Mamba
Re: Publisher 1.0 Final ready for testing
  • 2013/10/22 15:22

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
In this case the version of this module needs to be set to beta. This is not a finished module

This module has been in Beta for a long time, and then in RC. Since there were no reports on any bugs anymore, it has been released as Final.

If there are new bugs being discovered, they will be fixed as time permits, and new version will enter the standard beta testing cycle.

As always, we encourage everybody to test, improve, and provide bug fixes to us, so we can incorporate them as we go forward.

This is Open Source, so it is all about the whole community working together on fixing and improving XOOPS and its modules.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mamba
  • 2013/10/22 15:26

• Mamba

Quote:
publisher is more than a normal module, it could be used for blogs, news, articles, content, photo album. but we need to set a template for each kind of them.

We've been working with Heyula on developing some new templates for Publisher. But we need more designers to work together on this. Publisher is an excellent module, with a lot of potential to become even better, but we need the help from more designers, but so far, except for Heyula, we didn't get much reaction from the designers
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mamba
  • 2013/10/22 15:39

• Mamba

Quote:
I have played a little bit with the publisher module and there are couple of things that need improvements.

Thank you for the testing and the feedback!

Quote:
the code is full of smartsection code.

Publisher is an improved version of SmartSection, a fork.

Quote:
there are blocks that can not be used with the publisher module. they need to be deleted because they are confusing users.

Which ones? Could you provide more details, and detailed improvement suggestions?

Quote:
why is there no article/item picture anymore? the smarty for this picture is in all relevant templates. even in the block templates.

Again, we need more details - which smarty? Examples/suggestions on how could it be done?

Quote:
there are unused functions in the class files. for example there is a class to display the category image in the article but it is not used. with only one line of code you can also display category images in articles

Which functions? Can you give an example of the one line of code?

Quote:
is anyone developing this module?

There is no new development. I am helping with bug fixing, but in order to move the module forward and add new features, we need the community involvement...
Support XOOPS => DONATE

mariane
  • 2013/10/22 16:41

• mariane

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/1/11

Quote:
We've been working with Heyula on developing some new templates for Publisher. But we need more designers to work together on this. Publisher is an excellent module, with a lot of potential to become even better, but we need the help from more designers, but so far, except for Heyula, we didn't get much reaction from the designers

the problem is not only in the templates, we need to adjust the feautures, for example we need to choose from the settings the blog mode so the blog templates will be automatically loaded : authors articles, tags, jquery...etc
currently publisher is using 2% of its power. I think we need a developer to fix the code, then a designer to work on the templates. a real workshop.

Mamba
  • 2013/10/22 17:29

• Mamba

Quote:
currently publisher is using 2% of its power. I think we need a developer to fix the code, then a designer to work on the templates. a real workshop.

I agree totally with you.

Let's set up a team focused on Publisher, with designers and developers, and let's see what could we do together...
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Bleekk
  • 2013/10/22 18:38

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/12/14

I am right now working with the xnews module which seems much more finished then publisher. it also provides article images.
I will write you asap which corrections should be done

Mamba
  • 2013/10/22 19:23

• Mamba

Thanks, Bleekk. Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Please note that while there might be some features missing in Publisher, its strength is in performance, and what I understand from previous messages from Trabis - he took a lot of time to make sure that that the memory usage is minimal even with 100,000s of articles, etc.

xNews, while added several new and needed features, is still based on the old News module, that has an outdated architecture.

But again, I would like to see News, xNews, and AMS merged in to one module, so people could continue using it, if that's their preference, but focus our limited resources on Publisher and make it really cool and top-notch module. It's just easier to add features if you know that the underlying architecture is sound and will guarantee a good performance into the future.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Bleekk
  • 2013/10/22 20:26

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

template publisher_item.html => line 17:
there is smarty for item image. but you can't have a item image. this was possible in the smartsection module
In the class/item.php I also see a funtion to get the article image but it is not possible to create one

class/item.php there is a function getCategoryName() which returns category name. we do not use it to return a smarty with the category name.
this is important if you want to make cool tamplates.

there is a bug in the publisher_display_full.html template
<span class="publisher_collaps_info"">
==> 2x"

also in publisher_display_summary.html
<span class="publisher_collaps_info"">
==> 2x

I have corrected this 2 bugs and formatted the html code because it was terrible formatted

Here are this 2 templates

Mamba
  • 2013/10/22 21:53

• Mamba

Thanks Bleekk for the fixes.

I've updated the SVN.

Support XOOPS => DONATE

Bleekk
  • 2013/10/23 9:26

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

OMG I was soooo wrong with the publisher module!
I was looking in the code today and saw that there is a article image so I looked in the options in the module and all you have to do is to set the permissions!
This is really cool! There are soo much more options. I will test the module today because right now I have troubles to upload a image

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits