dyraven
Help. My host changed my IP
  • 2012/1/15 5:44

• dyraven

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/10/7

My hosting company just changed my IP address and now I can't login to my site. I don't know much about IP's and have no idea how to fix this. Is this a server issue or is there something I can do within Xoops? I my be totally off base, but is this a DNS issue or is Protector blocking my access?

When I open my index page, I get the following messages at the top, above the page;

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/u7200545/free3dcontent.net/home/include/common.php on line 94

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/u7200545/free3dcontent.net/home/include/common.php on line 21

When I try to login, it brings me back to the front page without getting logged in.

This site is running Xoops version 2.3.3b

I can access my DB and set the site to be turned off. Is there something I can change inside the DB to make the site recognize my new IP?

Thanks in advance.

Mamba
Re: Help. My host changed my IP
  • 2012/1/15 6:44

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You need to go to mainfile.php and adjust the "Physical path" settings:

/home/u7200545/free3dcontent.net/home/
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

dyraven
  • 2012/1/15 15:54

• dyraven

• Just popping in

Hi Mamba. Thanks for the quick response. I will look at the mainfile.php right now.

I got a response from the service dept at my hosting site.

Quote:
I checked all your websites, but can't see any errors produced. Which website are you referring to? Please explain in details. Also, please note that we
have also upgraded PHP and MySQL to the latest versions, so you may also need
to upgrade the scripts that you are using to match MySQL 5.1 and PHP 5.3. For
compatibility and upgrades, please contact your script vendors.

Do you know what these upgrades might change?

redheadedrod

It is likely that you previously were using PHP 4.

You will need to likely upgrade your site to at a minimum Xoops 2.4.5 and preferably to the latest 2.5 version.

You will likely also need to upgrade your modules to the latest versions as well.

Do you know what modules and versions you are using?

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

dyraven
  • 2012/1/15 18:13

• dyraven

• Just popping in

Hi Red. I was using php ver 5.2.6 previously, so I don't think that is the problem. I am planning for the site to get upgraded, but wasn't quite ready yet. Still reading through the upgrade docs and doing backups.

I looked at mainfile.php and couldn't find anything that has to do with the server changing the IP. I did change;

$ENABLE_PROTECTOR = true;

to

$ENABLE_PROTECTOR = false;

And was able to login and get to the Admin area. What paths would need to be changed exactly? My server path didn't change (home/u7200545), so I am not sure this is the issue, But I could be wrong. The email from the hosting company did say "Both the OLD and the NEW IP addresses will be available for a 5 day period." as of yesterday.

Protector is currently ver 3.22. Should I update Protector and what ver would still work with Xoops 2.3.3b?

btw- One of my non-Xoops sites is also experiencing issues. I can not login to the admin section there either.

redheadedrod

You should be able to use the current version of protector which I believe is 3.41 but you need the version before the Admin framework was added. You may be able to use the current version WITH the admin framework if you install that in to your system but I am unsure about that. (You could pull this admin from the frameworks directory in the latest 2.5.4 install but like I said, I am unsure if this will work with 2.3.3)

You might be able to use the 3.5 but that is a beta version that was never followed up on.

My guess is the issue might be with some settings in your system related to moving up to the newer PHP. You should see if they changed anything in the php.ini file when they upgraded you.

As far as the multiple IP addresses. You will want them to remove the access of the old one and not have both of them active. This might be confusing xoops, or protector. It could also be messing up your cookies depending on how they are setup. My guess is that if you get the host to remove the access from the old IP, you delete your cache files and possibly your site related cookies you should be alright.

If the directory has not changed and your site name has not changed there really is nothing in the mainfile.php you need to change.

You MAY have to look through the settings for protector for any IP related settings as well as change the "Your IP" address from the preferences screen in xoops.

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

dyraven
  • 2012/1/15 20:42

• dyraven

• Just popping in

Thanks Rod.

It appears that there is indeed 'crosstalk' going on with having both IP's active. Unfortunately, since this is controlled by the hosting company, there isn't anything I can do about that. But, I think the problems may be bigger then that...

I have been researching Php version updates. There were a LOT of bugs in php ver 5.3.x but the change that seems to be effecting me (or combination of) is "set_magic_quotes_runtime()" which is no longer supported and causes a Deprecated state for any website using this feature.

There is a bug report at;
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=52221

Quote from the bug page;
"...the silent removal of a deprecated feature could break apps unexpectedly, which is bad because magic quotes has some security impact."

Modules that use magic_quotes that I found so far are;
Xoops 2.3.3b (mainfile.php)
Protector 3.22
xforum 4.12
(and all sub pages for OpenCart Version 1.4.9.3)

So, I guess it's time for the upgrade whether I was ready or not. I have read through the upgrade docs. I'm a little confused about the procedure where I would need to overwrite the system, xoops_data and xoops_lib files from the upgrade packages. Do I need to do each one from ver 2.3 through ver 2.5 or can I go straight from 2.3.3 to 2.5.4?

Does anyone know if magic_quotes are used in Xoops ver 2.5+ ?

Peekay
  • 2012/1/15 21:41

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Upgrading is probably a good idea, but you could try replacing:

set_magic_quotes_runtime(0);

with:

ini_set("magic_quotes_runtime"0);

Deprecated basically means 'gone in the next version' so that may only work until your host upgrades PHP again. You could also try changing the PHP error reporting options by adding the following to an .htaccess file.

php_value error_reporting 1

This should restrict reporting to fatal run-time errors and unrecoverable errors, but not deprecated.

If your server path is the same as before, the login issue is probably a result of a (hopefully temporary) DNS issue with the new server address.

I personally don't have a setup where I can try any of the above, so grabbing a backup of your site folders and database would be wise before messing about too much!
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

dyraven
  • 2012/1/15 22:42

• dyraven

• Just popping in

Starting my upgrade now. Thanks for the help.

Login

Who's Online

133 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 133

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits