• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

k site

can find at above link version of below

Category: XOOPS 2.x Modules
PHPBB module 1.11F Final Version: 1.11f
Submitted Date: 2003/6/21
Description:

Porting PHPBB 2.0.5 into XOOPS 2, Final version.
Only test with XOOPS 2.0.3.

While not tested it, or had a deep look and not up to speed on licence, but if 100% functional imo it should be considered to either replace newbb or at least be a built in option.

Can think of many benefits, a few being lessening load of devs, a better forum, more features and so on.

Thoughts ?

found an example athttp://www.myxoops.info/modules/pbboard/
whilst visting
http://www.myxoops.de/modules/news/

AndreyRa
Re: time to say goodbye to newbb?
  • 2003/6/23 23:14

• AndreyRa

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/16

Certainly if development XOOPS went faster - it would be possible to not see the given module.
There is only a question on translation of NewBB's database in the new module.

PS. If the question with licensing will not be solved, it will be necessary to develop NewBB up to phpBB's level. But all active users will be puts to themselves phpBB - is at all is not discussed.

tom
  • 2003/6/23 23:43

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I don't mean to make this sound negative, but with both IBF and PHPBB modules, they make core changes to the XOOPS files, my only concern is that when Xoops.org upgrade there scripts, you will need to wait for the dev of these modules to upgrade his modules, especialy if you are inexperianced with php.

Although these modules are great, and the Developer has done a wounderful Job, you have to take this into account and bare this in mind, especialy if Xoops.org Dev's make a major Security updates, you will be left waiting until the mods are updated before upgrading your security.

This is another concern of mine with core hacks.

Sorry about this, but I feel it is something people should be aware of first.

mike--h
  • 2003/6/24 0:13

• mike--h

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

ahhh! by suggesting adopting it as an offical module, I meant that the actual core mods will then become intergrated as part of the core. Sorry if didnt make it clear.

In a ideal world possiby could work as
the devs would then just have to ensure on the forum side that the hooks work

While the module side is maintained either outside or by part of the dev team,

Of course above is just a example, and may be a bit over simple and depends on many factors. As said not sure licence details, and all other stuff, would it effect/limit dev direction and so on

But at end of day the option of a fully intergrated uptodate phpbb module would to me be a step forwards
mike

netwize
  • 2003/6/24 5:18

• netwize

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/20

its great to have other forum mods but upgrading will be painful if XOOPS upgrade.

anyway: XOOPS is a CMS, its not a FORUM.

although its great to have an exceptional CMS with an exceptional Forum, I'm happy with XOOPS as an exceptional CMS at the moment.

I'm not willing to say goodbye to newbb yet.

Mikhail
  • 2003/6/24 6:10

• Mikhail

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/1/19

"Compatibility" and "(in)dependence" are two things to be thought about... btw, newbb is cool and works fine and fast

[]s,

mikhail miguel

brash
  • 2003/6/24 7:05

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

This is coming from a total PHP / CMS newbie purely from the viewpoint of manageablity and functionality and site layout. I almost chose PHP-Nuke over XOOPS with one of the main reasons being PHP-Nukes use of the phpBB forums (I also like the Somara XP theme for PHP-Nuke, I'm sick I know ) . One of the other major issues I have is with XOOPS is the CSS aligment issues with the seemingly very broken IE 5.X.

The things that stopped me was the rather hacky method it seems to take to get PHP-Nuke to work on a W2K / IIS server (especially in comparison to XOOPS), and reading through some of the post here saying how far ahead the XOOPS project is compared to the others which I'm inclined to believe given the very slick installation and general feel of XOOPS. The other thing was I've now come across several XOOPS based sites that don't seem to suffer the CSS layout issues I have at all indicating to me there must be an achieveable fix which I'm yet to persue.

Anyway, my point being although the newbb forums are totally functional, imho they lack a lot of statistical and management features that phpbb seems to offer. In the end I suppose it comes down to I'm looking for a complete cms, not one that'll just do the job. I think XOOPS is so close it's frustrating seeing it not taking that little bit further to improve on what I see as almost its only weakness (that being lack of top notch forums), especially when I lack the programming skills to be able to contribute in the area.

Just my 2 cents...

rebelus
  • 2003/6/24 8:49

• rebelus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/7/1 1

Why to change NewBB???

- Does PhpBb or IBF have "threaded view" options ?
(This is very important for looong discussions)
- Is it possible to integrate it with XOOPS "Comments"?
(This is also important for finding a specific user's messages)

I'm fine with NewBB. The one and only question about it "Why there is no Neasted view option like Comments?"

pod
  • 2003/6/24 10:16

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

I am currently running 4 XOOPS sites, all of which have been converted to use the IPBoard by koudanshi. The features of the IBF module far outweigh any issues about waiting for updates post-official-upgrade. If it werent for the availability of the IBF module, I would never have chosen XOOPS as my CMS.

A forum is quite possibly the most important part of a community site, second to the ability of the community to easily access the site in the first place. Koudanshi has single handedly made XOOPS 1000x more user-friendly in these respects, as his Login Hack in conjunction with the IBF module solve 2 big XOOPS issues: a sub-standard forum & A CMS that lets ur session expire mid-activity, formerly incapable of "remembering me".

I think the XOOPS Dev team should seriously consider adopting this module, all parties willing. It is an outstanding module as is, integrated not into the comments but into everything else: Recent Activity displayed in XOOPS profile & all. If you take the time to register on
this site you can see how I have integrated it seemlessly into the rest of the site, the 'Recent Topics' block serves the function of the Recent Comments block, only better, with more detailed information...
I'm just saying, if its this good already, imagine what the whole XOOPS team could do to improve on it if they were to take it on as a Core module. It might blow up.

brash
  • 2003/6/24 11:56

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hey thepod, you have just answer 2 out of the 3 highest ranking reservations I had about XOOPS. After reading your post I went straight to that site and have already got IPBoard working on my testsite and will give his phpBB module a spin in the next week.

Only problem I've had is that I've been unable to get the login hack to work . However through tinkering I've managed to stop my site working at all , lucky I backed up. I'm using a W2K / IIS combo, are you able to point me in the direction of getting this login hack to work? I've tried doing everything discussed on the forums there, but nothing changes.

Login

Who's Online

278 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 278

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits