mvandam
fantastico intaller
  • 2003/8/12 21:45

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

As many people are aware, there is this CPanel "Fantastico" installer which an increasing number of people are using to install Xoops.

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=467

http://cpanelthemes.com/fantastico.php

Several people have reported problems and there are a few instances where Fantastico installation is associated with creation of broken database tables, incorrect permission settings, and missing files.

Does anybody have experience with this installer and know if such problems are reproducible? If they are, I'd like to organize something along the lines of a "bug report" for the makers of Fantastico. It would be a shame if potential XOOPS users were having a frustrating first-time installing XOOPS due to problems with this installer. Also, anyone know how widely used CPanel or Fantastico is?

Please let me know your experiences with Fantastico (good or bad) here... Thanks!!

jhobbs
Re: fantastico intaller
  • 2003/8/12 23:39

• jhobbs

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/4 1

I've had good results with my host's Fantastico installer, it installs XOOPS 2.02. I think it's Fantastico v7.1, but I don't know how to check.

Before Fantastico was upgraded to install XOOPS 2.02, I installed XOOPS manually a couple of times. There are no differences that I'm aware of.

What are the symptoms of the problems and broken tables?

mvandam
  • 2003/8/13 0:25

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

Thanks for your reply. The problem with the broken tables was described here:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11396&forum=7

Of course we can never be sure if it was some kind of user error, or a bug/problem with the database or something else on the server... that is why I am fishing to see if there are any other problems.

I thought I had also read here a couple of instances where permissions were not set correctly.

But I must admit I do not really know what fantastico does *exactly*... I assume it automatically enters all your DB settings and does all the CHMODing (based on the hoster's setup), or am I wrong and it just runs the XOOPS installer? If it only does the latter, then I guess my post is irrelevant, but if it is the former, then it is possible the makers of fantastico accidentally ommitted a necessary chmod, etc... If anyone could enlighten me here, I would appreciate that too!

jhobbs
  • 2003/8/13 4:02

• jhobbs

• Just popping in

Perhaps you can infer what Fantastico does by examining some screenshots Here

Sorry, you have to register first.

This xoopstest site will probably disappear in a few days...

mvandam
  • 2003/8/13 4:35

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

Much appreciated!! Thank you, very kind of you to provide those images. I registered and viewed the screenshots.

For anyone else interested, fantastico simplifies the install procedure. It seems the ISP must do some preliminary configuration (database and path configuration) but then the user is left only to specify: an install directory, admin username/pass, site name, site slogan and admin email. The remainder is done transparently.

Very nice.

Well, since fantastico is a completely different install script than the xoops-installer, it is *possible* that errors in writing this script were made. However, jhobbs site appears to be working properly as far as I can see, so maybe the other problems were in fact unrelated to fantastico.

jhobbs: if it is not too much trouble, would you mind checking if you are able to change the site name and/or slogan via the admin preferences? Not being able to do so is one symptom of the broken database that another user observed.

Thanks again!

jhobbs
  • 2003/8/13 13:34

• jhobbs

• Just popping in

Site name and slogan changed, seems to work. The new values were retained, and displayed properly on the beautiful Imago06 theme!

fbasbas
  • 2004/1/28 18:36

• fbasbas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/9

my server uses fantastico. i used it to reinstall XOOPS after been subject to a defacement attack. still struggling with the reinstall as i am having chmod problems. i do not know if this is related with the fantastico installer, since it was one reason that i reinstalled in the first place - couldn't chmod mainfile.php to 444. suspecting it was an aftereffect of the attack, i did the reintstall using fantastico. still have the same problem.

i'll let you know if i come across something else.

scurvyd
  • 2004/1/28 21:57

• scurvyd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/28

Both Cpanel and Fantastico are very widely distributed.

Fantastico installs many scripts, however the host has to set it up to do so. If the host has made an error during the install fantastico will happily reproduce that error for every subsequent install.

I would say that the host made the error not Fantastico because I used Fantastico to install XOOPS at my host www.ezserver.biz and it worked wonderfully.

h0s3r79
  • 2004/2/3 15:37

• h0s3r79

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/3 1

Greets.

Being on of those blessed by Fantastico, not sure if 'blesses' is the right word, I have experienced a problem which I am trying to solve.

It looks like a CHMOD problem but I'm relatively newb .... errr new to the XOOPS scene. After the standard install of 2.0.5.1, which went quite painless, I logged in and could not enter the administration section. I am able to click on the Admin link from the menu option on the left, then it brings me to a page with a message (This is your first time to enter the administration section. Press the button below to proceed.) and a SUBMIT and CANCEL button. Boldly clicking submit and preparing to start working, in the top left I get some type of standardized error message (failed open file) and then it kicks me back to the SUBMIT/CANCEL button screen.

Let me know if there are permissions that I need to set and which files I would need to look at, if that's even the problem. And if you need any other guinea pig experiments done while I don't mind blowing up my install of XOOPS w/ Fantastico, please just let me know.

Thanks - h0s3r79
-
"Damn, no parking AGAIN!"

h0s3r79
  • 2004/2/3 15:47

• h0s3r79

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/3 1

I'm the guy you see on the side of the parking lot because I ran into a parked car.

Found the answer I was looking for about 354739524 posts later, but damnit I found it.

I'd still love to blow up my install just to see what the pieces look like, so just let me know if you still need a guinea pig.

Thanks a million all - h0s3r79
-
"Wow(rubbing head), didn't see that car parked right there."

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits