insraq
What do you use as main Article module?
  • 2010/7/27 3:34

• insraq

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/24

There are many modules for managing articles. As I try to integrated the module templates with Inspire series theme, I could not find a suitable module!

Many of them are depreciated. Some of them does not support article image.

Article 2.0 RC: It is working, but full of minor bugs.

Publisher 1.0 Alpha: Article images function does not work correctly. (I'm using XOOPS 2.4.5)

Resized Image

News: Working on it. I just wonder how could this module be so large in size.

Anybody has ideas as to what article module do you usually use? are you satisfy with it?
hi,insraq!:http://insraq.me
To contact me, please fill in this form:http://insraq.me/compose/
(Please do not use PM, as I might not check my inbox for months)

Mamba
Re: What do you use as main Article module?
  • 2010/7/27 5:43

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

1) I love Article for its multi-category, but it is not visually appealing, and sometimes very confusing

2) I looked very briefly at Publisher, but I'm not a big fan of the tree interface. I might look it again later

3) You might try xNews, which is quickly developing as a nice replacement for News, and I think, it's smaller.

4) Another good candidate is AMS

5) And another yet - is the Mastop Publish, but I didn't use it.

6) I think, Eduardo is cooking something up with his MyWords module

So there are the choices that I am aware from top of my head. What did I forget?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

voltan
  • 2010/7/27 6:01

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

This is a big xoops problem !!! we have to many module for any thing but all of them is not-up-to-date and don't have all needed options and old !

last news version public in : 2010/1/24
last article version public in : 2008/10/12
last smartsaction : 2008/7/05

if you search you can find to many module based one of them but all modules development for some month and after that stop development !!!!

my idea :
First xoops module team must select one module for articles ( and other modules for other works ) and development it Always
After that other persons can select it for ant thing !

you select one of the modules ! are you sure after you finish your work this module work for you ?
or one person public a new module for use in some months ?
I use all of the modules and always I have to many problems and bugs !

insraq
  • 2010/7/27 7:31

• insraq

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/24

Agree. It is a big problem. As a CMS, the content management function is definitely the most important of all.
hi,insraq!:http://insraq.me
To contact me, please fill in this form:http://insraq.me/compose/
(Please do not use PM, as I might not check my inbox for months)

nmshah
  • 2010/7/27 8:21

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

I have used publisher on a couple of sites. I know its alpha but I really think if publisher is developed further it has all the features required to maybe accomplish everything that an article module can + more.

It is clonable, has all the options to be used as an article module, news module and also some options can be disabled in preferences / permissions to effectively use it as a simple content module. The only limitation is that it does not have a dynamic menu block which is a must for any static content module.

The only problem is that development of this module seems to have been halted for some reasons.

Mamba
  • 2010/7/27 9:51

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

From all the modules listed, the only one that currently is actively developed is xNews. AMS, as far as I know, is taking a break, as well as Publisher.

So let's talk to dnprossi in creating a xNews team to help him, and how many people would like to join. The goal would be to bring xNews to Web 2.0/3.0 age, while streamlining/refactoring its functionality, incl. cool templates, that would enable magazine-like features.

Who would be interested to join?

Of course, as AMS and Publisher become active again, we could help there as well.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

voltan
  • 2010/7/27 10:24

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

I can help in templates design

bjuti
  • 2010/7/28 7:51

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

It depends on what content you want to use.

xNews (News) module is really nice for news, and small content issues. But there are some problems with category sorting etc.

Publisher (smartsection) is still in alpha, but I like it a lot, and with some features added it gonna rule.

MyWords is simple but promising. Still in developement (like most of xoops modules) but it's depended of really great RMCommon framework, so we still gotta wait and see what are the future plans for it. :)

dnprossi
  • 2010/7/30 9:19

• dnprossi

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/3/15

Any one wanting to help in xNews devp. is welcome just let me know.

It is a xoops module and in my opinion it should be in the xoops svn.

I have always liked the News module more than others because of its simplicity and to my understanding a large chunk of other modules were born from it. I made news clonable so my clients could have same interface for different needs. News, Links, Blog etc out of one. and it worked out well.

I have cleaned up the code as well as I could to accept cloning capabilities and added many functions. Many more are needed and will come.

For those that dont like the change of name to xNews this was not a choice but a need cause I never had answers to my mails from news devps so I had to go on with my own project having to find a name that did not overwrite the news folder.

Now, if the news module is not beeing developed anylonger we could call it news module again with a few changes to code and put it in xoops svn.... opinions?????

As I want to close down the actual version I decided to create an external module for import functionality and will remove the button in xnews. The import module is in alpha version and now only imports from original news and xnews clone but intention is to import from all other article modules. Will add the import functionality to the module in next version if necessary.

I will update version to final in the next couple of days together with xnewsimport 0.10 alpha.

Burning
  • 2010/7/30 11:15

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

Quote:
if the news module is not beeing developed anylonger

yes, nobody except you take care about this great module. If I'm not wrong the last update has been made by Trabis, it was a minor update (about wysiwyg editors compatibility, version 1.66)

It would be nice to rename xnews --> news. And it would be wonderful if you enchance this classic module :) !
Still learning CSS and... english

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits