo.com/contact/

Unfortunately, it is not working on your site. If you need further help, PM me, because I think this is a problem particular to your ISP... it is starting to diverge from the main purpose of this thread.

sunsnapper

(duplicate)

sunsnapper

There is a new thread on this topic that uses a combination of mod_rewrite and some PHP files. Just thought I would keep this thread updated with related material.
ShortURL hack by reynaldo:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16663&forum=14&post_id=70113#forumpost70113

carnuke
  • 2004/2/14 8:08

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Thanks sunsnapper for updating this thread. Reynaldo sens to have captured an interesting idea here!

Richard

sunsnapper

Kenogui has announced another hack for this:
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1292

Login

Who's Online

253 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 253

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits