Mamba
XOOPS Modules Tutorials in ReadTheDocs style
  • 2017/8/6 17:40

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

First test to leverage XOOPS module tutorials created with Gitbook , to create a site for our tutorials in the style of "ReadTheDocs":

Resized Image

https://docu.xoops.org/mkdocs/modules/

What do you think?

We need docs writers and translators! Can you help?

Since this was just a test, some of the links inside the tutorials might not work. With your help, we will fix it!

This was our announcement about using Gitbook as the tool for our documentation, and it's good that we can now leverage this tool to create other styles of documentation, like the ReadTheDocs style!

For the people who would like to help us:

1) We have documented the XOOPS Documentation Process, so please review it and let us know if it works for you

2) We have created a "XOOPS Docs Starter Kit" with a predefined folder and file structure, that you can use to jump-start your project

We hope that once you realize how easy it is to contribute, you'll help us to make XOOPS Documentation really shine!!!

Viva XOOPS!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

aerograf
Re: XOOPS Modules Tutorials in ReadTheDocs style
  • 2017/8/7 8:17

• aerograf

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2017/1/7 1

Language selection is possible? I did not find something ...

Mamba
  • 2017/8/7 12:02

• Mamba

We don't have a language selection, because we don't have translations, with exception of few tutorials created by Goffy, which he wrote in German.

As an example of a language selection for an individual tutorial , you can take a look at the xNewsletter tutorial. Once you click on the green Read button, you'll have a selection of English and German language.

Since Mkdocs shows all the tutorials we have at once, it would require more translations, to make sense. But once we have more tutorials in other languages, we could add a language selection here as well.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

aerograf
  • 2017/8/7 17:33

• aerograf

• Quite a regular

How are there no others?
Https://github.com/XoopsDocs/lexikon-tutorial/tree/master/ru
Https://github.com/aerograf/soapbox-tutorial/tree/master/ru
Others are quietly engaged
Https://github.com/aerograf/tag-tutorial
Or it is necessary to transfer?

goffy
  • 2017/8/8 4:38

• goffy

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/27

Hi Mamba

I agree with aerograf. We have translated tutorials and it make only sense if there is the possibility to select languages.

And what is the source of this tool? Contact refers to an old version of contact, not to the current on gitbook
And I miss all my tutorials of the wg-modules

Mamba
  • 2017/8/8 18:46

• Mamba

Please remember that this was only "First test".

Based on the feedback we'll either improve it and keep it, or if there is no interest in having it, we'll cancel it, and just keep the Gitbook tutorials.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

aerograf
  • 2017/8/8 18:52

• aerograf

• Quite a regular

If everyone is working athttps://www.gitbook.com/@xoops and the repository on GitHub, do you have to reinvent the wheel?

goffy
  • 2017/8/9 10:39

• goffy

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/27

Basically I agree with mamba. It would be also nice to have an overview for all tutorials on xoops.org, because everything what relates to xoops should be linked on xoops.org

But it should support language selections and should also be automatically synced with github/gitbook. I think we haven't enough volunteers to support an additional tool.
I don't know whether this is possible with your tool or not.

aerograf
  • 2017/8/9 11:23

• aerograf

• Quite a regular

I agree that it's better to have one domain. Then can I consider the possibility of multilanguage on xoops.org?

zyspec
  • 2017/8/9 14:15

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

@mamba - this is potentially a really good opportunity, thanks for seeking this out...

It appears that once ReadTheDocs is setup correctly (and our DocBooks are configured) that ReadTheDocs will 'easily' support both localization/internationalization, auto-updating using WebHooks, versioning support, etc.

I'm sure there's a whole set of rules for things we need to do (or not do) so if anyone wants to help document best practices I'm sure @mamba would love the help!

Login

Who's Online

88 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 87

Heil,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!