Wonderfish1
Re: Restricting cache size

I managed to get 1.4 installed, but it hasn't helped.

I created an invisible block, but I can't work out how to make it do anything. I can't delete that block, but have to deactivate the module.

I still have the 2 unwanted modules.

Sigh.

UPDATE - some progress...

It appears that the Do It Now button is clearing the cache at the right place. I had a look at the code and I think I can see where it is getting the cache location from, so I am good with this.

I assume also that all you need to do is set up an invisible block on a page somewhere in the site for the events specified in the preferences to take place by magic. I am also ok with that.

I burnt my bolognese sauce while I was messing around with the module. I think I can fix that.

Does anyone know how to kill the 2 misinstalled modules (called Module for File Not Found)

Thanks,
Tim

Wonderfish1

I appear to have managed to uninstall the renegade "Fiole not Found" modules by deleting the tables direct from the database using PhpMyAdmin.

I really hope I didn't damage anything.

If XoopsCare works the way I have speculated that it does in previous posts, then I guess this is solved. Badly, piecemeal and by workarounds, but solved. Deleting your cache contents periodically is a very different concept to deleting the oldest cache items to maintain a given cache size.

ghia
  • 2010/8/28 11:00

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
Deleting your cache contents periodically is a very different concept to deleting the oldest cache items to maintain a given cache size.
Most optimum should be to delete the files with a low usage (requests / time period). But that requires some usage statistics on the cache, mosttimes invalidating the time / processing benefit of caching.

In principle the cache needed for a certain site should be finite (altough it could be large) and not grow endless. Investigation on what is happening on your site is required to make further conclusions.

Wonderfish1

Unfortunately it isn't just my site. From Mamba:

Quote:
Sometimes on my installations (and I didn't figure out why), XOOPS doesn't delete the files in the cache, i.e. the number of files is growing and growing, eating more and more space.

Others appear to have the same problem. I don't think that earlier Xoops versions had endlessly growing caches.

ghia
  • 2010/8/28 12:25

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

OK suppose there is a flaw. Then there must be some unnecessary duplicating.
Could you see which things are duplicated?
Are they from a particular module, block ..?
Do you use URL rewriting?
Can you see some patterns when you sort to names, dates or size etc?

trabis
  • 2011/8/24 21:34

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Problem was with long file names. If generated file names were to big, the cache would not work and files would be generated hit after hit with random names, ie: xHjlkm3.tmp. Some sites could experience more problems then others, ie: sites with long urls.

The result was big Xoops Cache directory and your cached modules were not actually being cached.

This is now fixed on SVN.

Mamba
  • 2011/8/24 23:27

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Trabis, that's awesome!

This bug was the most annoying to me for the last couple of years, as I had to manually delete sometimes thousands of files on some of my Websites...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits