NatyN
restricting group permissions.. or "limited admins"
  • 2003/11/13 11:14

• NatyN

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/11

I have a group of users that should give us a hand in editing the articles in the archive we have.

However I don't want this group to have any other admin access - only editing the articles.

I left only wfsection admin permission to this group (as Article Management section is included in there). But this give them access also to File Management and to Preferences etc.

I believe the only way would be to put an "if" condition on all the "admin" pages to say

if user is group Archive - no access to this area message.

Is my thinking correct?

Is there a possiblity to define a group in such an "if" condition?

Hope I 've managed to explain the problem.

Thanks in advance

NatyN
Re: restricting group permissions.. or "limited admins"
  • 2003/11/14 14:35

• NatyN

• Just popping in

Sorry.. Am I posting in a wrong forum?

Could anybody help me out with this? Tell me if my explanation was not clear, I'll try to be more precise!

thanks so much!

Catzwolf
  • 2003/11/14 14:45

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I understand exactly what you are saying.

This is not currently possible with the modules as they stand at the moment.

The next version of WF-Section will have extend group permissions at admin level. You will be able to assign who can edir, delete or even view articles at this level.

I am thinking about extending this to other modules in the future.

Mithrandir

AFAIK there are three types of users of a module:
Users without access
Users with access
Users with admin

Would be great to have an admin - without access to the Administration Menu, but able to do admin things on the module pages themselves - and a superadmin, who could change settings and preferences.

I had to make an extension to the user to make my Team Module include Team Leaders with ability to add matches etc. which is not connected to the group thing.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/11/14 14:55

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Mithy:

Ha beat ya! :-p

Mithrandir

Only because I think a bit about the answer instead of just replying "not possible" and then a shameless plug about your upcoming module enhancement

[size=x-small](J/K)[/size]

Catzwolf
  • 2003/11/14 15:02

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Mithy:

First, as if I would :-p

Second, I did answer the question!

But I do think this is something we can introduce to all modules. Many people have been asking for this for a long time now.

NatyN
  • 2003/11/17 9:47

• NatyN

• Just popping in

First of all thanks both for your replies.

Catzwolf - I hope it will be done in the future! I do believe that this is an important issue also because a lot of XOOPS powered sites are non commercial "team" supported places done thanks to the cooperation of many people. So this possibility to give "limited" administration could be a good solution and a huge help to the site "holders"

MithyT2 - It seems to me to understand that you've found a solution to this problem... but be good to me - I'm just a real real newbe to xoops, this site just "fell on my head" and I have to keep it alive. The guy who firstly made it (also a freshman and not really precise one- I keep finding tons of stupid modifications he did sigh! ) just quit leaving all the project to die. And I can't stand the idea!
So if I understand well and a similar problem was solved by you... would you please please explain this to me better?

Thanks SO much!

Mithrandir

Quote:

NatyN wrote:

MithyT2 - It seems to me to understand that you've found a solution to this problem... but be good to me - I'm just a real real newbe to xoops, this site just "fell on my head" and I have to keep it alive. The guy who firstly made it (also a freshman and not really precise one- I keep finding tons of stupid modifications he did sigh! ) just quit leaving all the project to die. And I can't stand the idea!
So if I understand well and a similar problem was solved by you... would you please please explain this to me better?

Not so much a solution as a per-Team status.

My Team Module supports multiple teams (team table in db)
Each team has a number of members
Each member has a status and a rank (teamstatus table in db)
Each rank has a level setting with either none, match admin, tactics admin or both = user admin.

I don't use the group or permission features in XOOPS because it will only allow me to make an admin for the entire module, i.e. for ALL teams and ALL levels of admin - which I don't want.

Feel free to download my module - but I'm not so sure it will be a usable solution to you.

Having admin categories like in notifications (you can subscribe to all forums, one specific forum or one specific thread) would make this possible and would be a great thing - but it's a core thing and not a module thing.

NatyN
  • 2003/11/17 10:51

• NatyN

• Just popping in

Thanks.

I'll look into it. Huhhh.. just need some time to test and see what it is about

Just in case - will be bothering you at Team Module forum

have a good day

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits