vmax2extreme
Site online, but nobody can login?

As of today, nobody, including admin can login to our www.vmoa.net site. No changes have been made in awhile and we are locked out. No errors are being thrown at the attempted login, it just brings you back to the mainpage for login. We are using version v2.5.6.

I logged into phpadmin and it looks intact so not sure what to do here.

Any suggestions what can be the cause and fix?

Thanks in advance....

xoobaru
Re: Site online, but nobody can login?
  • 2013/10/10 17:08

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

What about your host access and error logs? What to they show for timestamped log entries related to your unsuccessul login attempts, and how do they differ from entries related to known previous successful logins/signups?

What about your host, any changes there beyond your awares?

vmax2extreme

I can login to my host site and do not see anything that stands out at all. No changes what so ever. It almost seems that the database is detached from the website since nothing seems to prompt for error and just stays on the homepage.

I opened a ticket with my host site and they tried to restart the MySQL server, but still no logins at all. Everything else works except login on the website. New users can request accounts, password resets process, but when you try to login, you cant.....

dbman
  • 2013/10/10 17:27

• dbman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/28

If you've recently turned on "use custom session" in the general preferences this may be the cause.

You can disable this from the database, assuming you can't login. Look at the config table -> conf_name column for a value of 'use_mysession', set the conf_value of this row as 0 to disable.

-- change xoops_ to your own table prefix
update xoops_config set conf_value 
0 where conf_name 'use_mysession';

vmax2extreme

As stated, nothing has been modified in admin except for approving new users.

Mamba
  • 2013/10/10 17:35

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
As of today, nobody, including admin can login to our www.vmoa.net site. No changes have been made in awhile and we are locked out.

Sometimes the issue is with the "sessions" table getting out of synch, if the site or the server crashed, or was not properly restarted.
Most of the time it is sufficient to clear this table, which you can do in the Admin->Maintenance
Just select to clear the Cache, and clear the Sessions table.

Quote:
As stated, nothing has been modified in admin except for approving new users.

Things don't happen "out of the blue" - there is always a reason, sometimes we just don't see it right away. Sometimes we have to dig deep into logs, and then we'll find the reason.

Just couple of days ago I was helping somebody who is an experienced XOOPS user, who assumed that the update to XOOPS 2.5.6 broke everything, and that XOOPS is no good.
After digging in, I have found:

- the server was misconfigured and was blocking access, creating 403 error
- after this was fixed, it came up that the PHP was updated to 5.4.x, which caused one very old module to cause blank pages

Now everything is working fine, but of course, the first reaction was: "It's all XOOPS' fault"

And yes, sometimes there are bugs, which we need to fix. But the key is to approach each issue systematically, without assuming anything, and in most cases we'll find the reason causing that issue...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/10/10 17:42

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

But, how does one

Quote:

Just select to clear the Cache, and clear the Sessions table.

when,

Quote:

As of today, nobody, including admin can login to our www.vmoa.net site

Mamba
  • 2013/10/10 17:44

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

1) You can empty the table using phpMyAdmin

2) You can clear cache by going directly to the folders via FTP and delete all the files except "index.html"

BTW - you might also clear your browser's cache, and your cookies for your Website.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

vmax2extreme

I've logged into FTP and went to the cache folder to remove all but the index.html file. Still cant login or no errors when you try.

/xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache/*
*/

vmax2extreme

Are there any site log files that I can pull via FTP for xoops to see what might be going on?

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits