RealMcCoy
Is Xoops for me? Your advice sought
  • 2010/7/22 9:20

• RealMcCoy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/22

Hi Folks,
I am going to be putting together a website which will consist (mainly) of stories relating to a specific general topic. In order to attract readers (and hopefully, advertisers), I would like to allow people to submit their own stories, which would then be reviewed by myself or a select few "editors" before being published on the site. Ideally, I'd like to allow submitters to also attach a pic or two (to go with their stories), and allow readers to rate stories and possibly even to discuss them.

One of the main things I want to do with the stories is to allow submitters (and editors, for that matter) to attach one or more "tags" which categorize them (like "funny", "uplifting", "inspirational", etc.). Visitors to the site would then be able to click on one of these tags to find those stories.

I might also want to include a news module, which linked to stories about the general topic, and a couple of modules allowing for ads.

Now, my questions are these:
Having worked as a PHP developer in a past life, I could probably build a website which does all of these things, but I've got a life, so I'm actually hoping to find something that will cover much of this (and be easily edited to provide whatever else I need). Do you think that Xoops would fit the bill?

thanks in advance...

Mamba
Re: Is Xoops for me? Your advice sought
  • 2010/7/22 9:24

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Yes, this can be done easily with XOOPS.

There are several "news" modules that can do it (e.g. we have news module on this site - see it here in action)

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

RealMcCoy
  • 2010/7/22 9:33

• RealMcCoy

• Just popping in

Thanks for your quick reply, Mamba. I'm not really looking to build a "news" site - what I'd like to do is to have a website which has "stories" - not news stories, but personal stories. So I'd like to allow people to submit their own stories, with their own pics. The news module would just be a small section of the site, and not the main part.

Mamba
  • 2010/7/22 9:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

But people are submitting their "news" as well.

On XOOPS every user can submit a story (news), incl. pictures. The moderator can edit submission and decide to publish it or not.

If this is still not that, show me an example of a Website that does what you're looking for, and we can tell you more.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

RealMcCoy
  • 2010/7/22 10:04

• RealMcCoy

• Just popping in

Well, this isn't the topic that I'm going to be doing (at all!), but this website has a lot of the capabilities that I want:http://www.lovestory.com.au/

noo-b
  • 2010/7/22 11:16

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

you can try publisher module by trabis

http://www.xuups.com/modules/publisher/category.php?categoryid=7

i have the same rqirment like you
in one of my site recently

and publisher does it all

:)
I Love Xoops

RealMcCoy
  • 2010/7/24 3:42

• RealMcCoy

• Just popping in

Thanks noo-b! I have been looking around, but unable to actually find a site listed as using this module. It's a little hard to know what is possible without seeing it in action - would you have a link to a site which is using this module? Sorry to be a pain - I just don't have a lot of time to download/install/test different modules, so it would really be helpful to be able to see something that is already up and running...

thanks again!
RM

linux-ws
  • 2010/7/24 5:14

• linux-ws

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/20

Reply to: RealMcCoy

After I have tried phpNuke before, then I kept searching for the best CMS (content management) php system, then I stumbled upon XOOPS, I knew I would need to use it later on, but I was afraid it may or will be impossible for me to use. That was about year or so ago. Therefore, my website making skills and understanding are much higher now (in general terms how to make a basic website, not php programming, even though I do understand how some php code works, I cannot actually program "any" of my own php code - I mainly use a website designer program - such as MS Frontpage, and where needed, I adjust the website, using HTML code add-ons, etc.).

Then about 2 days ago, after many waster months trying to make my own basic e-commerce website (mainly store, and some other stuff), I failed, because I could not make my own template to use, was afraid to make it correctly, did not know what to put on the website home page, etc. I also tried using and searching for many different very good templates online, but none of them worked, because I was trying to use a DHTML menu on my website, which did not make my website look too good, because for that to work, I would have to make my own template and website drop down menu from scratch for them to fit together, or else, it's useless, because it would look very bad.

Then after I decided which parts I want to use in my website, I then decided that I might as well try XOOPS, because I have no other way to succeed with making my own website template to use for my website.

After about 2 days of asking people help on the XOOPS forum, and by personally looking around everywhere in XOOPS 2.4.5, I feel like I can easily do everything with XOOPS, and now I won't have nightmares, trying to figure out how to correctly make my own website template, to make my website look the way I want it to look.

What I mean is: You do not have to be an advanced user to learn and be able to use XOOPS content management on your website. You just need to know what you want from your website, what parts you want to put on your website - mainly website planning, then with XOOPS, some trial and error (not alot, just some... - it depends, everyone is different), you shall succeed with using XOOPS on your website.

Personally, I can't wait for the next latest XOOPS version to come out, since I heard you can easily use the blocks feature on your XOOPS website, and move stuff around, which would make a lot of things on my current website much easier.

Do not give up, and keep trying, soon XOOPS is going to be second nature to you. :)

Also, I especially like how everyone on the XOOPS forums are very nice and respect you. That makes me feel very good when using the XOOPS CMS (content management), and when posting to the forums. :)

Thank you very much.

RealMcCoy
  • 2010/7/24 12:21

• RealMcCoy

• Just popping in

Um... thanks linux-ws, that was really nice.

Does anyone have a link to a website which is using the publisher module in the ways that I have described, so that I might see it "in action"? It would be hugely appreciated - I'm having a little trouble just "imagining" how it would work (I can imagine what I want, just not sure how to use publisher to do it).

Thanks in advance,
RM

linux-ws
  • 2010/7/24 13:29

• linux-ws

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/20

Reply to: RealMcCoy

I could maybe upload the latest XOOPS 2.4.5 to a test domain name on my website, but I have no idea where to download the latest Publisher 1.0 alpha version, because the website has not download links, and I already tried looking.

Thank you very much.
Audio Bible Online
http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

Must See - Actual videos of people going to hell and back.
http://embarktoheaven.com/

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits