wishcraft
Converting Modules between XOOPS 2.5 to 2.6

[size=x-large]Modules between XOOPS 2.5 to 2.6[/size]
An example done with MyAlbum-p 3.10
[size=x-small]Follow @espacey | Like Chronolabs | Join Chronolabs on Google+ | Become my Friend [/size]

Whitepaper: MyAlbum-p (3.10) from XOOPS 2.5 to XOOPS 2.6.pdf - 900Kb

Download: xoops2.6_myalbum-p_3.10.zip - 576Kb

Report Bugs: Chronolabs Issues Tickets

Try Demo: 2.6.xoops.demo.si-m-on.com

What is in this?

This release consists of a whitepaper that outlines all the changes to the Module MyAlbum-p 3.06 for XOOPS 2.5 to change it to MyAlbum-p 3.10 for XOOPS 2.6; I received an email a number of months ago requesting of the next module to convert to 2.6.0 of XOOPS should be MyAlbum-p; I was still recovering from an illness so I have taken longer than I normally would.

This whitepaper outlines all the general changes you will find in at least my 2.5 modules to make them a 2.6 module. The changes required will vary depending on the Authors attributes and usage of 2.5 Blue Room conventions; sometimes' there will be quiet a bit more changes like making smarty templates and so on.

What is MyAlbum-p?

MyAlbum-p was originally by the authors of protector; in series 3.xx of it I converted its conventions over to the Blue room conventions so that it was congruent with the platform, this for XOOPS 2.5 final edition of MyAlbum-p 3.06 which you will be able to get off the XOOPS SVN (In Branches) or from Chronolabs Legacy Downloads.

MyAlbum-p 3.xx has the following features:
  • Categories
  • Permissions
  • Batch Upload
  • Image Syndication
  • Top Ten
  • Rating
  • Popularity
  • Clone-able

MyAlbum-p 3.xx for reporting bugs and issue:

Goto Chronolabs Current for reporting Issues (Not Legacy)

redheadedrod
Re: Converting Modules between XOOPS 2.5 to 2.6

You really need to start changing the names of modules when you change them...

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/30 20:13

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
You really need to start changing the names of modules when you change them...

Simon tries to revive and update an abandoned module, I appreciate that. Maybe you do also but the way you express that feeling is a bit strange...

Mamba
  • 2013/3/30 20:41

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Wishcraft did the right thing by placing these modules in /branches under /wishcraft, and as long as people understand that for the time being these are just hacks, it's all good. We definitely have to appreciate his efforts to update these modules.

But Simon needs to do more testing, otherwise we'll be back to the same bug situation as before with his modules.

This module is not well tested. In just 5 minutes, I have found following bugs on the XOOPS 2.6.0 version:

Quote:
Fatal error: Call to a member function prefix() on a non-object in S:\wamp64\www\xoops260a5\modules\myalbum\class\text.php on line 49

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in S:\wamp64\www\xoops260a5\modules\myalbum\admin\photomanager.php on line 102

Notice: Undefined property: Xoops::$db in file /modules/myalbum/include/get_perms.php line 5
Notice: Undefined index: global_perms in file /modules/myalbum/xoops_version.php line 155
Notice: Undefined index: global_perms in file /modules/myalbum/xoops_version.php line 163
xoops_load is deprecated. See how to replace it in file S:\wamp64\www\xoops260a5\include\functions.php line 58
Strict: Only variables should be assigned by reference in file /modules/myalbum/include/oninstall.inc.php(37) : eval()'d code line 20
Warning: Missing argument 1 for Xoops::getConfig(), called in /modules/myalbum/include/read_configs.php on line 12 and defined in file /xoops_lib/Xoops.php line 1519
Notice: Undefined variable: key in file /xoops_lib/Xoops.php line 1521
Warning: Missing argument 1 for Xoops::getConfig(), called in /modules/myalbum/include/read_configs.php on line 12 and defined in file /xoops_lib/Xoops.php line 1519
Notice: Undefined variable: key in file /xoops_lib/Xoops.php line 1521
Strict: Only variables should be passed by reference in file /xoops_lib/Xoops.php line 818
Warning: Illegal string offset '' in file /modules/myalbum/class/comments.php line 56
Strict: Declaration of MyalbumPhotosHandler::delete() should be compatible with XoopsObjectHandler::delete(XoopsObject $object, $force = true) in file /modules/myalbum/class/photos.php line 273
Notice: Undefined property: Xoops::$db in file /modules/myalbum/class/text.php line 49
xoops_getModuleHandler is deprecated. See how to replace it in file S:\wamp64\www\xoops260a5\include\functions.php line 45

So the subject should state that these modules are in Alpha stage, with possibly many bugs.

I hope, he'll work on this more, and will fix all the bugs.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Cesagonchu

Quote:

flipse wrote:
Simon tries to revive and update an abandoned module, I appreciate that.

MyAlbum is not abandoned, please see here.

Thank you Wishcraft for your work.
Did you apply the corrections done by black_beard (because you did not follow the bugs that I announced) with the version I put the link above?

I hope you will answer me...

redheadedrod

It is appreciated that Simon works on modules and brings some good stuff to the table...

Having said that though he tends to promote modules as if his version is the official next version without tracking down the author or checking if it is abandoned. Then when people find bugs with it he can't be reached or wants you to pay him to debug stuff that he announces as final release.

If he would append something to the module to let people know it is HIS version it would be better...

As is currently a number of users have learned to steer away from his modules because of his track record of releasing bug ridden modules as final releases and not being available here to discuss it.

His Profile versions are a perfect example.
It is frustrating because he does good work if he ever gets them bug free but doesn't like to follow normal programming conventions.

iunderwood

I won't participate in the Simon beating at this time, but I did get a chance to look through the white paper highlighting the changes.

From my perspective as a module developer and a user, it appears to me that modules written before 2.6 will not work with 2.6. I accept this as the way it goes, particularly with the work done on the back end.

However, XOOPS has been perfectly content in the 2.x series to largely work with modules written for previous minor releases. I've still got some modules I've written for XOOPS 2.3 that work fine under 2.5. There have been tweaks and such along the way, but minor revision upgrades have been by and large inconsequential, especially from XOOPS 2.3 up through the recent 2.5.6.

That said, I think all the back end work in 2.6 justifies a major version bump. The changes in 2.6 alpha from 2.5 justify moving to a new major revision. Here's why:

* Module changes to support 2.6 are incompatible with prior releases entirely. This isn't an issue of writing a couple of checks in code to support some of the quirks either.
* Site dependencies on modules incompatible with 2.6 will slow its adoption.
* Users who expect another minor revision upgrade are in for a nasty surprise, no matter how good the documentation is written.

That said, and after the debacle with XOOPS 3, I think the upcoming release is a big enough deal to call XOOPS 4.

Mamba
  • 2013/6/16 16:31

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
That said, and after the debacle with XOOPS 3, I think the upcoming release is a big enough deal to call XOOPS 4.

I've said it on many occasions before: let's not be so hanged up on version numbers. We've done so many times before when we talked about XOOPS 4.0 with Skalpa, and than back to XOOPS 3.0, but we never delivered. Let's focus on one version, which is currently 2.6.0, and let's deliver on it!

Versioning nowadays is becoming meaningless. See the evolution of Firefox from 3.0 to 4.0, and now they follow Chrome versioning, so they are jumping every few months to a new version, and are now at 22.0. The same is with Chrome. Pretty soon they will be at version 1054

Ubuntu has a totally different versioning scheme, and everybody is happy there too.

XOOPS 2.6.0 is a new series. This implies that there will be changes. How big and how much we'll break existing modules, we don't know yet - we are at Alpha, i.e. there are many new additions being experimented with, and tested. Then we'll need to figure out if we can make them compatible with existing 2.5.6 modules.

The focus of XOOPS has been always to provide as much compatibility as possible. I hope, we'll do a good job with 2.6.0 as well.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

iunderwood

I really like what I see coming up in 2.6.0, and I am very much aware that it's still in an early alpha stage of testing.

I will, however, state my surprise that some of what I just converted to the 2.5.5 Admin GUI won't actually work in 2.6.0. Admittedly, this disappointed me, and looking at the changes, my first thought was "Damnit ... I just changed the GUI!"

I also do not mind learning another set of changes, either. However, until there's a shim layer in place so I don't have to go in and change all my $xoopsDB object calls, I can't say I'm in favor of calling this a v2 release.

And you are spot on as far as versioning being somewhat meaningless. XOOPS 2 has had many forks, many of which work fine with other XOOPS 2 modules. But with the changes to the backend, it might be time to move it up.

I think I've thrown enough cents at this opinion today. I eagerly anticipate future releases as 2.6 goes through further refinement.

irmtfan
  • 2013/6/20 2:54

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

while xoops 2.6 is a big step forward, developers can write/modify 2.5.X modules with the most compatibility with it.

Just follow the "How to write standard module for xoops" tutorial:https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=76036

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits