Mamba
Re: Repeated module incompatibility with xoops upgrades
  • 2010/8/18 20:09

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Personally I think some major changes to the Module Repository module and the way it is done will resolve some of the issues that have been mentioned here. That is a major undertaking and at this time as far as I know there is no one actually working on making any changes.

Not correct!

1) Burning did a great job with putting this XOOPS Resource Book, listing available modules, what XOOPS version they are working on

2) I've consolidated all available modules on SourceForge

3) I am updating the links in the Module Repository, so they link correctly to the modules in SourceForge (currently some links are broken). I am currently at letter "I"

4) Once this is done, I'll update the XOOPS versions on which the modules work, based on the XOOPS Resource Book

But since I'm only one person, this is taking time!

People can help by updating the list of modules on XOOPS Wiki, by using this template
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

BeautyBrains

Guys I had 2.3 and was told to upgrade (search and you'll see), and also I tested all mods on my test site first; 99% of my probs came from upgrading xoops not installing modules.

Mazarin
It would be great is the big guy asked himself, "Why is it that Mazarin could install all the recommended mods and install all the updates with no problems and yet BeautyBrains has chaos and mayhem? Hmmm.... if we just could REPLICATE Mazarin's situation and PREVENT the issues of BeautyBrains, we might be on to something...

Peekay
...ahhh yes, 2.3, "good times!"

Mamba
Please consider my points mentioned earlier in doing your corrections... "there is no benefit in correcting a link to an outdated module; remove the mod all together from the xoops site.

Guys, thank you for your opinions and suggestions; it is very much appreciated; I will do as suggested; be patient and in the meantime touch nothing! I am just going to focus on fixing the mods that are giving me probs by posting on here as per usual until remedied AND I will ignore the cpanel prompts to update my xoops.

Now if you don't mind, I must now go and complain to godaddy about their constant server errors that prevents me from getting on my xoops site so I can fix it! (wink)

Thanks again guys
-T
A man without history is like a tree without roots. Marcus Garvey (1917)http://CaribbeanAncestry.comhttp://JamaicaGenealogy.comhttp://thephilosophizers.com Teach what you know and learn what you don't; stay open to all. 24/7

Mamba
  • 2010/8/18 22:43

• Mamba

Quote:
It would be great is the big guy asked himself, "Why is it that Mazarin could install all the recommended mods and install all the updates with no problems and yet BeautyBrains has chaos and mayhem? Hmmm.... if we just could REPLICATE Mazarin's situation and PREVENT the issues of BeautyBrains, we might be on to something...

Sometimes it's the question of having the right server.
I've been thinking about having a VPS for my own Websites for a long time, and was looking at different vendors, incl. Surpass Hosting VPS. We've been using Surpsass Hosting for XOOPS for over 4 years and they have provided a top notch service to us
So last week when I saw that they lowered their price from $55/month to $40/month, I've decided to finally get one. One of the reasons for going with Surpass (besides the good price), was my experience with their excellent support. Plus, the VPS from them is a managed VPS, i.e. they will make sure that things run properly there and help, if needed.

So over weekend I transferred 8 Websites to my new VPS. All of them were running perfectly after the transfer, even if some of them were hosted on PHP4 on the previous servers. Now all of them are on XOOPS 2.4.5, with PHP 5.2.13 and mySQL Version 5.0.91.

I can point to hundreds of postings here where users are saying that XOOPS is not working, only later coming back and telling us that it was a server issue.

BTW - I use the standard modules like News 1.66, CBB 3.08, piCal, etc. and so far all of them are working fine. There might be some issues later, but so far so good...

And the same is here on XOOPS - before we release a final version, we install it here on XOOPS to make sure that there no surprises. Again - we use the standard modules: News, CBB, extGallery, wf-downloads.

Quote:
Mamba
Please consider my points mentioned earlier in doing your corrections... "there is no benefit in correcting a link to an outdated module; remove the mod all together from the xoops site.

There is a benefit, because somebody might need that particular functionality, and update it to Blue Move
But we need to better indicate the version that the particular module is running on, so users are aware of potential issue.

And here is where the community comes in - we need your help in testing modules and updating the compatibility list. Can you help? I'm sorry but Burning or I can not do it all alone.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

BeautyBrains

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." Did you not you feel the closure in my last response Mamba? LMAO

Surpass has surpassed my budget... my users now have to share the cost of running the site and those prices although reasonable are not in the budget right now; I need godaddy prices and Surpass quality if that even exists; clearly I am fast asleep with that one.

XOOPS 2.4.4, with PHP 5.2.13 and mySQL Version 5.0.91. is what I have now, I'm not touching 2.4.5. ...funny when I complained to godday about all the problems I was having they said it was a xoops issue.

Yes please indicate the version compatibility, they do that on the wordpress site; when I see a plugin that isn't on the same level as my wordpres version I automatically keep searching for another plugin that has the features I am looking for; THESE are the types of the changes that I am speaking of that needs to be but in place here on xoops; little changes make for happy users.

Now in terms of helping to update the mod list, by compatible what do you mean becasue if you are on the letter L, how do you explain that in CBB the welcome forum page does not work? I needed that feature! I left xforum because CBB was supposed to be compatible...

For me compatible means every single function in module works with whatever version of xoops I am referencing; nothing less.
A man without history is like a tree without roots. Marcus Garvey (1917)http://CaribbeanAncestry.comhttp://JamaicaGenealogy.comhttp://thephilosophizers.com Teach what you know and learn what you don't; stay open to all. 24/7

Peekay
  • 2010/8/19 0:21

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
Plus, the VPS from them is a managed VPS, i.e. they will make sure that things run properly there and help, if needed.

A VPS is very flexible, but you might want to ask your host if they will upgrade the server to PHP 7 and MySQL 8 for you at some time in the future?.

If you only have one website or one PC, upgrading PHP and MySQL is a doddle and changing host is easy.

However, if you have lots of sites and your VPS host doesn't offer a migration service, the only upgrade path is to pay for a new server to run in tandem and to transfer every domain, database and mail account one by one. This is so expensive it's just not worth it, especially if everything works perfectly using the current versions. So PHP 4 isn't supported anymore, who cares? it's not a critical issue balanced against the cost of upgrading.

The only alternative is to find someone sufficiently skilled in UNIX shell commands that will guarantee to keep PHP, MySQL, QMail and Plesk (etc.) all running smoothly during the upgrade. I have tried to find a server tech with the bottle do do that and I haven't found one to date!.

I would definitely quiz Surpass about that point, or you'll wind up bitter and twisted like me

A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

redheadedrod

Quote:

Quote:
Personally I think some major changes to the Module Repository module and the way it is done will resolve some of the issues that have been mentioned here. That is a major undertaking and at this time as far as I know there is no one actually working on making any changes.

Not correct!

Sorry Mamba, I know you are upgrading the links and the resource book. Didn't mean to say nothing was going on period.

I am thinking more along the lines of changes need to be made to the software that handles the repository to support more things then it does now. It is probably 90% the way where it could be. There are some changes that COULD be made to it to make it much easier for people to find things.

But perhaps I should have held my tongue on that for now until someone actually is able to do something with it.

Rodney

Mamba
  • 2010/8/19 6:51

• Mamba

Quote:
I would definitely quiz Surpass about that point, or you'll wind up bitter and twisted like me

He he he - that was one of the questions I asked them - since it's managed by them, they would install for me a new version of PHP. I didn't ask for MySQL, but I am pretty sure that it would be the same.

I had a VPS on another host as a trial, but they told me that everything is my responsibility, so that was the reason why I left and was looking for a "managed VPS". So far I am very happy with the solution!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Peekay
  • 2010/8/19 13:54

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
I will ignore the cpanel prompts to update my xoops.

I haven't seen that. When was that introduced? I trust you can disable those promts?.

For commercial web designers who build sites for clients with Xoops it's a really bad idea.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Mamba
  • 2010/8/19 15:30

• Mamba

Quote:
I will ignore the cpanel prompts to update my xoops.

???

I've never seen those! Can you give us some more details? When and how are those prompts showing up?
Support XOOPS => DONATE

ghia
  • 2010/8/19 15:43

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

They are from cPanel, they have nothing to do with XOOPS, but with the Fantastico installer, where their XOOPS was installed by in the beginning.
People who FTP'ed their site themselves will never have a warning of that kind.

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits