xoobaru
xPayment 1.52 bug report
  • 2013/3/22 18:14

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

In the permissions, there are two selectable config pages. Email forms and Gateways. When you go to select the gateway permissions page it dumps you out of permissions and back into the module General admins.

Is Wishcraft the only one addressing bugs for this module?

Mamba
Re: xPayment 1.52 bug report
  • 2013/3/22 18:39

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Is Wishcraft the only one addressing bugs for this module?

I hope that we all can work as a team and start addressing bugs together, regardless of whether Wishcraft is available or not

Fixing bugs is a good way to learn PHP. At least that's how I am learning!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/3/22 19:25

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

I agree on all points. Nice work on that Adslight module whoever did it. I think giving people the opportunity to buy and sell off stuff in tough economic times could only help a website. I will be running the integrated modules through the paces to see what I can screw up.

Cesagonchu

Mamba
  • 2013/3/23 8:00

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Nice work on that Adslight module whoever did it.

Yes this is a very nice module, and the credit goes to Luc Bizet (iLuc) from France who developed it based on Classifieds module by John Mordo (jlm69).
And of course credit goes also to Cesag who was doing all the testing on this release.

Good team work!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

timgno
  • 2013/3/23 10:36

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

It is a good idea to not use php variables like this:

$_POST['topayment']
in language/modinfo.php line 172

Due to the following error:

Quote:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in C:\wamp\www\xoops-2.5.5test\htdocs\modules\xpayment\language\english\modinfo.php on line 172

it is always better to use the sprintf() function in the php file, and then bring in the definitions with the character string %s

timgno
  • 2013/3/23 11:04

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

solved the problem of symbol $ in language files

please use this method \$

xoobaru
  • 2013/3/23 13:15

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Thanks to all.
Something just occurred to me so I want to probe a little deeper into the philosophy behind how xPayment is expected to interact with this module.

The nature of a transaction with a classified ad portal is different than that of a web store. In a webstore, a PayPal, Google Checkout or other gateway, uses the gateway ID of the store owner, as he/she is the one selling the merchandise.

In a classified ads model, the gateway ID should be that of the person selling the item, which could be any of multiplicity of IDs, a different one for each unique person who sells an item. The gateway(s) can only be configured for one.

So how would that work, or what is the expected operation vision? Do buyers just change the gateway ID manually once they get redirected to PayPal? There are people out there low enough on the "clueless index" who would send the money to the site owner if that is the option given to them, thinking they are paying the seller. So its not idiot proof.

The site should not be the financial middleman unless they are intentionally collecting a service charge. Just interested in comments.

Peekay
  • 2013/3/23 16:21

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I cannot test these modules at present, but surely the payment gateway module is intended for the site operator to offer premium (paid for) ads?.

Allowing classified advertisers to set their own Paypal payment link would indeed be dangerous for the site operator. Paypal's IPN system is not infallible and sadly there are a lot of bogus advertisers out there.

Other than providing a contact form, I would let the advertiser and the buyer do their own payment deal well away from your site and state that your site is just for placing ads. It might seem like a nice idea, but if your website facilitates the payment system for goods or services that don't materialise, you could be heading for a lot of trouble.

xoobaru
  • 2013/3/23 18:55

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

How are you Peekay,

Quote:

but surely the payment gateway module is intended for the site operator to offer premium (paid for) ads?.

Ahh, now it makes sense.

Quote:

It might seem like a nice idea, but if your website facilitates the payment system for goods or services that don't materialise, you could be heading for a lot of trouble.

To contrast what I said earlier about how a classifieds module can help people sell their stuff in tough times, these services are increasingly used to sell "other peoples stuff" (stolen), and contraband during these times. Being the middleman in the transaction itself could be dangerous.

Your first quote above pretty much rules out my original what-if questions.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits