Mithrandir
Postgre support and more

Maybe this is just a stupid question, but will it be very hard to make XOOPS compatible with Postgre and more databases?

Weeding through the PHP manual, I find functions for Postgre and Oracle side-by-side with MySQL functions.

Isn't it "just" a matter of making a PostgreDatabase to extend the Database class?

What am I overlooking?

Per4orm
Re: Postgre support and more
  • 2003/11/25 21:43

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

I'm not sure if it's all as simple as that, to be honest. I know for example that the MySql and Postgre versions of PhpMyAdsNew are distributed as seperate applications and not one application with two different databases.

I'm not sure what the restrictions are, but it's deffo worth looking into.

skalpa
  • 2003/11/25 22:57

• skalpa

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/16

Well it's more or less about this, but there are a lot of things to consider.
Different DB systems aren't exactly using the same SQL syntax, they also differ in the way they handle blob columns, some features aren't supported by all of them, the module.sql file modules provide is MySQL only, so we have to find a way to translate this file or provide a generic schema format that would be translated to "native" sql, etc....

I've been deeply looking at ADOdb lately (it's a db abstraction layer that handles all those kind of things) but it has a real effect on performance, so I'm still searching for the best thing we could implement.
And it's not a question of minutes

Skalpa.>

Mithrandir

Quote:

Different DB systems aren't exactly using the same SQL syntax, they also differ in the way they handle blob columns, some features aren't supported by all of them,

True - that can cause big problems.

Quote:
the module.sql file modules provide is MySQL only, so we have to find a way to translate this file or provide a generic schema format that would be translated to "native" sql, etc....

Isn't that the responsibility of the module developer? Of course it is good with some guidelines and genereal help - but the responsibility should lie with the module developer, if he wants his module to support other databases.

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits