Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

timgno
Re: XOOPS 2.5.7 Beta 1 Released for Testing
  • 2014/4/3 22:43

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

I think we would need a small change to the database or criteria class to verify the same names in a field if we need it.

For example, I noticed that if I create a new category with the same name exists, in the module profile, makes me wonder whether or create without stop me with a message if you want to continue to create it with the same name.

It would take a check for this by xoops core without having to rewrite a lot of code each time for each module.

Mamba
  • 2014/4/4 2:24

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I think we would need a small change to the database or criteria class to verify the same names in a field if we need it.

Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the database? If you're creating a new module, you can set a field or several fields to be "unique" if that's what you want.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

timgno
  • 2014/4/4 9:13

• timgno

• Module Developer

What I meant is, why did not you also set UNIQUE KEY cat_title in the table profile_category, of the module profile?

Mamba
  • 2014/4/4 12:37

• Mamba

Quote:
What I meant is, why did not you also set UNIQUE KEY cat_title in the table profile_category, of the module profile?

I don't know, as I was not on the team creating this module.

My understanding is that you are adding Unique keys, if there is a lot of records, possibly added by many people, and it is critical that no two records are the same. For example, checking for user name or user email is critical, because the data is entered by the users, there is a high volume of the data, and we absolutely don't want users with the same user name or the same email address.

But when I look at that Profile category names, why would it be so important?

It can be changed only by the Admin, and it has only 4 records

-Personal
-Messaging
-Settings
-Community

so if you add even one or two more, I think, it is pretty hard to make a mistake and add the same name twice.

Obviously you encountered something with this issue, so what is the reason for your request? Is there something critical about it that the Core Team should be aware of?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

timgno
  • 2014/4/4 15:21

• timgno

• Module Developer

Quote:
But when I look at that Profile category names, why would it be so important?

Look at this picture:

Resized Image

As you can see it creates different names of table for the same module, if I insert UNIQUE KEY table_name in mysql table, it makes me just create a table name for all modules and this is not good.

For example, if I want to create different modules of the same name in table,
I can not do with UNIQUE KEY

The picture should clarify the concept

Mamba
  • 2014/4/4 16:29

• Mamba

I understand the concept of Unique key and what it is for.

And XOOPS is doing it where it is important, like checking at registration if there already a user with the same name or the same email address. If it is, then XOOPS won't let you register.

But I don't understand why would it be important for the Profile's category name?

Your screenshot is related to the TDMCreate, but I don't see the connection to Profile module. If it is important, I am sure that the Core Team would change it, but if it is not important, then why bother, when there are more important issues to tackle?

In 10 years of using XOOPS, I have added category to Profile only once! And it was only me who did it, so there was no risk of doing something wrong and entering a duplicate name. So personally I am not sure I understand why the Profile's category name is important, but I would love to learn more...
Support XOOPS => DONATE

timgno
  • 2014/4/4 20:18

• timgno

• Module Developer

Then I'll tell you more!

Given that the profile module is the best known, I consider that, but if I have to do the same work on different modules, such as publishers, news, fcontent, etc., then it becomes more complicated with so many codes to be completed for all modules.

It is sufficient that this control to the database was done by the core.

I hope I was more clear now!

timgno
  • 2014/4/15 23:10

• timgno

• Module Developer

I have problems to activate the Top Posters block, when it is activated and I go in user page, I get a blank page with no error specified by the debug.

alain01
  • 2014/4/16 7:53

• alain01

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/20

Hi,
i think it's a bad configuration in your profile module.
Please check all grant access in the permissions tab.

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits