wishcraft
Re: If we were to start a 2.6 Branch what would you like to see.

Needs the comment.php from spiders cloud, for a feed of comments off the system, like backend.php and sitemap.php feeds.. This is to bring it inline with wordpress' RSS Comment feed.
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

mboyden
  • 2011/8/30 19:38

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Things XOOPS needs:

SEO URLs - ability to add keywords to every page; it's arguable whether or not these actually help as much as links to the page, but everyone asks for it.

xoRewriteModule - include this in the core along with a method to change the directory name through modules manage that reroutes to it (requires mod_rewrite, of course). Requires some changes to a few core files along with search page and more. Make search page run off a template.

Image Thumbnailing - a method that will auto-generate thumbnail images and call them from within content, especially the WYSIWYG editors (such as FCKeditor, my fave).

Workflow - The ability for users to have/need approvers for content. So a user's posts in any module either requires approval and/or generates notification for/to approvers. So many folks ask for this. We usually just kludge it somehow or go without and trust more.

Event History/Audit Log - for administration, able to turn on and off, archive, log-rotate, etc.

Comments notifications - all and/or by module and/or by module categories (or similar segmentation).

Blocks Anywhere - merge both (from trabis and Catzwolf) and make it more easily available for use.

XOOPSforms - modified to use templates (and specify custom templates) and specify better CSS ids and to thus allow better layout on sites on the user side (most all web folks I've done sites for don't like the generic forms appearance).

Use Templates for Everything - there are still some pages that have not been smarty'd. This includes XOOPS forms among others. We should take the HTML out of every page on the user side and use templates.

Additional smarty variables for use in templates: xoops_modid, xoops_modname, xoops_modsearch, xoops_name, among others.

XHTML 1.0 Strict CSS, although HTML 5 is coming.

Some additional site/user/module tokens for use in mailer templates.

PM allowed via settings to send via email instead of solely PM on the site, allowing admins to select one (or more) and to default to one (or more) and to allow one (or more).

I'm glad to see a focus on getting a regularized interface for administration of modules. That's what tends to confuse users who aren't techies. It will help new adopters, too.

I'm also willing to work on these and other parts as desired. Some of them I've already done for installations I use. And documentation remains a key thing that XOOPS doesn't do as well as other CMSes. But I don't find another better, realistically.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

bjuti
  • 2011/8/30 22:36

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

redheadedrod

After looking at rm commons it kind of hit me that we should look at possibly adding support for plugins in 2.6. The intention is to eventually work away from having ANYTHING built into the core. Things like the image manager, PM, Profile, comments, rankings, etc... Perhaps even things like authentication, and some other things.. Things that are light enough they don't need to be full modules. Thinks we have preloads for now plus others.. This would allow easy replacement of base stuff without having to rewrite core. Make the core lighter can't be a bad thing.

Rodney

wishcraft

Fields that are defined with INITVAR() need to have database functions specifiable.. For higher functions of mySQL and other databases..

ie:

/**
 * Class for Spiders
 * @author Simon Roberts (simon@xoops.org)
 * @copyright copyright (c) 2000-2009 XOOPS.org
 * @package kernel
 */
class HigherdbFunctions extends XoopsObject
{

function 
HigherdbFunctions($fid null)
    {

$this->initVar('baseid'XOBJ_DTYPE_INTnullfalse);

$this->initVar('cid'XOBJ_DTYPE_INTnullfalse);

$this->initVar('crypted'XOBJ_DTYPE_INTnullfalsefalsefalsefalse, array('mysql'=>array('insert'=>'AES_CRYPT("%value%", "Encryption Salt")''update'=>'AES_CRYPT("%value%", "Encryption Salt")''select'=>'AES_DECRYPT(`%field%`, "Encryption Salt")')));         

$this->initVar('md5'XOBJ_DTYPE_INTnullfalsefalsefalsefalse, array('mysql'=>array('insert'=>'MD5("%value%")''update'=>'MD5("%value%")''select' => '`%field%`')));

$this->initVar('created'XOBJ_DTYPE_INTnullfalse);

$this->initVar('actioned'XOBJ_DTYPE_INTnullfalse);

$this->initVar('updated'XOBJ_DTYPE_INTnullfalse);        
    }
}

As well as there needs to be a strapping for modules like onInstall, onUpdate and onUninstall for preference changes in system called onPreferences for when particular details like salts and other information are changed.

This is so if you are using crypt functions for example and a database and someone changes the salt in the preferences then you can patch the values in the database, the need to be passed the new preferences values with the old preference values as well so there would be a pre function as well as a post function for this the pre is passed the new values and the post is pasted the old values.
Resized Image

wishcraft

Quote:

by bjuti on 2011/8/31 9:36:53

This would be done with profile module.. I might make the changes at some point to do this.

Thanks

Simon
Resized Image

bjuti
  • 2011/8/31 18:06

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Please do... It's very nasty logging on traditional way. Idea is to make a user, but autification with captcha and fb, twitter etc.

mboyden
  • 2011/8/31 21:30

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

There is an OpenID hack floating around here that is on my list of things to try. I'm a huge fan of OpenID. That would be an excellent addition.

I also find interesting Drupal's approach where (if given permission from each end) you can login to any site based on your login at another site.

That said, I prefer the OpenID type of integration over this type, but both have the circle-of-trust concept at work.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

maxxy
  • 2011/9/2 2:12

• maxxy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/6/11

blocks show with expiry date...show on certain days etc

just like what trabis did with mytabs module..

acegamer
  • 2011/9/2 10:51

• acegamer

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/7/11

My wish list:

1) A great news module like V1.44, with a view counter..
2) Clean - SEO urls all over xoops, also in news items.. (drupal style)
3) A greater and newer comment system, with example captcha option for non-members to post a comment. (WP style)
4) Auto. Mobile website viewer for iphone, tablets and other mobile devices.
5) Integration of editors: jQuery
6) Supporting multiple database drivers
7) Supporting multiple authentication drivers, including native xoopsDB, LDAP, OpenID, etc.
8) Supporting multi-site feature
9) Supporting multiple template engines thus customized template engine (great to make different mini sites, in your site)
10) Embedded security protection against XSS and sql injection to free module developers from security concerns

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits