reifsnyderb
Re: Document Management Module

Peekay,

I am seriously considering updating this module. However, I need to determine how to allocate my time.

Since it is a module, developed for Xoops, I really don't know how the GPL applies as to whether I can change the license or not. It is my understanding that, in some cases, a GPL'd project can have the license changed as long as all of the developers agree. As I am the only developer this isn't a problem. (If memory serves, somebody else did contribute some code at one time. But, I am positive that it was eventually discarded as the project moved on. I'd have to check the documentation.) I know that I don't know if a license change, on this module, is possible due to it's interaction with Xoops. However, due to the open nature of PHP code, ease of copying code, etc., changing the license would probably be pointless anyhow.

I am thinking about doing something similar to what you suggest: A different download fee for different document limits.

Regards,

Brian

Anonymous
  • 2012/2/18 0:29

• Anonymous

• Since:

Brian: I would like to review the latest version (1.96) but can't find it anywhere. Can you point me or put it somewhere for download?

reifsnyderb

flipse,

I'll have to retrieve it from a CD-ROM and post it somewhere. I'll set aside some time this weekend to do so.

Regards,

Brian

Peekay
  • 2012/2/18 0:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Personally, I think DMS is of a quality that people would gladly pay to download, but AFAIK its interaction with the GPL-licensed Xoops will make it a derivative work, which means it automatically attains GPL status too.

You cannot change the license of the existing version of the DMS module, but there is nothing stopping you from making the new version a payable download. However, if you wanted to impose any licensing control beyond GPL (which is basically unrestricted) you would really need to turn it into a stand-alone PHP application, or redesign it to work with a non-GPL CMS.

Having said that, I have seen several commercial modules advertised here on XO and I am not aware of any being blatently re-released under a different name free of charge. I think most Xoops users understand the deal and I doubt if that kind of behaviour would go down very well.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

reifsnyderb

Peekay,

You are probably right about the interaction making it a derivative work. I don't have any problem with keeping it GPL.

Regards,

Brian

Peekay
  • 2012/2/18 13:56

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I look forward to trying it out.

These are my old posts about the module in case they are any use to you. I recall a permissions issue was a stumbling block for the way I wanted to use it.

Xoops debug should throw up any deprecated core functions. The only other thing to be mindful of is the benchmark system spec for most users will be PHP 5.3 (quite a few deprecated functions there too) MySQL 5, globals off (was often 'on' back in 2004) and safe-mode on.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Mcron
  • 2012/2/20 1:20

• Mcron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/2/9 3

I use DMS on the current Xoops. It took very little tweaking,
don't remember exactly what, but it was a simple fix with
debug turned on. Not all functions work on the admin side,
but a very functional module.

An upgrade would be great and worth supporting.

reifsnyderb

Hello,

I am planning on posting the latest version tomorrow sometime. I'll provide a link to it from here. I think I was wrong and it is version 1.95 and not 1.96. I need to find and check one more cd-rom.

Regards,

Brian

btesec
  • 2012/2/20 16:00

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

Hello reifsnyderb,

I have been using this mod version 1.91 for about two years and is still working fine under Xoops 2.4.4. One feature I couldnt get to work is to enable to document search using swish-e script to be able to search the content of documents which is quite vital these days. I have been looking at other software available. I Have created an intranet based on Xoops since 2009 and is still working.

But like most if not all Xoops mods, the maintenance or development is a major concern thus I tend not to push and apply upgrades or Xoops core and other mods, since I am afraid things will be broken up. I however keep testing before implementing and welcome new xoops development. I have also commented on this mods so if you can search xoops site you can read them and have other suggestions if you plan to continue.

reifsnyderb

Hello,

The full-text search, using swish-e, is an area that needs some serious updating. While I had it working, it took a while to run, sometimes hung up, and I had to write code to display a summary of the text that it found. (I don't remember which version I added that feature to.) I have seen better open-source options available since then.

I think you hit upon the second priority: To use a better full-text search engine.

(The first priority is to update it for the newest version of Xoops, of course.)

Upgrading to version 1.95 shouldn't be a problem as I built in an update manager that looks at the installed version and makes all of the database changes for you. One of my goals was to not have to stay after work to do updates, so I spent a lot of time working on it. If the system permissions are setup properly, you can even upload the updates into the DMS, from the web browser, and perform the entire update in under a minute.

Regards,

Brian

Quote:

btesec wrote:
Hello reifsnyderb,

I have been using this mod version 1.91 for about two years and is still working fine under Xoops 2.4.4. One feature I couldnt get to work is to enable to document search using swish-e script to be able to search the content of documents which is quite vital these days. I have been looking at other software available. I Have created an intranet based on Xoops since 2009 and is still working.

But like most if not all Xoops mods, the maintenance or development is a major concern thus I tend not to push and apply upgrades or Xoops core and other mods, since I am afraid things will be broken up. I however keep testing before implementing and welcome new xoops development. I have also commented on this mods so if you can search xoops site you can read them and have other suggestions if you plan to continue.

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits