TobiB
Installation help
  • 2010/12/5 1:50

• TobiB

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/12/5

I am new to XOOPS so I do not know what went wrong.

I downloaded the latest version 2.5 and installed the files according to the Installation PDF. I set all the permissions after verifying the install with the checksum.php. I deleted the checksum files, moved the 2 xoops folders to the root level, along side public_html, and began the installation.

Th installation would not proceed beyond the first screen. I clicked the "Next" button several times and each time the browser behaved as if something was happening but I did not go any further, no error message, no error in the Error Log.

No "extra" files were uploaded, no additional language files or modules, just the bare installation files.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong or what I now need to do will be appreciated.

TY

Mamba
Re: Installation help
  • 2010/12/5 2:02

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Welcome to XOOPS!

What PHP version are you using? What server? Apache?

This is really strange!

Try to move the files /xoops_lib and /xoops_data back to the original location, run file check again and try to install again

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

TobiB
  • 2010/12/5 13:51

• TobiB

• Just popping in

I followed your advice and was able to get to the database connection page but there is no place to enter my database name.

My database name is of the form "loginname_databasename" and so is my username.

I tried creating a database named "loginname_xoops" but it was not recognized. I have multiple databases in my hosting account so I can't understand how the installation program can identify the correct database.

ghia
  • 2010/12/5 16:47

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

the database connection page has nothing to do with the database, but with the database server, which is mosttimes located on the same server as where your files were placed to.
First entry is database type, MySQL.
Then it needs the server IP address or mosttimes localhost will do. And then the database user and password that has access to the database server.
In the Database configuration screen, the database name can be entered. This is an existing database or when not, it will be created (if this is allowed by your hoster).
When you have to create a database manualy by your site admin panel, make sure the user is associaterd with the database and has granted the necessary rights for creating tables etc.

TobiB
  • 2010/12/5 18:09

• TobiB

• Just popping in

THANK YOU!

This certainly is a departure from any other database installation I have done in the past (and I have done dozens)!

Anyway, installation completed without any further problems.

I moved the 2 xoops folders to the uppermost level, next to the public_html folder and edited the mainfile.php to reflect that location.

Thanks for the help. I can see that this forum is going to be a GREAT resource for me. I just hope I don't get banned for asking too many questions!

Nick_James

Sorry to hear about your problems.

The installation usually goes much smoother than your experience has been.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits