Mamba
Top 5 Themes for "Basic Module Pack"
  • 2011/3/19 17:41

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I would like to include 5 themes in our upcoming "XOOPS 2.5.0 Basic Module Pack"

Of course, they have to be free, and released under GPL, and hopefully they will be very easy to use --> remember, this "XOOPS 2.5.0 Basic Module Pack" is meant mainly for first-time users of XOOPS.

The process:

- community recommends themes (till March 28)
- we make a list of top themes
- community votes on Top 10 themes (March 29 - April 3)

So which of the XOOPS themes would you recommend? (you can check out our theme repository)
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Burning
Re: Top 5 Themes for "Basic Module Pack"
  • 2011/3/19 22:08

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi

If the main criteria is "they will be very easy to use", I'm afraid we can't reach to five

More seriously I mean a theme is one thing and module template is another, totally different...

To be easy to use (= ready to use, it is the same ?), we need themes with a complete stylesheet, suitable with modules templates. So we should check if style.css contains :
• .odd {...}
• .even {...}
• .outer {...}
• etc ...

--> request to Mamba : when you will have 2 free minutes, could you intall xoops-style module onhttp://themes.xoops.org/ ? It would be more easy to check good themes :)

I believe these designers are talentued and took time to create complete themes :
1 • algalochkin
2 • aphex
3 • Bit3CR0
4 • bleekk
5 • insraq
6 • kris_fr
7 • mariane
(I can't remember others...)

If another criteria to select five themes is the ease to customize, we should consider that some are made with morphogenesis layout : 1, 6 and 7. In my opinion it would be a good idea to include one morphogenesis theme (at least).

A last thing to make a good selection : theme gallery is not really up to date (I do not remember who is supposed to update ... but it is surely an idler )
Still learning CSS and... english

deepak267
  • 2011/3/20 11:48

• deepak267

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/8/15

having 5 default theme is definitely a good idea, at least the beginners can can have a jump start.

I have noticed most of themes need some minor fix for google chrome, sometime it's very frustrating for those who just want to evaluate Xoops. I think, the selection criteria should include the browser compatibility with most popular browser.

I hope the final themes will be tested (and fixed if required) before added them to default package.

Deepak
A member of www.AquariumHomeCare.com

Bleekk
  • 2011/3/20 12:17

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/12/14

yesterday I have fixed one bug in my framework-starndard theme.
I think the framework is a good start point for users that do not know much about themes.

on the bleekk-tools site you can play with the css and the theme calculator helps if you change columns width.

Mamba
  • 2011/3/20 12:57

• Mamba

Quote:
I hope the final themes will be tested (and fixed if required) before added them to default package.

I would hope that the whole community would help us to test the selected ones

The same as we need help right now with the modules we're working on
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mamba
  • 2011/3/30 3:10

• Mamba

Well, we didn't get any recommendations from the community, so it seems like there is not much interest in having a "Basic Theme Pack" for XOOPS first-time users.

Therefore, let's move on to other things....
Support XOOPS => DONATE

zyspec
  • 2011/4/7 3:04

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

As a module developer (aka a html hack) it would be REALLY USEFUL if there were a minimum set of CSS classes, ids, etc. documented that I could count on using when modifying module templates. Obviously a module specific css file could 'add' to a minimum set but if there were a 'predefined' set it would at least let us generate modules that have a more consistent look/feel with less overall work...

Especially since the theme designers are much better at defining CSS classes, etc. than I am - trust me.

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits