mvandam
Re: Did all that but still have problems
  • 2004/1/17 2:19

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Quote:

We'll back to the problem. Yes I did the "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p password -h `hostname` xxx" and it gave me the whole nine yards of help page tips. Tried it without the "xxx" (replaced with my real pw) at the end and the ended up with an error message: "ERROR 1102: Incorrect dabase name 'edquist.se-local'" wich happens to be the name of my host... not my database.

Sounds like the arguments are not getting read correctly.

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u <username> -p <optional_password> -h <hostname> <databasename>

'xxx' in the position you have it above is your desired *database* not the password. The password should go right after the "-p" (or omit it and you will be prompted for it -- safer!). You shouldn't be typing the string "password" anywhere. Also try NOT putting the backticks around the hostname... I think that is causing some problems too.

So for example:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p -h localhost xoops

where 'localhost' should be replaced with your database hostname, and 'xoops' should be replaced with your desired database to connect to. (Note you can leave out the database name and just type 'connect xoops' once you get into the MySQL shell.

Good luck

edquist
  • 2004/1/18 16:23

• edquist

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/14

Typing EXACTLY as you said produced the same long list with help stuff as before. However when I omit the "-h localhost" and just enter the db-name (xoops) it suddenly works. I'm greeted welcome to mySQL etc. So this way I can connect to the xoops-db. Still though, the XOOPS installer is not able to connect . Is it possible to set up things using command line or do I have to use the installer?

mvandam
  • 2004/1/18 22:35

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

You should be able to edit the file "mainfile.php" directly to reflect your database connection settings. (However, you should use the installer at least once to create all the database tables and insert the initial configuration options. Unfortunately there is no ".sql" file you can run to do all of this from the command line - the configuration options would be missing.)

edquist
SOLVED: Did all that but still have problems
  • 2004/1/19 9:43

• edquist

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/14

I editet the index.php in the installer directory directly to intercept the host variable (the installer does not allow an empty host name). In the php-script I replaced the hostname variable with "" and voila the installation worked. I'm a bit concerned about not understanding why but what the heck, I don't understand that the universe have 16 dimensions or that women always act irrationally

Mokkei09
Re: Database problem
  • 2004/2/22 18:00

• Mokkei09

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/22

I had create a database for the xoops, also I had create an user which could access the database, and my database host is localhost. But still the sentence "Could not connect to the database server." and a red light is shown. Would anyone kindly tell me what happened ?

I use mysql4.0.17, php-4.3.4 and httpd-2.0.48

D_Cloud
  • 2004/2/27 20:08

• D_Cloud

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/27

hey, i'm completely new o xoops, my problem is i cant get administrative functions for some reason,i cant create a database at all

morlo123
  • 2004/4/16 0:56

• morlo123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/15

Im having a similar problem. I have installed MySQL on my winXP machine running IIS. Went through the installation of xoops. Get to the stage of checking the database and I get:

could not connect to the database.

It was running ok yesterday. checked all configurations, authentications, and database and all is ok. MySQL is running with no errors.

Can anyone help me? Im stuck

succhi
  • 2004/4/23 3:27

• succhi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/20

Hi guys, I am using,
Mysql 4.0.18
Xoops 2.0.6
Apache 2

Mysql runs as mysql
Apache2 runs as apache

I can access the database using phpmyadmin and do whatever I want after changing access to socket from tcp.

I get to checking the db settings and the next page ('used to be blank but fixed one problem) tells me I can't connect to the database. Exact same settings as I put in the phpmyadmin.conf.php file.

I thought it was rights problems with apache but if so pypmyadmin wouldn't work either. phpmyadmin thinks that mysql.sock should live in /var/lib/mysql but on my linux box it lives at /tmp is this an issue seeing that I had to change it for phpmyadmin.

I'd supply logs but I'm not sure which ones are specific to XOOPS and where to look.

Stu

succhi
  • 2004/4/23 13:40

• succhi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/20

Found my solution. Mandrake doesn't seem to have a php.ini but I did find somewhere to place the line mysql.default_socket = /tmp/mysql.sock which has fixed the DB access problem I had.

Now I have another but that is not for this thread.

Stu

D_Cloud
  • 2004/4/26 7:25

• D_Cloud

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/27

Quote:

Im having a similar problem. I have installed MySQL on my winXP machine running IIS. Went through the installation of xoops. Get to the stage of checking the database and I get:

could not connect to the database.

It was running ok yesterday. checked all configurations, authentications, and database and all is ok. MySQL is running with no errors.

Can anyone help me? Im stuck

the way i got my solution is i downloaded php my admin, on IIS set the phpMyAdmin as your home directory, then find the database you want to use, suppose its called xoops, then give yourself a username and password for the database, eg username : morlo123 and password : morlo123 (doesnt matter). then go through the XOOPS installation and for the database host type localhost then for the database enter XOOPS and then the username and password for it. worked for me.
hope that helps, cheers

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits