limecity
Reseting Xoops and Keeping Existing content?
  • 2003/11/26 6:42

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

My XOOPS site is getting mess-up due to constant upgrades and also unsuccessful module installation.

I wan to reset my XOOPS back to the core. What do i need to backup?

I want to keep the site contents below :

-News
-Forum
-Newsbb
-Members information and login details
-wfsection articles
-Pictures/images

What is the first thing I need to do?

I seen a module called "backup'
but i don't dare to try because I don't know what it will backup for me.

intel352
Re: Reseting Xoops and Keeping Existing content?
  • 2003/11/26 6:47

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

i believe backup just backs up your whole database, like the phpmyadmin export options, or phpnuke's backup tool

as far as reinstalling, why not just go into phpmyadmin, select the tables that you would like to keep the content for, export (back them up)

then empty the database, run the XOOPS install, when it's finished, import the backed up tables

to make life easier, when you back up (export) the certain tables that you want to keep, make sure that you select 'Add Drop Table', if that option exists

tom
  • 2003/11/26 7:05

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
unsuccessful module installation.

Just remove the tables that are not supposed to be there.

It is true backup mod just backs the whole DB.

You would need access to the MySQL DB to dump your content back in.

Have any of your core tables been changed for XOOPS DB, if not why do you need a clean install?

If there where core changes to XOOPS files, why not just replace them with the STD XOOPS files again.

Erm I'm a little confused as to why the clean install is need, what has been changed in your current installation? if anything to what extent has it been changed?

If you just want to get rid of modules then just uninstall them in the admin admin, once uninstalled then remove them from the host/server.

[edit]

When I've upgraded none of my upgrades where messed up in any way, if any of yours have, what happened?

intel352
  • 2003/11/26 7:18

• intel352

• Module Developer

tom, i definitely can't speak for his site's XOOPS problems, but the other day i was attempting to hack out a port of that FatalQuery module, and while i was in the early stages of 'hacking' (wouldn't call it development, not familiar enough with XOOPS method), i installed the module to see what would happen

when i uninstalled, the module wouldn't uninstall properly (lol), and it screwed up other module listings

replacing the site files then prompted me to install XOOPS for the first time, hehe :)

maybe he's experiencing something similar, except on a lesser scale (hehe, i royally screwed up my install, lol), with some module that he had tested

tom
  • 2003/11/26 7:27

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

did your install affect any core tables? or did you change any XOOPS core files?

when you replace the mainfile.php you have to install to rewrite to that file the DB and URL settings (This file is like the daddy with site info), however to avoid that you can just copy a existing mainfile.php and that would work with out new install.

here is a sample:

Quote:
if ( !defined("XOOPS_MAINFILE_INCLUDED") ) {
define("XOOPS_MAINFILE_INCLUDED",1);

// XOOPS Physical Path
// Physical path to your main XOOPS directory WITHOUT trailing slash
define('XOOPS_ROOT_PATH', '/homepages/ROOTPATH');

// XOOPS Virtual Path (URL)
// Virtual path to your main XOOPS directory WITHOUT trailing slash
define('XOOPS_URL', 'http://www.mydomain.com');

// Database
// Choose the database to be used
define('XOOPS_DB_TYPE', 'mysql');

// Table Prefix
// This prefix will be added to all new tables created to avoid name conflict in the database. If you are unsure, just use the default 'xoops'.
define('XOOPS_DB_PREFIX', 'TABLEPRE');

// Database Hostname
// Hostname of the database server. If you are unsure, 'localhost' works in most cases.
define('XOOPS_DB_HOST', 'localhost');

// Database Username
// Your database user account on the host
define('XOOPS_DB_USER', 'DBUSER');

// Database Password
// Password for your database user account
define('XOOPS_DB_PASS', 'DBPASS');

// Database Name
// The name of database on the host. The installer will attempt to create the database if not exist
define('XOOPS_DB_NAME', 'DBNAME');

// Use persistent connection? (Yes=1 No=0)
// Default is 'Yes'. Choose 'Yes' if you are unsure.
define('XOOPS_DB_PCONNECT', 1);

define('XOOPS_GROUP_ADMIN', '1');
define('XOOPS_GROUP_USERS', '2');
define('XOOPS_GROUP_ANONYMOUS', '3');

if (!isset($xoopsOption['nocommon'])) {
include XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/include/common.php";
}
}

Tim

limecity
  • 2003/11/26 7:39

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

First of all, i am not familiar with those SQL database. Are you saying that if i backup everything just from the SQL databse, all the pictures and content inside the forum will also be saved together with it?

For unsuccessful upgrades and module installation, same like what the other member had told, i wouldn't call it a developement problem.

As example module, Os commerce the very first release, i can't uninstall it from my module admin.
Error " Unable to remove table from database "

Theatreman is even worse, tried to install it several times. And it appeared to be a [X] module in the admin site.

Other problem may be messup by myself when i tried to follow some instruction to edit some codings where i learn from some posted forum such as auto-login. But some were not succesful and result from it, a messup site.

Take a look how my admin site looks like
heres some screenshots

Screenshot1screenshot2

Thats all i guess. Thanks

tom
  • 2003/11/26 7:49

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

For uninstalling XOSC check out the link below:

Uninstall OSC FIX!!!

those errors you see there are modules that are installed, but you removed the directory with out uninstalling them, try uploading that directory and then uninstall the module correctly. For theater man, I have not used yet, but you would need to remove the tables theaterman made, consult with the dev of that module as it would prob be a bug

Quote:
Other problem may be messup by myself when i tried to follow some instruction to edit some codings where i learn from some posted forum such as auto-login. But some were not succesful and result from it, a messup site.

Just replace those files you changed with the STD XOOPS ones.

Hope this is of help.

intel352
  • 2003/11/26 7:50

• intel352

• Module Developer

[edit] hah, n/m, tom gave a better reply [/edit]

[edit #2]BTW, yes, backing up your database should save all of that data, but as for the images, you have to make sure that you do not delete the newbb (forums) folder, if you choose to reinstall... if you do delete the folder, any user-uploaded avatars will be lost [/edit #2]

limecity
  • 2003/11/26 8:13

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

Hmm..ok..think i am going to this slowly before i screw everything up.

have you seen the screenshot i posted up?
How do i fix this "Module File for Not Found!"
what should i remove in the SQL database when i don't know what module it is?

Thanks

intel352
  • 2003/11/26 8:19

• intel352

• Module Developer

i believe tom already explained what was wrong. you possibly deleted the module folder from the server, before running the Uninstall command, so XOOPS thinks the module is still installed, and is trying to find it

to see what tables are associated with the module, look in the modules/modulename folder, open the file xoopsversion.php to see the list of table names (towards the bottom)

OR you could look in the modules/modulename/sql << folder, open the mysql.sql file, and read to see what tables/fields it uses/alters

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits