xoobaru
What Happened to the Mobile Theme?
  • 2013/9/27 14:17

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Hey anyone from the French quarter, is the mobile theme that was still being tested quite some time ago about to moved to Beta any time soon? Maybe crowd sourced testing would move it along faster.

Cesagonchu
Re: What Happened to the Mobile Theme?

I asked Tatane and Grosdunord.

I have no news from Grosdunord for a long time.
Tatane explained me that it was not possible to share the mobile theme they created because it takes a lot of changes in html and php modules for an entire website Xoops operates in mobile.

chco2
  • 2013/9/29 7:34

• chco2

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/3/5 1

I've created a mobile theme and it works like a charm.
Only problem you can run into is the fact that what if someone does not want the mobile version, but the desktop version. The implementation suggested will always force certain devices to certain themes.
If you're not bothered with that you just make two themes. One desktop version and one mobile version. What Tatane probably means is the fact that on the mobile version you want to skip certain elements from your desktop version. What you want to skip will always be for a webmaster to decide. He would know what to skip and what not. So creating a general mobile theme would not be that easy, unless it is responsive. But that would kinda miss the whole point, since you don't need a specific mobile version of a theme if your desktop theme is responsive.
Hope it made any sense

tatane
  • 2013/9/29 9:49

• tatane

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/5/6 1

Quote:

chco2 wrote:
What Tatane probably means is the fact that on the mobile version you want to skip certain elements from your desktop version

Just above that there is the possibility of making visible things with the "display" attribute

btw bootstrap uses this technique

xoobaru
  • 2013/9/29 15:26

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Quote:

I am having a conflict with the ways and means of doing this. As Cesag quoted Tatane, modules have their own html that carry forward into the XOOPS desktop theme, would modules not have to be mobile ready html templates as well (with mobile user agent awareness too)? Otherwise you would be shoehorning module html designed for desktop into a mobile XOOPS theme, which could have very ugly results. This is perhaps what you mean by administrator taking out....whatever.

Typically, a simple mobile them will be an elastic single column with header/footer where the menu items and various links get left justified and arranged in vertical order, and the area between header and footer gets replaced by module template, as selected by menu that is part of the header.

chco2
  • 2013/9/30 23:26

• chco2

• Module Developer

Quote:

tatane wrote:
Quote:

chco2 wrote:
What Tatane probably means is the fact that on the mobile version you want to skip certain elements from your desktop version

Just above that there is the possibility of making visible things with the "display" attribute

btw bootstrap uses this technique

That's actually not what I meant.. Most likely you want specific content or blocks to not appear. You can do that with CSS, but only if you ID that certain content to be able to hide, alas losing the capability of having a general Mobile theme.

chco2
  • 2013/9/30 23:32

• chco2

• Module Developer

Quote:

xoobaru wrote:
Quote:

I am having a conflict with the ways and means of doing this. As Cesag quoted Tatane, modules have their own html that carry forward into the XOOPS desktop theme, would modules not have to be mobile ready html templates as well (with mobile user agent awareness too)? Otherwise you would be shoehorning module html designed for desktop into a mobile XOOPS theme, which could have very ugly results. This is perhaps what you mean by administrator taking out....whatever.

True and yes that is what I meant.
Fortunately, not many modules use their own CSS files (and they shouldn't except for very specific parts I guess). One thing you can do with a Theme is have the "final" say in CSS. Overriding all previous made decelerations. Unfortunately that also means a theme maker needs to be prepared for many specific declarations made for a module.

chco2
  • 2013/9/30 23:38

• chco2

• Module Developer

Quote:

xoobaru wrote:

Typically, a simple mobile them will be an elastic single column with header/footer where the menu items and various links get left justified and arranged in vertical order, and the area between header and footer gets replaced by module template, as selected by menu that is part of the header.

That could also be done using a responsive theme for both desktop and mobile.
What XOOPS France has made is basically a PHP script checking what browser is viewing the site and choose the specific Theme for it, giving the Admin more control of what content is showing.

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits