cadelite
Multilingual vs Multisite
  • 2012/5/13 6:14

• cadelite

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/1/15

Hi, all!

For XOOPS 2.5.5, could you recommend the best practice of building a multilingual site using XOOPS?

I've used Wordpress's Multisite functionality and there are suggestions that "Multisite" may be used for managing multilingual sites, instead of using plugin/module, (e.g. each language may be built as "sub-directories", like "http://www.xyZ.com/en/" for English, "http://www.xyZ.com/jp/" for Japanese, etc.). The content of each sub-site of specific language is translated manually by local staff/translation expert, instead of by translation robot or Google's Translate.

How is the approach of XOOPS in dealing with multilanguage? Is Multisite functionality incorporated in XOOPS 2.6.0? Will SEO be affected by this functionality?

Thanks all!

Regards,

cadelite

Mamba
Re: Multilingual vs Multisite
  • 2012/5/13 7:14

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

We don't have currently a user-friendly "multi-site" capability to accomplish it. Wishcraft developed Multisite, but you need to have advanced skills to work with it, in case you run into difficulties, as it is complex and not for an average user.

The best current approach to a multilingual content using approach used by Wishcraft in his xCenter module. You can read about it in this paper.

I tested it xCenter together with xLanguage module, and it worked very well.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

cadelite
  • 2012/5/13 8:30

• cadelite

• Just popping in

Quote:
We don't have currently a user-friendly "multi-site" capability to accomplish it. Wishcraft developed Multisite, but you need to have advanced skills to work with it, in case you run into difficulties, as it is complex and not for an average user.

Thanks, Mamba!

Fox XOOPS 2.5.5, there are not many changes to the files. The only two files needed to be changed are: mainfile.php and xoopsformloader.php, as mentioned in the description of Multisite 1.40:

https://xoops.org/modules/mediawiki/index.php/Multisite_1.40

Is there any files to be changed or other works to be done since you said "you need to have advanced skills to work with it, in case you run into difficulties, as it is complex and not for an average user" (quite scaring indeed ) ?

Mamba
  • 2012/5/13 8:53

• Mamba

Quote:
Is there any files to be changed or other works to be done

I don't know, but since very few people used it, AFAIK, then if you run into problems, you might not get any response, and you'll have to solve the issues yourself.

So if you feel comfortable, give it a try, and let us know how it worked out for you. It's always good when people share their experiences.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

cadelite
  • 2012/5/13 9:06

• cadelite

• Just popping in

Thanks, Mamba!

Unfortunately, try to download Multisite from:

http://bin.chronolabs.org.au/xoops2.4_multisite_1.40.zip

===============================================
404 Not Found

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

S*rv*ge.net Clustered Webhosting running enhanced Apache Webserver

================================================

Maybe wait for few days and try again ....

Thank you very much, anyway!

Regards,

cadelite

Mamba
  • 2012/5/13 9:19

• Mamba

You can try SourceForge SVN
Support XOOPS => DONATE

cadelite
  • 2012/5/13 13:21

• cadelite

• Just popping in

Thanks, Mamba! You're so great!

Quote:
I don't know, but since very few people used it, AFAIK, then if you run into problems, you might not get any response, and you'll have to solve the issues yourself.

I think I understood why so few people use this module (as well as giving comments on it). Read the "End User License" inside docs folder inside the zip file:

"1. Ownership This software at all times remains the property of Exitstencil Press Pty. Ltd. You are allow to install it as many times as you may; to access the network that it configures. At anytime we reserve the right to charge you a Fee for it ongoing development and maintenance of it systems of business"

It is quite normal for users to avoid installing this module if they read all the files in details

No one wants to be charged without knowing when and how much to be charged after installing this module.

Further:

"4. Restrictions You agree not to modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Software."

This restricts the ability of users from modifying the source code to suit their needs.

Anyway, thank you very much for your link. It seems that a "real free" multisite functionality of XOOPS will not be foreseeable in the near future.

Thanks to all developers in this area. Hope the development team will make a Great Fortune in this Multisite module's development

Regards,

cadelite

Mamba
  • 2012/5/13 17:37

• Mamba

Quote:
I think I understood why so few people use this module (as well as giving comments on it). Read the "End User License" inside docs folder inside the zip file:

It seems like Wishcraft has made a mistake and included that wrong license (it should be GPL).

I've sent him an email, so hopefully he'll fix it soon.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits