Mamba
Re: Random Quotes
  • 2013/6/27 1:01

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I've committed a RandomQuote 2.0 Alpha 1 to SVN.

You can download it from there by clicking on the "Download Snapshot". Or you can just click here

Feel free to test it and provide here feedback.

It is a totally new version written from scratch, using some of the code generated by TDMCreate.

How to test it, if you plan to update an existing version of RandomQuote:

1) Install the original RandomQuote on your test Website (do NOT test on your production site)
2) add some quotes there
3) when you're done, delete all files from /modules/randomquote folder
4) copy all the files from the new RandomQuote module
5) run update on the module in Admin

Test if the quotes are still there.

There might some issues with the old block - I have to look into it, how to replace it or how to delete it.

Of course, if you don't have the old RandomQuotes, then ignore the above and install the module as any new module, and test it.

This is only Alpha, and there is still a lot of work to be done, mainly to make it compatible with Irmtfan's suggestions for new modules. For example, I'll try to make the tables using CSS div, etc.

I hope that based on the experience, we'll be able to update TDMCreate, so it generates clean XOOPS modules according to the new module standard done by Irmtfan. If we find or learn new things, we might add them to Irmtfan's guidelines too.

So please test it from the user perspective, and I would appreciate module developers helping us with suggestions on how to make the guidelines in general, and this module in particular, better.

What's new in this module:

- using XOOPS API (Blue Move)
- XOOPS 2.5.5 Admin GUI
- option to use WYSIWYG editors
- three blocks (recent, random, and Quote of the Day)

Possible extra features:
- letting users to add new quotes, with Admin approving them
- social networks bookmarks
- rating of quotes
- categories
- tags
- multi-lingual

all depending on my time, and interest from users
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

chefry
  • 2013/6/27 2:15

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

WTF????

I gave you a rewritten module for testing. It worked on 2.5.6

And you wrote a new one from scratch???

What was wrong with mine?

Mamba
  • 2013/6/27 2:23

• Mamba

Quote:
What was wrong with mine?

If you like it as it was, then it is nothing wrong with it

I've placed it in SVN and you can download it from here as version 1.20

I was looking at converting it to XOOPS 2.5.5 GUI and XOOPS API, but it would take me too much time - it was easier to rewrite it from scratch.

My focus is on standardization of XOOPS Modules, externally via the Admin GUI, and internally, by using XOOPS API. So it was a good exercise for me to use TDMCreate and trying to follow recommendations from Irmtfan (which will require more work, as I am not done yet)

Support XOOPS => DONATE

Cesagonchu

Thank you Mamba for your work

chefry
  • 2013/6/27 3:09

• chefry

• Home away from home

Frankly, I'm dumbfounded

A user submits a module for the repository and you decide to rewrite it from scratch

From now on any modules I do I'll just bloody well keep for myself

Cesagonchu

Mamba wanted to help you by remaking a module and you complain?
He creates a module that is 100% compatible Xoops latest version, while the latest module was not.
Mamba or anyone can edit copy or recreate a module because they are all under the GPL2 license.
Xoops and Xoops philosophy is the "sharing."
I sincerely hope I do not understand what you write, otherwise dare to moan for the generous gesture just made by Mamba, you must really be profoundly wicked.

chefry
  • 2013/6/27 6:37

• chefry

• Home away from home

My modules was 100% compatible with 2.5.6

There was nothing wrong with it, and it didn't need to be rewritten by anyone

Cesag stop brown nosing

Mamba
  • 2013/6/27 6:57

• Mamba

Quote:
A user submits a module for the repository and you decide to rewrite it from scratch

OK, Chefry, I looked into the module you submitted to me:

Resized Image

I tested it and I couldn't modify any of the entries, i.e. I could only delete it and re-enter in. There was also not possible to change the editor to something else, it was text only. I was also not sure about any potential security issues, since it was an older module. Theoretically, it shouldn't be a problem because the quotes could be only entered by the Admin

To make it all the changes that I thought should be done (working edit of existing entries, XOOPS 2.5.5 Admin GUI, editor selection) would take a lot of time.

So I thought, why not to rewrite from scratch? It should take less time, and by using XOOPS API, it would ensure easier maintenance in the future, and easier transition to XOOPS 2.6.0

So I did it. Now we have:

a) XOOPS 2.5.5 Admin GUI

Resized Image

b) Preferences with on option to select Editor:
Resized Image

c) a table view of all quotes, which is a standard for all XOOPS 2.5.5 GUI moudles

Resized Image

d) "editor" view, with possible WYSIWYG editor so you can have color, images, and all the other options:

Resized Image

The existing module should be easily upgraded to the new version, with all the quotes staying as they are, and nothing being lost.

But you have every right to want to keep it as it is. If you want to keep this module as you have it, and you want to be the official maintainer of it, work with other people to fix bugs, etc. that's perfectly fine. I will rename this new module to something else, like "MyQuotes", and it will become a totally different module.

As always, I am trying to help, but I have no interest to take over any modules from anybody. The rule is always the same for everybody:

a) if a module is an "orphan", you can take it over and continue with development, as long as there is a migration path for current users

b) if there is somebody maintaining a module, then fork it - rename it to something else, so there is no "name" conflict, like we had recently with some modules.

Bottom line of all this: if you want to be the developer/maintainer of the "RandomQuotes" module, then this module is yours, and I'll rename my module to something else.

Quote:
From now on any modules I do I'll just bloody well keep for myself

There is no need for it. We are always happy to see improvements done by people who then share it with the community. But based on this experience, just please mention that you're taking over the development of a particular module, so nobody will try to make any changes to it.

I hope, we're still friends

I am definitely not interested to have arguments about issues like this, as there more important and more interesting things for me to do, instead of stepping on somebody's toes.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Peekay
  • 2013/6/27 9:11

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

As much as I understand the desire to have modules that work with the latest core changes, people will not develop new modules for Xoops unless they are encouraged to do so. If Chefry did draw Mamba's attention to his module, it is not exactly encouraging to have it re-written and then re-published without being given the opportunity to upgrade it himself.

Of course it is quicker and easier for a maths teacher to do a student's homework than to teach maths, but Xoops is supposed to be a development platform as well as a solution. I remain concerned that is is losing its way in respect to this.

As to the spirit of sharing, I think the point has been missed. Legally, the GPL allows me to take the entire module pack that Mamba has worked on and re-publish every module under my name without touching a single line of code. The spirit of sharing however - in fact the spirit of open source software development - is that the experienced share their knowledge to help the less-experienced and provide the original code to help them learn.

Cesagonchu

You do not understand, Peekay. This is not the module of Chefry. Chefry is not a developer.
Take a look here.

Login

Who's Online

247 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 247

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits