comegona
Converting a site to Xoops
  • 2003/11/9 19:51

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

Hello
I have a regular web site that has a lot of html and some php pages. Is there a way to bring this site under Xoops? I would like to keep the directory layout that I have and not have to import all documents to a single directory.

Is this possible in a simple automated way or do I have to manually import each page?

Thanks

comegona
Re: Converting a site to Xoops
  • 2003/11/15 4:58

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

Based on the response, I guess it can’t be done. Well, can someone tell me how to go about and do what I want manually and what modules I should use to accomplish this? Please? Other wise I'll have to go get this

hsalazar
  • 2003/11/15 5:08

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

comegona:

Perhaps the lack of a satisfactory answer was due partly to the fact that the question doesn't have enough detail. You say you have a regular Web site: what does this mean? You have a lot of HTML pages and some PHP pages. What do they have? What kind of content is it? What is its structure? Please understand we need some more detail in order to suggest you an appropriate road to follow.

Cheers.

comegona
  • 2003/11/15 6:14

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

Well let me rephrase, I have a site that is not using any CMS like phpnuke or xoops. I have basically a static site where each html page is linked from another page. The pages are .html pages with images embedded. What I want to do is incorporate it under Xoops. I tried the module ‘Cjay Content’ where I can import a specific page and have it work under xoops, but the pages goes into the ‘Cjay Content’ content directory. I would like to organize it in such a way that each file I incorporate using Cjay Content goes into its own directory. This is so I can manage each file better. Added to this I have over 10000 individual pages, so doing this manually will be very time consuming.

I hope this explains it.

carnuke
  • 2003/11/15 10:26

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I am in the same positin as you. Still wandering if XOOPS is up to this task. I believe technically it is, but the current content wrappers ar all fairly basic as far as I can see. If you check the wiki out you will see that any html page can be included in your page layout just by adding some php code around the html. However it is simply an include page and sits outside the navigation system. If you want your pages to be integrated within the XOOPS system and navigation ,as far as I can see they all need to be imported individually and relinked within the XOOPS naigation. This is where the content wrappers come in. Your content is stored in a dedicated directory but linked through the system. This allows the content to be part of the other features of Xoops, such as page management, adding comments, etc. Whatever way you go, its going to be a lengthy task. Whether you can maintain you existing directory structure or not, I,m unsure. I have also heard that there may be a new 'sections' module as part of 2.1 when it is released. I am looking forward to comments from the Devs re our posts. as I feel content management is a crucial factor in the XOOPS development. I would also recommend looking at the new Tiny Content module just relesed by Chapi. The redme file gives a link to a first class mini guide by Horacio Salazar explaining how to use it for content management. This is documantation at its best which I will post more about later

Anonymous
  • 2003/11/15 12:24

• Anonymous

• Since:

I inherited a big wordy web site. It was first created in 1996 and has been added to over the years and now has thousands of articles, umpteen books, and every one of these were online as flat file html, a nightmare to migrate!!

I wanted to put this lot into a CMS and discovered XOOPS, after trying a lot of alternatives. My problems were similar to this thread. My solution was WF-Sections and XOOPS, and some work, well lots of work.

As all my pages were in directories. I used wfsection and from the browser I selected all and copied and pasted it into the new article and saved in whatever category I wanted. This in turn recreated the original page with images and formatting intact. Plus side of this is everything is searchable, and all is stored in the database. Down side is you have to keep the directories with the iamges or wherever the images are or the links will break.

SO when someone visits my site they see all the information called from within XOOPS, which certainly can handle this and no one knows the difference.

Over a period of time I have been re-creating the original pages within wfsections and deleting the original image locations, using the image manager and the WYSIWYG built into wfsections.

Understanding the power of wfsections will explain further the road I took, also wfsections lets you upload the html page and use that as your article similar to c-jaycontent, though i didnt use this function.

Its a solution that worked very well for me and my site of thousands of articles and images which are now slickly presented using XOOPS and also offering all the interactivity denied via flat file.

Manual method for sure, but how hard is copy and paste

Cheers

hsalazar
  • 2003/11/15 16:16

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

comegona:

With that many pages, it's gonna take time no matter what solution you choose, because you want more than an inclusion, you want an integration.

I assume you don't have 10,000 directories, but rather maybe ten, with subdirectories beneath them, etc. If this is correct, the options mentioned in this thread will surely work, though they may be overkill.

Another less known option is the french module called iContent. I helped a bit Vivi to repurpose the module for version 4 and now he's got version 4.5 in the works. This module is available here. You'll still have to create the directory structure yourself, but this module does a good job at handling HTML files.

Maybe your predicament could be the basis of a discussion about the more efficient way to incorporate non-structured content into Xoops. We'll think about it.

Cheers.

comegona
  • 2003/11/16 0:34

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for all the information. I've setup iContent and am now going through it. At this point I just want all pages included in xoops. After that I will manually edit them for full integration as Serge did. I'm sure I'll have some questions on its usage so be prepared for questions.

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits