Feel free to add suggestions here

Brian
Re: Classifieds Ads module: Who Wants?
  • 2002/4/8 7:26

• Brian

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/18

YES! That would be GREAT!

I'm very interested in a Classified Module!

I just finished a site for a client using XOOPS and had to use Alternative Sections as a sort of 'half-baked' Classified Section...

It sure got me thinking about what would work for a real Classifieds module and what would not.

Some suggestions:

1) Each section (cars for sale, household items for sale, miscellaneous for sale) should be 'permission-based' via user groups? (i.e. public classifieds, member classifieds)

2) Each separate advertisement should be able to include an 'expiry date' as an option. (i.e. Ad could run until May 24, 2002 and then would be 'automagically' deleted by the system)

Someone considering have classified ads on their site would be driven crazy by constantly having to manually go in and delete expired advertisements. Wouldn't do much for the site image if they weren't kept up to date either.

3) On the page that the user submits the Ad, an opportunity to set date that the Ad will run to, category that the Ad will be placed in (list of categories and subcategories in dropdown menu would be useful here), and an empty box to suggest a category if a category does not already exist on the site.

Advertisements should also be associated with individual users if this is at all possible. That way you could allow users to update or change their Ads (i.e. lower prices, remove sold articles) without hassling Admin.

If you limit permissions on an individual basis as well as group basis, then someone else in the same group can't change an ad that isn't theirs.

4) An Admin function that would list Ad titles (linked to Ads), id numbers, Ad expiry dates, new category if suggested. (i.e. Admin page would allow admin to glance down list to see how many ads there are, when they are due to expire, what category they are in, etc.)

Opportunity for Admin to set or change expiry date in the Admin area would be useful too! If someone has an Ad posted that they would like to continue past the date in question, Admin should be able to change it.

Locking individual Ads would be a useful feature too!

5) Moderated Classifieds! User posts advertisement, but advertisement is not 'viewable' until Admin authorizes it or Moderator authorizes it.

6) Ability to insert image (thumbnail) in advertisement. Ability to link from advertisement with thumbnail included to larger image. Then link from larger image back to original advertisement page.

User friendly means to upload files to Classfied image folder so that the files can then be linked to the advertisements.

Warning message if image size exceeds a certain width/height/kb? (Sure as heck somebody's gonna wanna upload a 1280x1024 image with a bazillion colours!)

7) Ability to have Categories and Subcategories. (i.e. Auto category. Ford, Chev, GM sub-categories or Truck, Sedan, SUV's)

8) If you intend to include and option that allows advertiser to put html into their advertisements, along with a Printer Friendly Page link, please make sure that the Printer Friendly page output does not include raw html.

I posted a question April 4 here: Xoops Forums about this Alternative Sections issue but haven't yet received any idea about how to fix this issue. Got any clues?

9) Text-based Table of Contents page (preferably two-column)? Visitors would show up to this page first where Categories, Sub-Categories would be listed and linked.

10) 'Ability to include' Category images, but not compulsory as Alternative Sections?

Whew!

Had enough yet!

I'm sure I can think of some more, but not at the moment.

If you have any questions about any of these suggestions, please contact me.

Classified Sections would open a number of door for a lot of different user-groups and I think would be an incredible enhancement to an already awsome community!

Keep up the great work!

Brian

<small>[ Edited by Brian on 2002/4/8 0:28:28 ]</small>

Anonymous
  • 2002/4/8 8:00

• Anonymous

• Since:

1: Done
2: Done
3: Partially Done: No new cat suggestion yet
4: Partially Done
5: Done: Optional in preferences
6: Done, but fixed size for now: No error messages yet
7: Done
8: N/A, but later :)
9: Done: But html.. Looks like newspaper with multicolums
10: Done

..based off downloads module.. so rating, top, popular is already in too. + i'll add comments system like for news articles.

More suggestions?

--------
N i answered you sections question on other forum

<small>[ Edited by Half-Dead on 2002/4/8 10:01:56 ]</small>

Herko
  • 2002/4/8 8:06

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Half-dead, my compliments (once again)
! (I would add some beers, but the popup screen doesn't show any more smilies... looks like a javascript error...).

All Hail Half-Dead, the Master of XOOPS Mods

Herko

mademan
  • 2002/4/8 12:34

• mademan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/3/26

It's like you read my mind. I was actually looking around for a classified script to put on my site.

I was interested in zclassified, but I really hated the idea of someone visiting my site and having to register again to use the classified section of the web site. Not to mention it looking out of place - not intergrating well within the site.

When will this module be available- roughly?

Anonymous
  • 2002/4/8 12:41

• Anonymous

• Since:

zClassifieds, Classifads, & CADS where the 3 script i considered for conversion first on hotscripts.. but once installed i found that all where lacking features...

This will be better than all 3 combined
Count a week or 2 before a beta.

schwachs
  • 2002/4/8 13:50

• schwachs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/4/6 4

Awesome work HD. Awesome.

Neon
  • 2002/4/8 22:52

• Neon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/8 6

Thanx HD, Again another master stroke in the making...

As a spin off of this classifieds module, I was wondering about a Personals module also, were people can put personal adds up to meet others. I have seen a couple and they are not that crash hot. Is this possible?

What do you think?

Brian
  • 2002/4/8 23:45

• Brian

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/18

Absolutely Incredible!!

re: "Number 5 on the list..." Fixed size is fine. Just as long as there is some 'control' over the file sizes/width/height.

re: "Number 8 on the list..." I'll go check my posting in Q & A. (Thanks!)

re: "Number 9 on the list..." Perfect! That's exactly what I meant but didn't explain it well enough... (are you psychic or what???)

DOH!!! Now I have to start thinkin' up different features again!

Can't say enough good things about the XOOPS crew!

Helpful responses to requests, open to ideas about module development, ability to read users' minds before a question even gets asked...

Brian

Vox
  • 2002/4/9 5:24

• Vox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/3/21

want it, need it, got to have it.

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits