Hi, my website is kind of slow, can I do something about it

FLa

Anonymous
Re: website speed
  • 2013/8/30 16:14

• Anonymous

• Since:

Sure you can

First of all check your site with an online speed tester, google has a good one:
http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

I did test your site (http://fla-ts.com) and there are some issues, some are a bit difficult to deal with but with compressing the many images on publisher pages you can improve loading of that pages.

I checked and it seems module caching is not enabled which is good, as their are some issues with caching after the cache is filled up after some time...

fla-ts
  • 2013/8/30 16:27

• fla-ts

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/1/4 1

Compressing meaning I have to replace the pictures or can I compres them inside xoops

Anonymous
  • 2013/8/30 16:29

• Anonymous

• Since:

I also disabled template rebuild in settings, as you don't need it in a production site. It slows down the site!

Anonymous
  • 2013/8/30 16:33

• Anonymous

• Since:

You have to compress them with a picture editor. It's the way you save them, less quality means reduced filesize and improved loading speed. Many photo editors also have a feature to save images optimized for web use (reduced filesize).

fla-ts
  • 2013/8/30 16:39

• fla-ts

• Friend of XOOPS

So I need to replace them at the site, all the figures are in .png because those are smaller than bitmap, jpg ...
Replacing is a lot of work.
Does the thing you did whith template helps.

Anonymous
  • 2013/8/30 19:28

• Anonymous

• Since:

The site is loading pretty well now.

But just compare the score from the frontpage when measured with the google tool I mentioned (96/100) with a page with many pictures likehttp://fla-ts.com/modules/publisher/item.php?itemid=10 (65/100). This proves the pictures slow down page render, but they still do after being optimized. As pictures use more bandwidth compared to text.

I guess the presentation module Mamba is developing could be a nice option for your site. Now your users have to scroll through some large pages with up to twenty pictures. Having a powerpoint alike presentation is more userfriendly and prevents having endless pages.

redheadedrod

There are utilities you could use to compress your pictures very easily. You may even be able to keep the same file names if you are careful with them. Depending on your operating system.

If you can't save as the same file name you may need to make a short script or find a batch rename program that will strip a common tag off the end of the file name.

Xoops won't care if you replace your large pictures with compressed versions as long as the files name are the same.

Your picture size and resolution are the only issues you need to consider.

If you are only doing pictures there are also picture gallery programs but they are likely not as flexible.

Rodney

fla-ts
  • 2013/8/30 20:13

• fla-ts

• Friend of XOOPS

Had a look at it, Mamba is doing a great job.
Do my regards.

In the mean time looking for those menu's of mine. I know it's a lot of scrolling to do thats why it shoul be a very good idea (your idea) that thy can choose an other part without to do the scrolling

btw the website is going a bit faster, thanks to you.

Mamba
  • 2013/8/30 20:37

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

This compression program is really good

http://caesium.sourceforge.net/

Free and Open Source!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits