comegona
newbb ver. 1
  • 2003/12/24 15:15

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

Hello
Is there a way to hide private forums so that they don’t show up. I imported a phpBB2 forum to newBB and I had some private forums that would show up only to those who had rights. Now in newBB the names of the forums show although no one can access them, only the authorized users.

CBlue
Re: newbb ver. 1

Hi comegona! I have requested this too! It's in the wish list for new features to add to the next version of newbb. I use tons of private boards and I hate that all users can see them.

DonXoop

A long thread on that one is at: https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14089&forum=21#forumpost57660

I'm sure that will be in the core on the next version. Meanwhile there is a hack.

You will notice that even without the hack the privates don't show for the Recent Topic lists etc. But the hack will then hide the topic itself.

CBlue

I tried the hack and it didn't work for me, DonXoop. My private forums are still showing up to all users that click my forums link.

DonXoop

Hmm, it did work for me. I'll have to dig up what I did if it was different than the posted hack. I think there was a tiny adjustment I had to make. But now I'm already late, really late and must away for a while.

I'l post back my findings when I get back. It definetly worked for me. In fact I have to do it again after a reinstall. My test site has the privates hidden nicely though.

comegona
  • 2003/12/24 15:54

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

I tried the hack and it works for me. I'm using 2.0.5.1.

Any idea when the new newbb will come out?

CBlue

Okay! Thanks DonXoop! I guess I may have not done the hack correctly and that's why it didn't work for me. I'll try it again.

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/24 19:37

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Quote:

comegona wrote:

Any idea when the new newbb will come out?

Not sure bud, but I'm willing to bet it will be included in the next majot release of X2, which shuoldn't be too far away. I'm guessing first quarter of 2004, but don't take my word for it.

DonXoop

I just ran the hack on the fresh site and it works. This time I used the download package instead of manualy, easier. If you aren't using the default template you'll need to regenerate the forum templates and reset the blocks placement. Ignore the one template error that can't generate, it is rolled into the Recent Topics block.

A hint that I found, don't set a cache for the Recent Topics block if you want to include Private Forums (is configurable). Private topics will show after a valid user refreshes the cache. I found this same behaviour in other blocks that should behave differently via group permissions.

These hacks and more are likely high on the next release wish list.

Login

Who's Online

322 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 322

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits