kaliman
Google facts
  • 2004/1/19 17:27

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Reading trough google I found this:
Quote:
Fiction: Sites are not included in Google's index if they use ASP (or some other non-html file-type.)
Fact: At Google, we are able to index most types of pages and files with very few exceptions. File types we are able to index include: pdf, asp, jsp, hdml, shtml, xml, cfm, doc, xls, ppt, rtf, wks, lwp, wri.

As you can see php is not included. Then the question is, how can a XOOPS site get any good ranking if it cannot be indexed by google?

the full facts can be seen at http://www.google.com/webmasters/facts.html

Draven
Re: Google facts
  • 2004/1/19 18:08

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Google can index PHP, not sure why it's not listed there.

Try searching for "Gaining mass" and you'll see my site is listed #1.

kahumbu
  • 2004/1/19 18:24

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

I think that Google 'Fact' statement is a 'descriptive' include, i.e. it just lists some of the file types. It is not an 'exclusive' include, i.e. 'only includes these file types'.

As mentioned, there are only a few exceptions to what they are able to index. If asp and jsp are there, definitely php is there.

builderb
  • 2004/1/19 19:59

• builderb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/8/4 2

I haven't had any problems getting a really good ranking on google, yahoo, aol, msn, etc.

as long as you have the content to support the keywords being searched you should be good.

-B

carnuke
  • 2004/1/19 21:16

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

The issue here is to do with query strings. Many S/Es will not index beyond a query string. There are technical and policy reasons for this. However Google definitely does index URLs with query strings. There are some other S/Es that will also. What's important is that many smaller search engines use Googles index cache and API. This means that your site may be included in search engines that will not index query strings. Good news eh?

Just be aware of some JavaScript menus though. They will stop even Google reaching the addresses. Recimmend going to CMS watch.com Lots of useful stuff here

Richard

kaliman
  • 2004/1/20 15:11

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Thank you very much for the information. It is good news indeed.

Have a nice day

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits