GadgetMn
Can Xoops run on MaxDB?
  • 2004/1/13 22:12

• GadgetMn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/15

Has anyone tried running XOOPS over "MaxDB from MySQL"?

I am scoping a project (95k members - 200k members) and was worried that MySQL might not hack it. However it appears that the guys at MySQL have done the biz and created an open source SAP certified database with many additional features not in the base MySQL.

I know I could d/l and try it myself, but its always worth asking first to see whether anyone has succeeded or has any tips & tricks...

GadgetMn

DonXoop
Re: Can Xoops run on MaxDB?

I would guess that someone has tried Max and can comment. I haven't used Max and since my site only opened a couple of days ago I'm still < 20 members

But I think any current MySQL version 3.x/4.x can handle 200K members. The admin of that many members would be the challenge and Max won't help unless you wrote some code outside the X to make things easier.

I have run other PHP apps with several million records using standard MySQL 3x and never had a problem. I'll be interested in hearing your findings if you take the plunge.

Perhaps there is a way to simulate a very high user count / load and measure performance differences with different servers and tuning?

Mithrandir

Depends on the functions.

Currently, XOOPS only supports a MySQL database, but if MaxDB has the same functions (or similar functions) is shouldn't be a problem to get it to work with MaxDB. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about MaxDB, so you'll have to fill in the details.

GadgetMn
  • 2004/1/14 5:47

• GadgetMn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/15

Guys,

Thanks for your answers. I might build a machine, install and see what happens. Reading through the blurb it did say closer interoperability with MySQL was coming.

It would be interesting to see what internal functions of XOOPS could be dropped to the stored procedure layer and whether that would benefit performance.

It's good to know that MySQL is capable of handling the number of rows. I've spec'd a platform with 2 RAID5 database servers. The plan is to replicate the MySQL installation. That would probably help with performance also. So there are still a few options open to me.

I was just curious that's all...

GadgetMn

Login

Who's Online

200 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 200

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits