WMurray
1st time install
  • 2003/10/31 21:10

• WMurray

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/31

Hey guys, I've installed XOOPS on my local Apache server to test, but now I'd like to install on my web host. I've discovered that my hosting company requires all PHP scripts to be in the /cgi directory. Can someone give me an overview of how the installation should be modified. I'm new to PHP and XOOPS and trying to learn as I go. Thanks for your time!

jlm69
Re: 1st time install
  • 2003/10/31 22:17

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

Have you tried it on the host and had problems or did you just find this out and now you don't know what to do?

If you haven't tried it on your host, try it. I believe what your host is saying is that if you have any php scripts that need to write to files you need to put in cgi directory, and they probably told you that you need to end files with ".php.script". If this is right then install it normally and it will work. (mine did) The only thing I can't get to work is
xoopsgallery but that is because the host doesn't have Imagemagik or netpbm installed and they won't let me put netpbm in a folder and execute the program, like I could do on my server if I needed to.

Hope that helps,

and there is a photo gallery that doesn't need those two programs to work. I think it is called myalbum-p

WMurray
  • 2003/10/31 22:21

• WMurray

• Just popping in

I uploaded all of the files to my /web (Public html) directory. Anytime I tried to call a .php file, my machine asks me if I'd like to open it, or download it. If I click open, nothing happens.

WMurray
  • 2003/10/31 22:25

• WMurray

• Just popping in

Actually, the "Save or Open" problem was mine. it was a file association with IE on my local machine. now, when I call a .php file it displays the file source in the browser

jlm69
  • 2003/10/31 22:53

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

Sounds like they either don't have php installed or they blocked the php on their server. Might want to look for another host.

A wild guess would be to try adding

.script

at the end of the index.php files of the main directory and the modules/news/index.php files and maybe even the mainfile.php and see if anything happens.
so the files would look like this:
index.php.script
mainfile.php.script

If that doesn't help maybe someone else can be of more help.

WMurray
  • 2003/10/31 22:59

• WMurray

• Just popping in

All that they told me is that I could put all files in my /web directory except for the actual php scripts which have to go in the /cgi directory. I've never run into anything like this before, and of course their support staff isn't allowed to provide "support of this nature"

Login

Who's Online

158 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 158

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits