Oki
What is really real to expect on XOOPS 2.1?
  • 2003/11/8 5:40

• Oki

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/4

Hi XOOPS Developers,

At first, my congratulations for their excelent work. I have been reading all posts in this forum, and i have transcript the main messages on Brazilian Support site for XOOPS, but i want to see a list of "What is really real to expect on XOOPS 2.1".

Many people were talking about roadmap, but i can't found a good and real list of features. Well, my request is to put a list of "on planning" features and the benefits to do this features in the site.

In addition, i'd like to see an answer about "What the plans for kernel, where's the target". The target is "we'll make something like Linux", make a kernel to extends many appplications?

Sorry, for my poor english.
best regards,
Celso Goya
http://www.moinho.net
http://www.xoops.net.br
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xoopsmoinhonet/

hsalazar
Re: What is really real to expect on XOOPS 2.1?
  • 2003/11/8 7:26

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

Celso:

The "call to arms" launched by Herko to discuss ideas for the roadmap about the core features of XOOPS was done with a pertinent aclaration from the very start: it's one thing to open the table to discussions, and to sum up a lot of ideas and suggestions as to the course XOOPS will take, and another to set up the road map.

The first is a thread in the general forum, it's a way for all of us to participate in the brainstorm and to contribute new insights about what's needed. The second one is a definition made by the core developers using perhaps the suggestions made in the thread, but ultimately based on their own decisions.

We'd all like XOOPS to be our silver bullet when it comes to managing a site's content. We do know it's already better than most systems, but are also painfully aware of its shortcomings. What I can tell you is the core developers, headed by onokazu, are quite aware of everything we've put in the table. There've been several long discussions in the core team private site and in online chats about many of the issues discussed here, and some of the more crucial aspects are being taken care as I write this.

We all know that if the devs tried to please everyone, we'd have the next version in 5 years. So it won't have all the bells and whistles, but it'll be a strong step in the right direction and it will certainly please most xoopsters.

For some, the core team's been moving too slowly. For us, honest, it's been a hectic rhythm since Herko started shaking things up. There's a great deal of work behind curtains, and I've personally seen some of the good things ahead.

So, to sum up, what's for real in XOOPS 2.1? It's not for me to say, since I'm in, ahem, another department, but please be patient, and you can be sure it'll be a good leap ahead and the beginning of a carefully planned route towards a more powerful and creative Xoops.

Cheers.

Oki
  • 2003/11/8 16:31

• Oki

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/4

hsalazar,

Thank your for fast answer

I'll wait and still working on my XOOPS modules. I'm considering just the main features discussed on the first thread of Roadmap 2.1 posted by Herko.

[]'s
Celso Goya

Catzwolf
  • 2003/11/9 7:08

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

hsalazar,

If you don't mind, I would like to add a point to your excellent post?

While it can be said that we developers here are not the best at hands on moderating websites, ie this one and it may seem that we do not show our 'face' as often as many people would like, we do however, work or little butts off in the back ground.

I can only really speak for the module development department when I say this, but I am sure if the core team wish to add to this, I believe they will.

I plan to totally overhaul all the current core modules using the latest standards available within the core. From the admin area's right through to the userside.

I hope that time permitting we can add many new features and fix most of the bugs we come across while doing the upgrades.

So while its seems nothing is going on here, there are plenty of other places where the ground is shaking!

foniks
  • 2003/11/9 9:25

• foniks

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/10

Hey Catzwolf, would it be possible for you (or anyone) to provide a pretty good explanation of what the possibilities are for the current core modules?

Not having digged through the code myself I'd like to know what is possible with what's already available... to sum up with a question: Do the current modules fully utilize the capabilities already available or do they barely expose the potential and if they are somewhere in between, are they closer to one or the other?

foniks
  • 2003/11/11 6:39

• foniks

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/10

Maybe I should clarify this question. You (Catzwolf) talked about implementing core features into all modules through and through... do you mean the core features from the upcoming 2.1 or do you mean fully implementing all the core features already available in 2.05 through all the current core modules.

hsalazar
  • 2003/11/11 7:27

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

fonikz:

I'm sure Catz will expand on this and make it clearer once he sees your post, but let me step ahead and put my 2 cents on the table.

The core modules, which will cease receiving this name when XOOPS 2.1 rocks the boat, are like that famous american tradition: the patchwork quilt. This means they're not consistent about the way they execute their purpose, and you see different solutions to the same problem not only in different modules but sometimes within a single module.

There's a lot of unused functions and classes, and the implementations tend to be smart but inefficient. The core-core modules such as News and the couple Downloads/Links are somewhat better than other modules that don't even implement correctly the use of Smarty templates, or the assignment of variables, or the construction of short queries.

So the idea Catz is probably talking about is this one: all modules should use the smarter way possible, and solve the same problem with the same approach; all should use the features, functions and capabilities provided by the core, not just the ones available in version 2.0.5 but also the ones being incorporated by the core devs in the 2.1 branch of the CVS.

Where are the present core modules when it comes to fully using the core potencial of the core? I guess the answer must be: it varies, but some of them are too far. That's why WF-Sections will replace the original Sections, for instance.

I hope this answers partially your question. Catz will fill in the details and, as usual, the modules his team builds will speak even loader and clearer.

Cheers.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits