madDan
Time for an upgrade/update host no longer supporting older php
  • 2019/1/19 12:59

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/1/6 1

A site I have helped keep ticking over over the years has had changed forced upon it, namely the host no longer supports older php.

The site is based on 2.5.0 yes I know bad person it didn't get the interim updates as to many modules didn't work at the time.

In the past when I updated I resorted to doing a complete fresh install of the site and its modules.

I have never successfully done an upgrade style of update is going from 2.5.0 to the latest build achievable in a single step or will I have to do several iterations?

Current issues look like

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsCache::read() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\preload.php on line 85

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsCache::getInstance() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\cache\xoopscache.php on line 263

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsLoad::load() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\cache\file.php on line 110

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsLoad::loadCore() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\xoopsload.php on line 71

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsFile::getHandler() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\cache\file.php on line 111

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsFile::load() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\file\xoopsfile.php on line 108

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsLoad::load() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\file\file.php on line 105

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsFile::getHandler() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\file\file.php on line 106

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsFile::load() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\file\xoopsfile.php on line 108

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsLists::getFileListAsArray() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\preload.php on line 89

Deprecated: Non-static method XoopsLists::getFileListAsArray() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in D:\theroadster.net\wwwroot\trc\class\preload.php on line 89

At the top of each page

Current modules

System 2.1
xforms 1
MP Manager 2.75
Polls 1.3
Sections 1
Catads 1.53
newbb 4.3
user profile 1.6
news 1.65
xoopsfaq1.11
articles 1.03
mylinks 1.1

Happy Linux Framework 1.5
Waiting contents 0.95
Indexscan 2.03
Clockcalendar 2
protector3.4

Primarily the site has become little more than a forum but it does utilise articles heavily as static content

Clearly the most important functionality to keep for the site will be the forum and the articles, the owners of the site are not software technical and leave it to me several attempts to migrate the site over the years were proposed but got no where so here we are still running on this old version.

Currently I have the site closed to users

From Overview

XOOPS Version XOOPS 2.5.0
PHP Version 5.6.23
mySQL Version 5.6.19

Is it just a case of bite the bullet and do a new build or would an upgrade work given a lot of the older modules?

Mamba
Re: Time for an upgrade/update host no longer supporting older php
  • 2019/1/19 21:50

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

There is a good guide on how to upgrade your old XOOPS installation:
https://xoops.gitbook.io/xoops-2-5-9-install-upgrade/

Before you go on this journey, identify latest versions of the modules that I absolutely want to continue to use, and check if they work in XOOPS 2.5.9, and have them available.

Before you do the upgrade itself, I would deactivate all modules, except Protector, Profile, and Private Messages, as they come as standard with XOOPS.

Then copy individually the latest version of each module, and activate it in Admin, and run update of the module.
Do NOT copy all the latest module versions at once, in case there are some conflicts between them.

And of course, make BACKUP of the database and of the installation.

To make sure that everything works, you might run all of this first on a test installation.

But with PHP Version 5.6.23 I don't anticipate major problems. The only problem might be with the Articles module. I would suggest to move to Publisher, as it is actively developed.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

madDan
  • 2019/1/20 13:56

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/1/6 1

Cheers for the reply

I have lost a few modules but nothing the site can't live without.

Mylinks
Sections
CatAds.

I will look at Publisher which I think nicely can not only take over from Articles but also fill in the gap left by Sections.

It went better than I thought.

Nice to finally get some house keeping done.

tzvook
  • 2020/3/7 8:35

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Hello
I'm still working with the happy linux modules and lately updated them to the new versions ( 10X mamba) ... but I also work with the rssc module and it's not working with php 7+ ..

The RSSC module is integrated with the Weblinks module, so it's kinda unreplacable for me ...
when I turn on the integration in WEBLINKS I get this in debug :

WarningDeclaration of happy_linux_rss_view_item_single::sanitize(&$paramshould be compatible with happy_linux_rss_view_basic::sanitize() in file /modules/happy_linux/class/rss_view_object.php line 0

I tried to fix the module, but since I was far from Xoops for the last 5 years or so ... It's a bit difficult
I'll be happy if the RSSC module will be updated too ...

tzvook
  • 2020/3/7 9:51

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Actually it seemss that it's more of an issue with "Declaration … should be compatible” warnings in PHP 7" so it's a HAPPY LINUX MODULE issue : /modules/happy_linux/class/rss_view_object.php

Mamba
  • 2020/3/8 14:57

• Mamba

You might take a look at:

https://github.com/mambax7/happy_linux
https://github.com/mambax7/rssc_headline
https://github.com/mambax7/rssc
https://github.com/mambax7/webmap3
https://github.com/mambax7/weblinks

and test them. I've made these changes using PHP 7.4.3

There are no guarantees that the modules will work altogether, since I don't use them and therefore I don't know how they should work.

Please test and see if it works....

If you have any fixes, please fork on GitHub and contribute back!

Thank you,
Support XOOPS => DONATE

tzvook
  • 2020/3/8 22:13

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

10x Mamba ... will check as soon as I can
meanwhile I sent you some code for EXTCAL
https://github.com/XoopsModules25x/extcal/pull/20
.... no time to fork ... sorry ...

tzvook
  • 2020/3/9 9:39

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Hi M
I updated them all ( lots of work since all are heavily modified and it's a live site
RSSC and WEBLINKS works fine but when I define WEBLINKS to work with RSSC I get Errors (fatal) from weblinks/class/weblinks_rssc_view_handler.php ... it's the RSSC files in weblinks/class/

ErrorCall to a member function get_feed_count_by_mid() on null in file /modules/weblinks/class/weblinks_rssc_view_handler.php line 90

and then (after wrapping it with an IF ...)

ErrorCall to a member function get_link_by_lid() on null in file /modules/weblinks/class/weblinks_rssc_view_handler.php line 69

so I lost it there ...

Mamba
  • 2020/3/9 11:56

• Mamba

What PHP and XOOPS versions are you using?

Also, it would be useful if you could provide a "user scenario", so then we could test if it works. Because I don't use these modules, it's hard to test them because I don't know what is the standard usage...
Support XOOPS => DONATE

tzvook
  • 2020/3/9 12:42

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Configuration:
PHP: 7.2.24
XOOPS: 2.5.10
Weblinks: 2.1 ( your latest)
Rssc: 1.3 ( your latest)
RSSC Headline 1.21
HappyLinux: 1.82 ( your latest)

User scenario:
When enabling the rss/Atom feeds in the Weblinks preferences ( eblinks/admin/config_manage_4.php on top, using the Rssc in the scroll-down box)
The Weblinks module gets errors and stop working - Error: Call to a member function get_feed_count_by_mid() on null
and "Error: Call to a member function get_feed_count_by_mid() on null in file /modules/weblinks/class/weblinks_rssc_view_handler.php line 90" in DEBUG

Login

Who's Online

141 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 141

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits