xoops forums

Dhurgan

Just popping in
Posted on: 12/8 21:52
Dhurgan
Dhurgan (Show more)
Just popping in
Posts: 68
Since: 2004/2/11
#1

Upgrade problem going from 2.3.3 to 2.5.10

Hi,
I have a really old xoops 2.3.3 install running under php 5.2.17, MySQL 5.1 on Apache 2.2 on Solaris 11 that I am now trying to move to Ubuntu 18-04 with php 7.2.24, MySQL 5.7.28
I dumped the db from the old and uploaded it into the newver mysql without problems, all data seems to be there, I also moved the old xoops install over and configured it under the local apache and php.
I then followed the upgrade instructions and used the XoopsCore25-2.5.10 package and prepared it in accordance with the instructions and started the upgrade by referencing the upgrade folder on my website. I got to log in as the admin of the site and the upgrade proceeded immediatly to the step 2.4.x to 2.5.0 and presented the message Applied patch upd-2.4.x-to-2.5.0 and a Continue button.

However, pressing that Continue button does nothing... just presents the saem page again.

if I clear the index.php from the path, it's presents the step before as the last done and wants to rerun the 2.4.x to 2.5.0 step, doing that sends us back to the state before...

Checking the error.log it shows the message...
Upgrade required on users table!, referer:
So apparently some step in the upgrade has required a db schema change.

Are those changes possible to get as sql command files from here, all I find is php scripts that does some sql calls that might be doing this, but a simple modify table script would be cool if you have for the changes?

Or maybe this is a known bug, I see more people had trouble with that step before.

/Dhurgan, long time user of a very old xoops :)

Mamba

Moderator
Posted on: 12/9 0:09
Mamba
Mamba (Show more)
Moderator
Posts: 10944
Since: 2004/4/23
#2

Re: Upgrade problem going from 2.3.3 to 2.5.10

HI Dhurgan,

it's always great to see loyal users of XOOPS!

I don't know what to tell you, without looking at the installation.

What you could do is to create a fresh installation of XOOPS, and then compare the structure of the user table on both installations, and check if there are any differences, and then eventually make these changes manually.

Let us know what you find out, so we can see if we need to make some changes to the Upgrade script.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Dhurgan

Just popping in
Posted on: 12/9 6:50
Dhurgan
Dhurgan (Show more)
Just popping in
Posts: 68
Since: 2004/2/11
#3

Re: Upgrade problem going from 2.3.3 to 2.5.10

That was my plan if there wasn't any ready made difference scripts...
A fresh install it is then... it's always troublesome when there large jumps in versions, especially since everything jumped in the LAMP also :)

geekwright

Quite a regular
Posted on: 12/10 14:01
geekwright
geekwright (Show more)
Quite a regular
Posts: 302
Since: 2010/10/15
#4

Re: Upgrade problem going from 2.3.3 to 2.5.10

Quote:

Dhurgan wrote:
...
Checking the error.log it shows the message...
Upgrade required on users table!, referer:
So apparently some step in the upgrade has required a db schema change.
...


The message you mention is not a fatal error, it is informational and occurs at signon when it attempts to update the hash of your password. The hash used to store passwords is much more advanced now, so the 'pass' column was expanded to 255 characters. The system will continue to function, but it will not be able to store the new stronger passwords using the new hash. A later upgrade step will fix that.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Some things to keep in mind:
- old protector hacks to mainfile.php need to be disabled
- disabling modules before starting the upgrade may help

Dhurgan

Just popping in
Posted on: 12/11 21:49
Dhurgan
Dhurgan (Show more)
Just popping in
Posts: 68
Since: 2004/2/11
#5

Re: Upgrade problem going from 2.3.3 to 2.5.10

Hacks might be a problem, I have disabled all modules but the System one.
The databases are, as you said, more or less identical, I noticed the change in password size... but figured that could not cause such a stop

At the moment I have made a fresh install of Xoops and is looking to see if I can populate it with the data from the old one in some manner, i can code so importing data from one and moving it over to the other should be ok if it needs some converting, but so far it looks to be ok

It simply wont get past that step in the process, but if there is a protector hack that might block it... then I need to figure that one out