Mamba
XOOPS Module Packs Overview- Draft 1
  • 2013/3/5 11:19

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

It's time to finalize our Module Packs.

Below is the preliminary list of modules, and they place in the proposed Module Packs:

- Basic
- Community
- Company
- eCommerce
- Mega

The requirements for all these modules are as follow:

- XOOPS 2.5.5 Admin GUI
- active development/maintenance
- tested and working on XOOPS 2.5.5 and under PHP 5.4

In Green, modules that are tested and released.
In Yellow, modules that are still being worked on, and if they're finalized on time, they will be included.

I am sure, that we've missed some modules, or some modules might be duplicate, and should be removed. Some modules might be not in all appropriate Packs.

If you don't know some of these modules, you can find descriptions for most of them in this article, or in the "XOOPS Resource Book"

Please let us know what you think.

Resized Image
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Cesagonchu
Re: XOOPS Module Packs Overview- Draft 1

Thank you for this summary!

You can also add CHG_mentions, created by black_beard (montuy337513).

This module displays the website's legal informations (demo here).

redheadedrod

Can you display that as a PDF or something Mamba? As a picture It is not easy to see everything on the list. On my screen it stops at Simple Newsletter. If I want to view it otherwise I have to save the picture out and then pull it in with a different program. If it is a PDF It will load with a scroll bar.

Mamba
  • 2013/3/5 13:45

• Mamba

Rodney, this is your PDF
Support XOOPS => DONATE

pacho
  • 2013/3/5 14:58

• pacho

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/7 2

Great summary list.

What I miss...

* Tag
* Backpack
* Formulaire

About module Publisher, it is ready for production? SEO links?

Thanks!

Mamba
  • 2013/3/5 15:18

• Mamba

@Pacho:Quote:
What I miss...

* Tag
* Backpack
* Formulaire

Tag should be there, my mistake, I'll fix that.

Instead of Backpack we have Backup - check it out.

Formulaire was not updated in ages, and for the simple forms we have xForm. For something more complicated people could use Formulize, but it is being developed outside of XOOPS, and without our Admin GUI.

I am thinking about maybe getting the list down to 50 modules total. This would be a nice headline: "50 shades of XOOPS!"

Should we go for the Top 50 modules only and make this list smaller?

Quote:
About module Publisher, it is ready for production? SEO links?

I hope so! I would like to see Publisher as our main focus for publishing. I hope, more people will contribute, especially in making it more user-friendly. Any jQuery gurus out there?

@ Cesag: Quote:

This seem to be a nice module, but it is limited to only France or potentially few countries of the EU, so it would be hard to include it for a package that is for the whole world.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Cesagonchu

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
@ Cesag: Quote:

This seem to be a nice module, but it is limited to only France or potentially few countries of the EU, so it would be hard to include it for a package that is for the whole world.

This is a module that displays information from a website. You have no information to indicate, according to your laws, on a website in the United States?
Anyway, how much do you need for countries that use a module for Xoops integrate?
It would be more accurate to check which countries do not need to integrate information from a website. There must be very little, I think.
If this concerns only the usa, so you are only one country that wouldn't use it.

Cesagonchu

This makes me think that we should establish a vote to formalize useful and priority modules for Xoops.
It is the whole community to decide what it is needed.
Do you have XoopsPoll module installed on xoops.org?

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/5 18:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

I would like a more practical approach, with packets supplementing each other. A basic pack with a content module, news module (why not make it basic?), mylinks and so on, not defacer and mytabs etc (just very basic). A community pack adding just community modules to the basic pack (without the modules in the basic pack added). A design pack with modules like defacer, mytabs and mastop. A webmaster utils pack with modules like waiting, backup and so on... An eCommerce pack only containing the eCommerce modules xoops has to offer.

With such a approach we don't 'patronize' users what modules they should use for a type of site but give them tools to be used when they are ready to investigate new levels of xoops. You also prevent users from downloading the same modules again and again.

This approach also prevents the big part of endless discussions and voting about what modules should be in a pack. Putting a backup module in a basic pack is disputable, but when adding it to a webmaster tools pack nobody will argue

Mamba
  • 2013/3/5 23:20

• Mamba

Quote:
I would like a more practical approach, with packets supplementing each other.

This will be the main question: as an end user, do I want to download 3 different packages, or do I want to download a total XOOPS solution as one package? Right now (as we did in the past), the thinking was more about having one package only as it is mainly focused on new users.

But your approach is also valid. How are others feeling? If you're a new user to XOOPS, what would make more sense for you?

Ultimately, the best way would be to have a "cafeteria" style of Package Repository, where users could select which packages/modules they would like to have, and the system creates a new zipped package with all the selected modules that could be then downloaded by the user.

Maybe we need to look at Oledrion and see if we could use it for this purpose. It would be like shopping: the user would select modules that would be added to his "shopping cart", and then when he is ready to "check-out", the system would zipped all of them into one package (with all potential dependencies) and give him a download link.

I'll also take a look at xAssets to see if we could accomplish it with that module, since it was designed to handle digital media.

Anybody interested to work on such approach?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits