bjuti
Re: Fmcontent new version : Test and report bugs
  • 2012/4/11 10:36

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Yup, Voltan's module is the best replacement it just need migration script to import/export from/to News and clones, SmartSection/Publisher and clones etc. It should be a standard option in Xoops... migration via XML... :)

voltan
  • 2012/4/12 4:06

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

Hello

I hope I can express my purpose correctly.

Many users use XOOPS for some Commercial websites. they need new options and Stability. we have news module. this module start in xoops 1 and if you check codes you can see Herve development this module but don't change module base. if you check oledrion module by Herve you can see correct xoops codes.

It not good idea for xoops each person start one module whit Different name and other person start other module whit other name.

Who development Smartsaction?
Who development Mastgo Publish ?
Who development News ?
Who development fmContent ?

The answer is : just one or two person. This is not correct way to development web tools. We need one module for static pages and one module for dynamic pages . Just two module and news is good name for dynamic pages module.

I work on module whit news name Because Our customers need new options in news module ( Without change name and url ). they don't want use fmcontent or module whit other name. They just want news and old news module is to Heavy and have hard code.

what is your solution for our customers? I think solution is update news module to news version and add some new option and remove old and unused options.

Please check main news module in xoops. the codes is too hard and start other module from basic is easyer to update Current module.

I don't wanted start new module but I have too do it and at this moment we use this module in our website customers whit out any change in URL and names and keep to many of main options ( some options still missing )

DCrussader

Quote:

It not good idea for xoops each person start one module whit Different name and other person start other module whit other name.

Then what's the best idea.... Banned CMS to be XOOPS, Xoosla to be XOOPS, XCL to be XOOPS, exv2 to be XOOPS. All of them are developed by different people, why not all of them uses the same name ?

SmartSection is written by Marcan (Marc Andre)
News is written by Herve Thouzard
WF-Section/Channel by Catzwolf

Quote:

The answer is : just one or two person. This is not correct way to development web tools. We need one module for static pages and one module for dynamic pages . Just two module and news is good name for dynamic pages module.

NEWS is used, forget about it! There are several other names. Check Content section here (http://extensions.joomla.org) - Are there over 300 extensions named News ?

Quote:

I don't wanted start new module....

You don't have to start new one, just change the name. How over 10,000 extensions can exists without naming conflicts, here 3 modules on cross can't ?

Call it vNews, call it VoltanNews, call it XOOPSContent, whatever, just not News!
May The Source Be With You!

bjuti
  • 2012/4/12 15:27

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

If it's a compatibile replacement for news module - that's ok.

I've downloaded latest version from SVN (8 days old) and I still can't manage url rewrite to work.

Does anyone else have this problem?

panwac
  • 2012/4/12 19:57

• panwac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/12

Quote:
Voltan wrote:
I hope I can express my purpose correctly.

Many users use XOOPS for some Commercial websites. they need new options and Stability. we have news module. this module start in xoops 1 and if you check codes you can see Herve development this module but don't change module base. if you check oledrion module by Herve you can see correct xoops codes.

Who development Smartsaction?
Who development Mastgo Publish ?
Who development News ?
Who development fmContent ?

Voltan, maybe you're right, but ...
For me (I'm not a developer - only a tester, lang translator and administrator of several Xoops sites) in CMS I can have only one module for static and dynamic content (such as fmcontent, with its solutions), but! - stable and clonable.
Other modules may be specialized - a matter of choice, as who else needs it.

I just need to:

- Stable, error-free version of the module for content/news,
- Which gives the possibility of different sort for various topics! (by date, by name, by position) - not for everything in module in the same method,
- Which gives the possibility to choose which topics and articles are shown in the menu, and which are not
- Which in testing has a name OTHER than the pre-existing, used and popular module (like news, content etc.)
- At the end, which will be cloned - for my one of the sites - couple-commercial service (it vortal Polish Equestrian Federation site - which has a very large part of the static content, broken down by sport, education, structure, competition organizers, etc. - it's very importand!

With that, I can continue my services to convince users that might want to use Open Source - because waiting for new versions of the any module it's able to me to set up sites to make them friendly. But... I need stable, errors-free version of content/news module.
When I have only the old stable versions of news modules (old Content is to poor for may services) and for a years only "betas" or "RC" new ones, it's very hard for me to discuss with my users, why we still use XOOPS.

If in addition the RC versions of modules have names the same, like used old produces, than it's difficult to help in tests.

In my opinion, it will be better to see a cooperation of our developers (eg. Trabis, mamba, Voltan) to produce (in short time) good, modern module for content =>(a great part of fmcontent is very fine, other thinks in publisher are good too).

We should imagine, that now we are living in Facebook time -there users have very simple, "stupid', but working units and they don't want to spend a time with not-friendly servises.

irmtfan
  • 2012/4/14 7:45

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

IMO the issue is as simple as extending core modules.
if we have "profile" and "pm" as core modules (released in the core package), why not have "static content" and "dynamic content" modules developed by core developers?
they could be full features include SEO standards and also i agree they must be cloneable!!!

Mamba
  • 2012/4/14 9:59

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
why not have "static content" and "dynamic content" modules developed by core developers?

That was the original ideas behind fmContent. It was going to be a simple, easy to use "content" module, so it could be included with the core.

But it has taken a little bit different direction from what we had originally in mind.

If Voltan would address the concerns shared here that this new module is compatible with the existing "News" module installations, then I think, we could still use it as a Core module.

But as everybody seems to agree here - we cannot have another module under the same name ("news"), if it is not compatible.

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2012/4/14 12:11

• Anonymous

• Since:

Talking about content modules... Are there any plans to include wysiwyg picture editing in xoops? I mean the way it works in wp, picture is shown in the editor, can be resized etc. Would this be development on xoops or on module level?

Mamba
  • 2012/4/14 14:30

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I think, it would be great to have it via a "plugin", i.e. XOOPS would provide a standard API and a standard implementation, and then developers could provide their plugins that would work with this API. This way we could have several different plugins that could be replaceable, just like modules. I hope, we'll be able to achieve it in XOOPS 2.6
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

voltan
  • 2012/4/15 14:46

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

If you think this module base is good for development and can be merge all news option on this module you must help me in development.

And one can help me in codeing? or make all needed options? and test?

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits