PwrTrip
import data into website
  • 2011/3/20 3:36

• PwrTrip

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/3/5 3

i'm pretty sure this isnt going to be easy for me but im going to give it a shot.

so i have a site that i started for a friend for his RC car club. so far i have kinda a standard xoops site with forums, gallery, news, stats, membership and imenu. This is my second attempt at building a xoops site. I have also been trying to learn how to modify files in the themes and modules. I'm not doing to bad...at least the site hasnt blown up yet. i'm pretty happy with it so far.
So now that i have the basics up i would like to add something that i dont think theres a module for.

the RC club im doing this for is going to be hosting races every sunday all summer. they're going to be using a system that tracks the cars racing everytime they cross the finish line. Its an AMB transponder scoring system and i think it uses a mysql to store the info.

So heres a list of random ideas of what i want to be able to do:
import weekly race data into a useful chart to display race results.
sortable columns for place finished, fastes lap, races raced.
different classes for different vehicles.
view by race or racers
ranking for the season

i know its alot for someone who doesnt know how to do it but where would be a good place to start?

phppp
Re: import data into website
  • 2011/3/20 5:50

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

It is kinda a regular module with data manipulation.
I am afraid there is not an out-of-box module, you need write one.

Mamba
  • 2011/3/20 13:30

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You might take a look at some of the "sports" modules and see if you could modify them to your needs, or at least finds some pieces that you could reuse in you module if you will create one.

I know that redheadedrod was working on baseball or football module, so he might be able to help you as well.

Some of the existing "sport" modules:

TPLStats
CricketStats
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

PwrTrip
  • 2011/3/20 14:18

• PwrTrip

• Just popping in

thanks,
I started so far with looking at the membership module.
theres so much i have to learn. i dont now how to read most of the code yet. my limits of knowledge have basically been looking at my website then looking in files until i find some text thats visable on my site. then i change it to show different pictures or rearrange things.
but quearing from the database i havent figured out yet.
looks like its the items with $ but they dont directly corilate to the tables i see in myphpadmin.
so one thing im trying to figure out right now is how to display something from the database from scratch. it doenst seem like i can just mess with html files i have been messing with to edit theme stuff. i guess the php files have the info about where to get the data from the databases. i dont think searching directories for text looks inside phps which has been making it harder for me to find the linkning objects.

thank again for replying, im new here but you'll probably see more of me.
is it ok to post a link to my website here? i'm worried that with all the screwing with files i did that i might get someone upset that i messed with there theme or module.

phppp
  • 2011/3/20 14:35

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

"is it ok to post a link to my website here?"

Usually I don't think anybody has objection.

redheadedrod

While looking for sports schedule modules I did see one that was setup for I believe it was go-carts which would be very similar to what you are looking for. I don't believe it was on this system however and was a xoops compatible module posted on the site of a xoops fork.

I can't recall exactly where it was but I can PM you the name of the site I think I saw it at if you are interested. The module SHOULD work fine with Xoops although I am unsure if it will work with the latest 2.5 versions.

Rodney

PwrTrip
  • 2011/3/20 20:21

• PwrTrip

• Just popping in

cool thanks for help. the go cart thing might be good. i think the amb system for rc cars is used for go carts too.

redheadedrod

check your pm's

PwrTrip
  • 2011/3/27 19:53

• PwrTrip

• Just popping in

thanks, i took a break for a couple days, i'm going to be working on it more this week.
thanks alot

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits