donnybrasco
How to install the XOOPS and requirements
  • 2010/1/22 6:27

• donnybrasco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/1/20

Hi,

I have recently downloaded XOOPS 2.3. I have met all the requirements and installed PHP 4.3 and want to use IIS as my web server. It still seems like I cannot get the installation to start up. Is there no step by step installation guide besides the one that's on the site, i.e. a more depth guide to how to install XOOPS or maybe a one Click install or something that can make life really easy.

After having read all the features and about XOOPS I just thought I had found something that fits my needs totally, but my disappointment is that it is not really clear how to get it to work, Is there something I'm missing?

sailjapan
Re: How to install the XOOPS and requirements

Hi & welcome to XOOPS!

firstly, is there any particular reason you didn't download the latest version (2.4.3)?

Here are the instructions from the doc 'release_notes.txt' that comes with the download. Should be pretty much the same for 2.3.0 (don't have a copy at hand), look for the one in your download.

Quote:
Installing XOOPS
-----------------------------------
1. Copy the content of the htdocs/ folder where it can be accessed by your server
2. Ensure mainfile.php and uploads/ are writable by the web server
3. For security considerations, you are STRONGLY encouraged to move directories "/xoops_lib" (for XOOPS libraries) and "/xoops_data" (for XOOPS data) out of Document Root, and change the folder names.
4. Make the directory xoops_data/ writable; Create (if not already present) and make the directories xoops_data/caches/, xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache/, xoops_data/caches/smarty_cache/ and xoops_data/caches/smarty_compile/ writable (permission 0777 on Linux).
5. Access in your Web browser the folder where you've installed the htdocs/ files to launch the Installation wizard 6. Follow the instructions

xoopdio
  • 2011/9/27 2:57

• xoopdio

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/9/27

Hello

I reopen the thread as it seems to go on the same line : doesnt apply 777 on the 2 folders (lib and data) at the root of the home directory a security risk ?

Thank you

Mamba
  • 2011/9/27 4:12

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You should have xoops_lib and xoops_data outside of your document root. If your host doesn't allow it, it's better to find another host.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoopdio
  • 2011/9/27 7:14

• xoopdio

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/9/27

Hi Mamba (kill bill fan ?)

So no risk unless someone hacks into the system ?

Regards

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits