webowner
Need Help Setting Xoops Up
  • 2010/11/19 2:38

• webowner

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/11/18

Hi All,
I own and operate a web business and love xoops. I am now trying to set up modules etc for my client.

Can someone please respond and let me know the following:
This is what I need to do: Create a administrators/members area for a church. Key people in the parish want to edit parish lists, rosts (who served coffee on sunday, taught sunday school etc.), edit groups + members. Add/upload documents, etc.

2 websites will be built - a Public site created with Wordpress, and an admin/member site created with Xoops.

With Xoops - I need to know the following:

1) Can data in a .csv format (or another format ?) be imported into Xoops ? - How ? Will it automatically go into the right sections (i.e. parish lists, groups, users)?

2) I will be using Xoops for church management - parish lists, users, groups, documents = administrators (key people in parish) need to be able to edit lists, users, groups, etc.
What exact modules do I need ? Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Need this responded to asap please + Thank you so much. A wonderful group of people and a LOVE Xoops.

webowner
Re: Need Help Setting Xoops Up
  • 2010/11/19 23:10

• webowner

• Not too shy to talk

Have broken questions contained in this post into two separate posts. Need help please + Thank you URGENTLY,

jcweb
  • 2010/11/20 0:14

• jcweb

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/25

Hi
I answer here to all of your topics and questions, beacuse my meaning is, you should first to answer some question for the other xoopser they will and or can help you.

1. You should say where you from. If a another xoops user from your area (dont post your address or phone number), you can contact them with a phone call. It´s easier to talk over these things.

2. It seems you need not only help, you need more experience with xoops, yes or no (so i dont know)?

3. How many users? Need every parish people need a user account?

4. Will you publish information, only members have access?

I find some more questions you have to solve in front of your project.

xxxxxxxxx

To your questions:
No1: IMHO its not possible if you mean you will registrate user with a bulk upload of a csv list. One reason, you must crypt the password in a md5 string. If its possible to do this over a mysql dump i dont know. The question is, your parish, did they have a server with an LDAP Connection (Active Directory)? Did the parish people have a mailaddress (like your domain) or did they use different email providers? If you give a mail address from your domain, you can connect your xoops installation with LDAP as an example. The group handling you must do IMHO manual. In this case (LDAP connection) they can not change their own password over xoops (admins can do doit if they are outside the LDAP), to change a password, the server admin must do this. Here´s the question with the user profile, what kind of information do you need in their profile?

No2: If your question No1 means the user and registration handling, the admin (or admins) can edit users and move them to another and or different groups. If you only will show a member list, there you have many options to do this, with or without a module.

I will say, not all is a technical question, you must organize and find a strategy first what do you need and what can xoops.

Greetings Andy

webowner
  • 2010/11/20 2:15

• webowner

• Not too shy to talk

Wow jcweb - thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate this.

I'm in Canada and own a web business. I am somewhat familiar with Xoops and it looks excellent, can't wait to 'get into it some more'.

As to church management and my client, they currently have an old 12 year old system.

Your #2 sounds the way to go and exactly what they want to do.

a) a parish list containing name of parishioner, address, email, contact details, children, etc.

then we need to specify which group they belong to (i.e. Sunday School, Coffee Hosts, etc.)

Ideally the administrators would like to edit, delete and change this information contained inthe parish list

What is the best way to display this ? By Module - or no module ?

b) Parish Rosta - meaning a list containing names of people who will serve coffee on sunday, do a reading, etc. Maybe 4 or 5 columns but many rows for the peoples names.

Administrators want to edit,delete,change this information

c) A note pad or comment box next to each parishioner. The Rector wants a way to add comments next to each person, so he can specify he visited them, they like coming to church, have kids in sunday school etc.

What is the best way to make this available to an administrator ?

d) Importing of data - what I have, and only have is a .csv list of 10 year old data. Is there any way to import this into Xoops ?

e) email connection for users / administrators is not needed.

Any one with any suggestions - this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you soooo much.. .An URGENT request.

wishcraft

Quote:

webowner wrote:

a) a parish list containing name of parishioner, address, email, contact details, children, etc.

then we need to specify which group they belong to (i.e. Sunday School, Coffee Hosts, etc.)

Ideally the administrators would like to edit, delete and change this information contained inthe parish list

What is the best way to display this ? By Module - or no module ?

You will be able to do this with the existing module called profile but you will need to create all the fields for it and have display permissibleness that is the way and who to you want it displayed.. I can write you a script which is a php file that imports your CSV, you will not be able to do this without any programming, i do programming professionally so there is a fee. You will also need to generate and record back in the CSV a random password and username based on the existing data so you can give people a log in.

Quote:

b) Parish Rosta - meaning a list containing names of people who will serve coffee on sunday, do a reading, etc. Maybe 4 or 5 columns but many rows for the peoples names.

Administrators want to edit,delete,change this information

This would be a relative easy module to write, I write modules professionally, and i have to payment schemes and offer discounts to churches and not for profits.

Mind you I am a carded atheist after years of Christian bombardment from my family.

Quote:

c) A note pad or comment box next to each parishioner. The Rector wants a way to add comments next to each person, so he can specify he visited them, they like coming to church, have kids in sunday school etc.

There is a hack I know of for profile module that allows you to have a comment on a username. This would displayed to everyone, seeming there are no secrets in a parish i don't think this is a problem, it will allow other users to display and comment as well.. This is moderatable.
What is the best way to make this available to an administrator ?

Quote:

d) Importing of data - what I have, and only have is a .csv list of 10 year old data. Is there any way to import this into Xoops ?

See above.
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

jcweb
  • 2010/11/20 13:44

• jcweb

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/25

Okee dokee
So i think with the information from wishcraft and your answer, you are one step forward.

I will give you some information, what you must think about ... the soft skills of the user. For a list as you need or the parish need, my meaning is, they need a simply html page they can fill out, change or edit first on their local system (pc) and when ready, they can simply upload and overwrite the file (ftp as an example). You make a simply html page with a table structure, ex.:

First Name, Last Name, Street, Number, City, Group, Description or Comment

The parish administration can now fill this form and as before, upload the file - finished. For that you can use the simple but real innovative modul from trabis, called Dummy Module. Here you can, ex. link the html page in a frame. You can use more than one html page and order the people in groups etc. as you want. You create a own block for the navigation and link there the html pages. The advantage, if there´s something goes wrong, it will not harms the xoops installation, because the dummy module need no connection to the database. You connect the style with import the theme css files, thats it! If you are intereted, let me know, i can send you an example. Another advantage. When different people handle such lists, you can simply change the module name and install the more or less the same module more than one time. With a specific ftp user account you give access only to that one folder.

I mean its simple and safe and very easy to handle.

Greetings Andy

webowner
  • 2010/11/20 19:56

• webowner

• Not too shy to talk

Hi JcWeb,

I have just sent you a PM. Hope you receive it. Yes please send me an example.
Best regards.

webowner
  • 2010/11/24 22:56

• webowner

• Not too shy to talk

Hi JCweb, have sent you an email - did you get it ?

webowner
  • 2010/11/28 5:18

• webowner

• Not too shy to talk

<Can be closed>

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits